SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Liveaboard Rentals

51K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 ·
Hi All!

This site looks fantastic. Seems to have plenty of information regarding sailing in general and lots of specialized topics in specific. First place I came to is the "Liveaboards" forum, because that is just what my wife and I would like to do.

I performed a search before asking this question and found no thread:

Is there such a service that allows "renting" of liveaboards? I'm familiar with the day, weekend or even weekly rentals, but what about longer term? This would be with the idea of "try before you buy".

Any suggestions?

Fair Winds,

DS in SD

#2 ·
Nope...as far as I know, it doesn't exist... they make far more money chartering...and if you're going to be just living aboard... it is going to get really expensive to do that.

#4 ·
My land-based overhead (pretty decent neighborhood) is just over $3500/mo total including rent to somebody else. I could own a very, very nice boat (understanding there will always be slip fees going to somebody else too) in some of the most prime real estate in SoCal for less, including all associated costs with living aboard.

We've been researching for about a year now and although some things seem daunting sometimes, we're moving forward. When the reason is big enough, the facts don't count.

The trick now is to find a boat we can be OK with, because we need the transferable slip. Then, we can pursue the boat we really want once the slip is ours. We've positioned ourselves for this opportunity and it's a waiting game now. Maybe we'll get lucky and the boat will actully be the 'right' one, too.

I met a lady just before a Beer-Can race one afternoon who told me she was renting a liveaboard right there in the marina for the boat I crew aboard and now cannot locate her again to ask specifics. She was purchasing a bigger boat and was renting this other one in the meantime and it wasn't a chartered boat or a friend's either. It was a legit business with reasonable fees she said. I'm actually heading to the dockmaster this weekend to inquire about it.

It just seems like it would be a realistic trial, especially for my wife who has more reservations about it all than me....she's the smart one :eek:. However, she is willing to really give it an honest try, because of many factors.

Any advice steering me toward my goal would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Sawfish,

I would really like to know how you guys make out.

Im in the process of doing the same thing. Selling my house and picking up a 44 foot motoryacht for under $20,000. It will be the first time living full-time on a boat (although I have friends who have been doing it for years).

Where are you guys considering?

J.

#6 ·
Jimi71

Home port will be San Diego. I like traditional styles (Vagabond, Hans Christen, Baba), my wife likes more modern since they tend to afford a lot more natural light in the saloon (Hunters, Catalinas). But, we will take whatever comes with a transferable slip in a decent marina here in SD (within reason.)

When are you going to "cutover" to the boat, when the house is sold? And do you have a spouse to consider?

DS

#9 ·
Sawfish-

I would ignore Islander46... most likely a spam bot getting ready to flood sailnet with a load of spam...

#11 ·
This is my first post and I agree with you about this site, it is great and full of useful info. I am a liveaboard living in Toronto with my wife Vicky on a Roberts 44 offshore. I traded up to this boat from a Ranger 33 that I bought as my first boat. I also lived on the Ranger all year but when I got married she was to small for us. Anyway, DO IT. Buy a boat and do it. My wife is from the US who was living in TN working in a church when I met her and she just loves it on board, even in winter. $3500 US a month is a lot of money just going down the drain,:) We spend about a grand Canadian a month to live almost downtown at a club with everthing you need. Just do it, you can't beat the lifestyle and all the people you meet makes it just that much better. We are going to take the boat south this year with other boats and I just can't wait for that. DO IT, buy a boat and move on board, thats all I can say.

#12 ·
We are pretty much in the same "boat". We live in a coastal community and commute to the city for work. We are currently leasing but looking to purchase our own cat or larger monohull to live aboard and begin our transition to a sailing/scuba charter business. We want to put our monthly $$$ into something that could be ours like a rent to as we are not quite in a position to purchase outright at this time. I see so many neglected boats sitting in marinas and/or anchored sail boat that could use a little love. We are always looking and hoping that perfect boat shows up at the right moment. Many are overpriced needing so much work and others are in mint condition and you would be embarrassed to offer less than asking and that is where the banks tend to deny any financing due to the boats actual monetary worth.

#14 ·
Finding a marina and getting a slip that will allow live aboard is going to be the elephant in the room. In Coastal California there is an artificial limit on live aboard slips. In the SF Bay Area, live aboards are limited to 10% of the slips in a Marina. In the AlaWai in Honolulu, live aboard slips are limited and subject to some pretty steep increase in rates. In Oceanside, live aboard slips are limited, have a surcharge, and live aboard permission not transferable with sail of the boat and slip. Just a sample of how requirements differ.

Best to do your homework to find out the costs and limitations of a live aboard slip. In many cases will require buying a boat you may not be in love with to acquire the live aboard rights. Lastly, get it all in writing and don't make any assumptions, require proof you can do what you want.

#16 ·
Is the marina aware of your plans? What marina is it, I am looking for a bigger boat to live on starting this spring. I would say to PM me, but you won't be able to but you can email me at my username at gmail.

By the way, the original poster started this a long time ago, so likely figured it out one way or the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.