Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Is Anne Coulter not available? She has nice feathers and can repeat anything she hears. The only downside is she has to be on starboard all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
How about a fair sized snake. Quiet, reliable rat hunter, keeps most pirates at bay, only needs feeding once a crossing. Never known to suffer from sea sickness, obtains respect even from customs officers. Not required to carry a rabies certificate. Sleeps mostly between meals. Swims well.....

But sadly, absolutely no loyalty...
Old 03-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have owned an eclectic(sp??) parrot.

http://www.pbase.com/lou_rozensteins/image/52443502

She looked just like that bird.

They are extremely likeable, awesome pets. Live a very long time (you will pass down to your kids and grandkids). They are very smart. Greys build more of a one person bond than an eccletic or some of the others. People talk about keeping your parrott safe, etc from cats and dogs. Well, our parrott would attach BOTH! We did not have cats, but she had no problem nailing them. She hit Scooter so many times I cannot tell you. She would sit on my shoulder while I watched TV, and if he was anywhere near me, she would carefully walk down my leg, sneak up on him, and nail him. No lie. Finally Scooter started hiding under the bed. I am sure there are people with cats, dogs, and parrotts, but in my bit of experience, they are not a good mix. One of them (or all) will suffer. Just my opinion.

A parrott would be awesome on a boat. At the time, we were looking at a trawler, where she could comfortbaly sit in the cockpit in her cage. But, with all the rediculous regs on cruising and the fact that either she or Scooter had to go, we ended up GIVING (Yes, GIVING) her away to a old couple we knew that were serious parrott lovers but could not afford the up front. I could not give a crap about the money, it felt good and was the right thing to do and they still try and keep in touch with us.

If I were never going to leave the US, I would travel with a parrott. They are literally as smart (or smarter) than a 5 year old child. They form a very, very close bond with you (closer than a dog?? for those of you that have owned a dog).

There is a magazine published called the Parrott Quarterly. Really good info before you spend many thousands on a parrott. You don't have to get them real young, but the older parrotts seem to have problems letting loose of other ties and learning tricks. But, even an old one will make a good pet. There are rescue groups if you do not want to drop a couple of grand, plus cage, etc. Reputable breeders advertise there too - but most reputable breeders will INTERVIEW YOU!! Not you them. They will question the crap out of you about your knolwedge of the birds - and won't sell if they feel uncomfortable. They are a real committment -more than a dog becuase of the life span. I would compare it to a horse, perhaps, becuase both are expensive, take daily interaction, and live a long time. If you are not prepared for all three (plus the upfront $$), it will be a miserable experience for both you and the pet.

If you are looking for a first parrott, the eccletic is the most difficult but will bond with more than one, a grey is the most loving and caring but will typically only have one bond. The cages and equipment are very expensive. Budget 500-1000, easy. They need constant interaction, but you will immeditaely be the focus of attention in ANY crowd. Biggest predators are not cats, I think they are eagles & hawks (and other large predatory birds). Keep your eye on the sky. Dont quote me on the cat part, I just know our ecletic liked the taste of them. I guess a cat is a serious predator too.

All this said, I stand behind what I wrote earlier. If you are going outside the US, and maybe even inside, you will be very limited (to the point of miserable) with a parrott.

Hope that helps.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 03-06-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
... knew a fella, had a Grey ...
bird had the run of the house ...
one day, it shredded his DD214 ...
knew a fella, used to have a Grey ...
Old 03-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Funny Bob!!

THey are great animals. I think they are best suited to a single or maybe a couple. Lifelong companions!! They just are not good for cruising.

Funny thing is, I always thought of old Cockeyed as having a parrott. Was that you I saw with the black patch and old green bird sailing past me the other day?? Just kidding.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-06-2007

CD
That was no old green bird, that was my wife!
Old 03-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Bob... you are sooo funny!! Divorced, but funny!!

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-06-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
Is Anne Coulter not available? She has nice feathers and can repeat anything she hears. The only downside is she has to be on starboard all the time.
Cute!

I'm not on the Right, BTW.
Old 03-06-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
Thanks, CruisingDad
Old 03-06-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Bob... you are sooo funny!! Divorced, but funny!!
CD ... divorced? naw, pumpin' her bilge everyweekend been keepin' 'er afloat fer 'bout thirty years now ... wink wink ... she's a QT3.14!!!!!!

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 03-06-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.