Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Basics that was hard learned.
A. Lash you computer down. It doesn't fly very well, when the boat takes a roll.
B. Keep it away from open port lights and hatches. Boarding seas are very hard on them.
C. Have a manual backup for all of the data you are keeping on the computer. Especially logs, Navigation and other boat reasons for that computer.
D. Referring to C. Have a hard copy of every thing you are putting into that computer. Flash drives are no good if you don't have a computer to plug them into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Only one small problem with the Itronix 6250: The OS. They will work with Microsoft Windows® 95/98, Windows NT 4.0 (according to Itronix) and if you want anything newer--no drivers.

A lot of the used ones have also been in 24x7 fleet use and the displays may be very dim as a result. They are damn near bulletproof, but they're also terribly obsolete at this point. Running the older OSes may mean you just can't run more modern software. Running a newer ruggedized PC, may mean quite a higher price.
Old 12-22-2008

Guzzi is on a distinguished road
You can run Windoze on any older Mac, just get a program called Virtual PC.

I have it on my old iMac G3 266. Runs great!
Old 12-22-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
No Money

Different environmet but.
Acer - Aspire Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200 - AS5735-4774

I think this was the modle but not sure..sent a E to cheak.Has ben incountry for 5 years.Survived 3 explosive truck problems and all the dirt/dust/rest of the crap.Man that gave it to me said pass it on.I did so am cheaking on the numbers on it.

Point is...$400 laptop!!!!
For what is needed with proper backup...we are a disposible society.To be knocked arount in the boat why buy a expensive one?
My Thoughts
Mark
Old 12-22-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
My cousin has a toughbook and it has survived several Bermuda passages, the last one beating both ways. I have a "semi tough" panasonic called "Lets Note" that has a shock mounted hard drive that has done fine sailing for the past year. I would vote for either one.

But if money were no object (or it was somebody else's money from work) I would get one of those new laptops with no hard drive - only flash drive memory and so no moving parts at all. Those have GOT to be more shock resistant than anything with a standard hard drive. Hideously expensive right now since they just came out but they will get cheaper like everything else always does
Old 12-22-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"I would get one of those new laptops with no hard drive - only flash drive memory "
Good news, you can buy an SSD (Solid State hard Drive) to fit almost any standard laptop these days, several companies make them for the general market. Still a bit pricey--but dirt cheap compared to two years ago.
Old 01-06-2009
The Mutt

TheMutt is on a distinguished road
Have a look at a Carputer using a mini motherboard with built-in graphics and sound, any television that has computer input or cheap computer monitor with dc power will do the job specially if you can put the monitor under some clear plastic, the carputer can be put anywhere out of the elements and use a wireless mouse and waterproof keyboard.

Glenn

Remember, growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional
Old 01-12-2009
Making Ready

dsiddens is on a distinguished road
HP Pavilion on board

I've been using my refurbished Paviliion on board with a Rootenna with the electronics inside (POE) (wisp router.com) Over the summer I dribbled sweat down my forearms so much that the salt rusted the speaker grill in front. Still working after 4 years.
Doug
Old 01-12-2009

TradewindSailing is on a distinguished road
Itronix GoBook III

We got a couple of Itronix Gobook III of ebay and such. One at the nav station, one on deck. I would call them spill-resistant, not water resistant.

The mechanics are tough, and performace isn't too bad: 1.8GHz, touch screen 1024x768, sunlight visible. We had a Gobook II before: 1.7Ghz same screen. One problem with the older GoBook II: USB v1.1 = slow, GoBook III has I firewire and Usb 2.0

They do come with various extras. The optional backlit keyboard is great, the standard nitevue "glow-in-the-dark" looses the luminicense soon after darkness. One of our GoBook III has a GPS built in (SIRF chip).

Also look for HP nr36x0:
* HP nr3600 = rebranded Itronix GoBook II
* HP nr3610 = rebranded Itronix GoBook III

Drivers for special components are available for Win2k and XP from the Itronix / General Dynamics website.

A fair warning: I have not been impressed with responses and service from HP or Itronix. You are pretty much on your own besides the updated drivers they do have.

Edit: I forgot: the optional docking station will not loose the laptop, even in a rollover. Another piece of fine mechanics.

Last edited by TradewindSailing; 01-12-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2009
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrtownsend View Post
I'm not out there yet [but will be April 15, woo hoo] but right now I have a work laptop, a Mac at home, and an older Compaq laptop that is mine. Besides iTunes I don't keep much on any of the machines. I have a 1GB thumbdrive I keep what I need on.

Also, if I want a more failsafe, I send myself an email with an attachment and save important documents on gmail's server.

I am looking at getting one of the larger flash based external harddrives. And perhaps an ipod. I back up what little I keep on all three machines and I back up the flashdrive regularly.

For the penguiny lurkers, my laptop has a small Win2K slice on it [for a side job], the rest is Xubuntu, very fast and up-to-date as well. I had Slackware on it, but I didn't have time to hand dig everything. I miss it but it is gone.

TrT

Ok, you now have my attention

Have you thought about an Eee PC? They're small, light weight, low power consumption, and cheap to replace if you have to. Plus they come with Linux (Xandros or you can install Eeebuntu) preinstalled.

Oh, as for the WinXP slice? Who needs it? Load up Virtualbox or VMWare and run it in a natvie mode.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--