SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Parrots on liveaborads/circumnavigations doable? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/29454-parrots-liveaborads-circumnavigations-%96-doable.html)

RAGNAR 02-21-2007 04:05 PM

Parrots on liveaborads/circumnavigations doable?

:o Hello All,

I've been cruising this site for some time now; I finally took the two minutes to join.

I have a simple Q:

Does anyone have any experience with keeping a parrot in a liveaborad situation and/or an extended cruise?

(Yes, I have the bandana, eye-patch, ear stud, curved saber, and puffy shirt all picked out, and will be investing in an Oxford Maritime Dictionary -- I'm even practicing my Jack Sparrow imitation...:o )

My thanks in advance

Ragnar

TrueBlue 02-21-2007 04:13 PM

We have owned a parrot, years ago, but never lived aboard with one. They're very adaptable creatures - shouldn't present any unusual problems.

Our dockmates do have a green parrot and place the cage in the cockpit during nice weather while at dock. Other times, it hangs above the dinette - built-in gimbal, you know.

Training it to perch on your shoulder, well . . . I''ll just leave that to the resident pirates here.

wallybygolly 02-21-2007 10:07 PM

I have a Temneh African Grey parrot (she is about 13 inches long) and does great with the liveaboard thing. They really do adapt to almost anything and will just like being with you...plus, I'm sure they love seeing all the new things, etc. Just be careful of anything you do in the cabin concerning cleaning supplies and stuff...also I assume you know about the Teflon cooking thing (and not to do it).

RAGNAR 02-22-2007 12:51 AM

Thank you for the replies.

A grey, wallybygolly, is exactly the species I have in mind. Sure, it won't look right when I go pirate, but they're brilliant, excellent "talkers" and sweet.

Faster 02-22-2007 11:06 AM

I'd think for a wanna-be seafarin' scallywag the parrot should be mandatory!

RAGNAR 02-22-2007 02:05 PM

Well, that's the thing with wannabes: they have no clue what the minimum requirements are to fake the image in question.

Ragnar

iknoebl 03-03-2007 01:06 PM

Parrot on board

Hi all,
This is my first post to this forum. I also have a timneh grey, about 4 years old. Lola does just fine on board when we cruise the inland waterways on our boat. She likes to watch the other wildlife, although she doesn't like when we go through the locks. The most important thing from the bird's point of view is that they are with you. Timneh's are the sweetest, most intelligent birds. They will bond with you, or another member of the family very strongly. If you are not familiar with keeping a parrot, try to do some research about them and the particular challenges of having a parrot. I think they make the perfect pet for cruising. As was mentioned in an earlier post -- do not have any teflon products on your boat or in your home. The fumes are absolutely deadly to birds. Also, no chemical cleaner fumes allowed. Birds have very sensitive lungs and can die from such fumes.

I would not recommend walking around with the parrot on your shoulder outdoors, even with clipped wings. If they take off, chances are you'll never find them again. Don't forget, they live a long time, so they'll be your companion for many years to come.

P.S. -- I don't think the puffy-sleeved shirt is mandatory for pirates anymore.

Iris

Cruisingdad 03-03-2007 06:33 PM

I only have a second but saw this and had to reply:

A parrott is NOT a good partner for cruising. If you are going to stay in the US and have an implant, you will probably be ok. But try going into some of the south islands, etc and you may very well find yourself denied entry. Parrotts are one of THE MOST illegally trafficed animals in the world. Unbelievable red tape for entry and exit with those birds.

It is not the boat that is the problem, it is the governments of other countries - especially where these birds are native and are being stolen and sold on the black market. Not to mention, you might just come back and find tweety's cage open and heading out to some shop somewhere.

All I am saying is that you need to check your destination. It is not like here in the US where these birds are not native and can be bought at any local bird store.

Just FYI. US, it is ok. Outside, you better check FIRST! Here is just one quick example I threw out.

http://www.vpj.com/policies.htm?Iden...n+requirements

Cruisingdad 03-03-2007 06:34 PM

Iris,

WHere have you cruised with your bird? How much/where outside the US? Any native islands? Please correct me if I am wrong.

RAGNAR 03-05-2007 02:58 AM

Thank you all.

Like many people here, we do want to sail aborad, and the points made above will be reserched.

All the best to you,

Ragnar