Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Oopise there goes the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Inquiring minds want to know
When working out of Trinidad, on Supply boats at Galiota Pt. When passing the point outbound I ran into the confluence of the tidal stream and the seas went from smooth to eight footers. Needless to say complacency of previous runs in the same area added greatly to the error train that caused my computer to go flying off the console. The flying part didn't hurt the computer, it was the crash landing. Similar to jumping off a high building without a paracute.

So lash your computer down. It don't take much effort to do so if you have installed two Tie-down points for it and a bungee cord.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 01-29-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Velcro works well too... and allows you to close the lid as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
When working out of Trinidad, on Supply boats at Galiota Pt. When passing the point outbound I ran into the confluence of the tidal stream and the seas went from smooth to eight footers. Needless to say complacency of previous runs in the same area added greatly to the error train that caused my computer to go flying off the console. The flying part didn't hurt the computer, it was the crash landing. Similar to jumping off a high building without a paracute.

So lash your computer down. It don't take much effort to do so if you have installed two Tie-down points for it and a bungee cord.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2009

JPerkins is on a distinguished road
like glass...good suggestion.
Old 07-16-2009

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I think paying for a toughbook that will NOT be used in the cockpit for navigation is a waste of money personally. I had two Toshibas while out cruising. One died when I left it unsecured while crossing the gulf stream...duh. The other gave up when the screen went bad after 3 years of use. Presently using an HP with 19" screen (love it!)...the total price for all three was about $1000 less than a single Toughbook 30 and if I had bought one 6 years ago and it still was working, it would be an antique today. I do have a backup USB hard drive so I don't lose any important stuff in a crash. But you can get a heck of a nice laptop these days for well under $1k and if you get 3 years out of it on board...then you probably are lusting for something new anyway!!
Toughbooks are great if you really need the rugged/waterproof/daylight capable screen....but if not, get a "throwaway" and back it up and you'll be ahead of the game financially and feature wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I think, instead of getting a bunch of laptops, getting a small micro-desktop and a decent transreflective IPX7 LCD monitor might make more sense for most people. If I can find a good source for a transreflective LCD, I might start making custom packages for sailors I know.
This is another thread I have read with interest. I have been wondering how my laptop will fare onboard and what precautions I can take to insure it continues to function well (other than not keeping 17 windows open while posting on forums).

And again I find a wealth of information ... thanks to all and especially camaraderie and sailingdog ... I find your insight extremely helpful.

Just a note ... I also find it somewhat incongruous ... that I ended up purchasing my Cal 28 for a little more than twice what I paid for my laptop (HP Pavilion dv3510nr) ... but then I know that my priorities have changed rather drastically of late ... as I understand that I will be spending many more dollars (as well as time and energy) ... enjoying my dream.
Old 07-16-2009

hillerpd is on a distinguished road
Used a Fujitsu Lifebook 350 for 9 years while we were cruising. Still have it in a closet, take it out every now and then, still works fine.
Old 07-16-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Three years ago I started using a HP Pavillion. Worked well, a bit heavy to lug around and then the screen went wonky. I use that one at home now. The screen is fine but I never close it. You had to squeeze it a bit to get it to work so it sits open on my desk all the time. Last year I got an Acer Netbook and really like it. Much more portable. I don't use the computers for navigation having a chartplotter but do have a GPS engine that plugs into the computer as an emergency backup.

Old 07-19-2009

dryclean is on a distinguished road
Powering the laptop

Is it possible to power the laptop with an inverter hooked up to your battery and or solar panel
Old 07-19-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Yes, that's how we power our laptop. Inverter and battery. But if you're using one of those portable inverters make sure it's big enough.

Old 07-19-2009

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I don't use the computers for navigation having a chartplotter but do have a GPS engine that plugs into the computer as an emergency backup.
Vasco ...

If you don't mind ... which one?

I don't currently have a hand held GPS unit ... yet
it IS on my list of things to get but so many more things need attention first ... and I will be doing day sailing in SF Bay at first ... and would like to be learning to plot and navigate ...
Old 07-20-2009

dryclean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, that's how we power our laptop. Inverter and battery. But if you're using one of those portable inverters make sure it's big enough.
how much power is the one you use