Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
I appreciate all the replies

(I'd love that M30 toughbook -- just to own an electronic something that didn't need to by pampered 24/7.)

Ragnar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2007

cbayermd is on a distinguished road
My iBook G4 is great. It recently FLEW across the cabin in some rough weather and didn't miss a beat.
Old 03-18-2007

captainchetco is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever tried opening a lap top and spraying it with "Corrosion Block" or CRC "Corrosion Inhibitor? I'm thinking of trying it with a garage sale old laptop. Any thoughts?
Not from personal experience, but from a couple who have been cruising since 1997, they have found the life of all of the lap tops they have purchased, (all the common brands, but I'm not sure about "Toughbook") regardless of price, is 18 months to 2 years. They keep a spare one, an external drive for backup, and just buy a new one on this schedule.
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The two laptops I use onboard my boat are a 12" Mac PowerBook, and an ancient Toshiba Tecra 8000, which is at least eight years old. Most of the applications you use on a boat aren't really all that high powered... word processing, e-mail, web surfing, are all easily handled by even fairly old hardware. Some of the newer navigation software requires a bit more muscle.

I've seen a few attempts at corrosion proofing normal laptops, but the heat inside them generally seems to cause some problems for any type of spray-on corrosion inhibitor. These machines run pretty hot inside.

Ideally, I'd like to get a ruggedized one, but can't justify spending that kind of money, when I can get away with this older hardware for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chet, computers these days run above microwave frequencies internally. And at that range, every part of the circuit board, even the traces themselves, are active components. So you will be changing (de-tuning) the circuit board and you stand better than a 50-50 chance of making the computer unstable.

And that's not counting the overheating it can cause.

Might work, might not, but anyone in the business of making those computers will tell you they don't offer them coated--because it would be a major redesign job to try making them work reliably afterwards.

I know folks who find cell phones, CD players, MP3 players, laptops, never last them more than a year or two. And others who get 5++ years from the same devices. Sometimes, the only difference is in how you use and care for them. Treat a laptop like a book, and yes, it will break before two years are up.
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've had my Toshiba Tecra 8000 since it was brand new, and it is a PII 266 CPU-based machine...to give you an idea of its age. The only real problem it has, even after two years aboard boats, and another seven plus of being kicked around the country is that the battery is basically kaput. It isn't the fastest machine out there, and I only use it for a rather limited set of programs...but it gets the job done and would do 99% of anything I need a computer to do. Main reason I don't use it for more is I prefer working on my PowerBook... much more elegant OS....better software/hardware integration, better programs for most things, etc.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-18-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I do bow to Sailingdog,s Mac Powerbook. I am also "sold" on the Mac. I have been since the early Apple's in the 1980's. But on the boat I use a Toshiba Satellite. So far it seems to be a good solid machine.
Old 03-18-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Given that very little on a boat...including most current nav programs...require much in the way of hard drive space or vast computing power, once again the case is made for looking on laptops as semi-expendable devices (like impellers, maybe?). That said, you could buy eight three-year-old used laptops for the cost of one new Toughbook or the flashier sort of Mac. Maybe the idea is to buy two or three at a time, back them up to each other once a week or so, and then to keep the "spares" in sealed bags with dessicant. You've have spare power supplies as well.
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

I think, instead of getting a bunch of laptops, getting a small micro-desktop and a decent transreflective IPX7 LCD monitor might make more sense for most people. If I can find a good source for a transreflective LCD, I might start making custom packages for sailors I know.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-18-2007

toddrtownsend is on a distinguished road
Thumbdrive!

I'm not out there yet [but will be April 15, woo hoo] but right now I have a work laptop, a Mac at home, and an older Compaq laptop that is mine. Besides iTunes I don't keep much on any of the machines. I have a 1GB thumbdrive I keep what I need on.

Also, if I want a more failsafe, I send myself an email with an attachment and save important documents on gmail's server.

I am looking at getting one of the larger flash based external harddrives. And perhaps an ipod. I back up what little I keep on all three machines and I back up the flashdrive regularly.

For the penguiny lurkers, my laptop has a small Win2K slice on it [for a side job], the rest is Xubuntu, very fast and up-to-date as well. I had Slackware on it, but I didn't have time to hand dig everything. I miss it but it is gone.

TrT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.