Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
I don't know about sailing nav packages, but if you've seen the job that TomTom and other "car nav" packages can do on the Palm Treo and other "smartphone" devices...Hey, it fits in your pocket, runs all day on a small battery, and a 320x320 "half vga" screen isn't such a bad place to start.

Of course Treos are unsuitable for use on deck, because there's no lanyard attachment point. But a nav package that could live on a computer below, and then either "dump a session" or integrate with bluetooth to the handheld on deck...that's just GOT to be coming on the market soon. It makes entirely too much sense, and would do many jobs very nicely.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
But a nav package that could live on a computer below, and then either "dump a session" or integrate with bluetooth to the handheld on deck...that's just GOT to be coming on the market soon. It makes entirely too much sense, and would do many jobs very nicely.
I can't argue with that, which is why I'm not a zealot for my own ideas. If I leave for bluewater cruising in mid-'09, I should make pretty well all my electronics purchases and decisions by, say, March '09. The time between then and now is the time to test-bed the cheap 'n' cheerful stuff, like using existing nav freeware on already amortized laptops in fresh water.

It's a good time to field test stuff like armatures, screen pivots and various connections and PSes for durability. I can find plenty of rough water of limited duration on Lake Ontario, if I go looking for it. Especially in spring and fall.
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
SD-
I don't know about sailing nav packages, but if you've seen the job that TomTom and other "car nav" packages can do on the Palm Treo and other "smartphone" devices...Hey, it fits in your pocket, runs all day on a small battery, and a 320x320 "half vga" screen isn't such a bad place to start.

Of course Treos are unsuitable for use on deck, because there's no lanyard attachment point. But a nav package that could live on a computer below, and then either "dump a session" or integrate with bluetooth to the handheld on deck...that's just GOT to be coming on the market soon. It makes entirely too much sense, and would do many jobs very nicely.
This is basically already possible. Look at Fugawi Global Navigator... it has PDA versions for both WinCE and Palm devices. Also, you could do something similar with almost any PDA if you used it to remotely control the PC via something like VNC.

The only problems I have with the PDAs are screen size, robustness and battery life. The 3" diagonal screen is a bit tough to work with, most are allergic to water and salt-laden air and the battery life is only so-so with them, especially if their wireless radio for either BlueTooth or WiFi is going full tilt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-20-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
yikes, I sail to get away from computers.
Old 03-20-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
"Also, you could do something similar with almost any PDA if you used it to remotely control the PC via something like VNC." Good point, I think there is bluetooth remote control software for the Palms now to control PC's. Or maybe, that needs the internet connection, for now.

Battery life...yeah, limited, but I'm thinking more along the lines of "check the charts, go back to piloting" so it could sleep for 50 minutes or more on every hour. Waterproof? Oh heck, these things fit in ziplock bags if you don't want to buy an EWA pouch of something better.

Me, I just know that every time I go below, there's some kinda problem on deck. Giant Kraken, Narwhal, collision with aliens...Poseidon has made it clear that I'm supposed to Stay On Deck and "do not stand in front of the white line while bus is in motion" so who am I to argue with that?

Best of all, the really really tiny computers KNOW how easily you can chuck 'em overboard, so they are really insecure and they'll do anything to make sure they can crawl back in your pocket. Not smug like the big balky ones that think they run the show.
Old 03-28-2007

yggdrasill is on a distinguished road
Dell

My D505 has expereinced salt water, the power was off and I imiediatly took it appart and cleaned it, but It still has been on a salt water boat for more than a year.

ALSO, the most bad ass boat on the Ashley River
Old 03-28-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
What happens over time to an ordinary Dell laptop if it's used and stored below decks?
Sailhog
Old 03-28-2007
Plausible Deniability

Sailhog-
If you are surrounded by, or even visited by, friends or crew who know and love you? It gets hauled away and burned, and then they take birch branches and whip your knuckles every time you try to call Dell to get a new one.
Try this, if you have the Dell extra cost "four years everything including drop and spill proof" warranty extension. Throw it overboard, haul it up, have them come and replace it. Repeat five times.

(Sorry, Dell have just spent too much effort EARNING my love.)

Hey, they're in the commodity goods business. Their laptops work, or not, about as well as any other consumer electronic goods. Clock radios, VCRs, Dell laptops...all the same.
Old 03-28-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Hello, Hellosailor,
It was the marine environment angle to this that I was wondering about, you silly goose.
Sailhog
Old 12-22-2008

dvdcnl is on a distinguished road
Itronix laptop

You can buy used Itronix 6250's on ebay pretty cheap. Either get a 266 or 300 mhz. They usually come with 128meg ram and a 6 gig hd. These things are the original rugged laptops. I've hooked my garmin gps to it and the software shows where the little boat is. The processor is plenty fast enough for nav software.