Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2002

kestrel268 is on a distinguished road
SW FLA & Part-time Liveaboards

thanks for the w/m advice and a guestion for "THE PIRATE OF PINE ISLAND"
A friend in Halifax NS a few years ago told me of some folks who were trying to get a restauraunt and docking facility afloat in Matlacha. One of the principles is a gentleman from Newfoundland.. I''m in St.Petersberg and would like to check it out...looks like going on the inside of Pine Island w/5''draft might be "fun"...any advice?
thanks dh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

None! except we had close friends do it in an O''Day 37 last month had to stay right in the channel,they bumped once.We only draw
3''6" with the boards up.NO PROBLMO !!!
Old 01-26-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy Kestrel268, Aye Malatcha be a fine if not bohemian place . Not so sure it be a good investment though. The road to the island was just passed over by the state for improvements and the residents like it simple. As far as yeer draft your in big trouble. Motor in motor out. Period. MUD Mud mud can''t say it any more clearly. The north end is tolerable under power the south is not worth the trouble. The prevailing winds do not help much as well. I draw four feet and low tide the barnacles get scrapped off regularly and often plus the fact that most charts haven''t been updated for a century out to tell you something. The area is not know as a sailboat haven for a reason. Visually you''d think just the opposite but the requirements and problems with getting the place dredged into a highly usable bit of water would be like asking the state to put in fans to blow up some wind for you . Mind you it''s an ok place to stop at and is laid back with little services for sailors.It is an execellent place to duck into in a bad blow. Mind you of me Tax due upon entering the mouth of the Harbor of Port Charlotte. I be scanning the horizon for ye. Big red the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 01-30-2002

Surferjon7 is on a distinguished road

Hey mate,

I''down in Naples and an old sailing mate of mine is trying to find a place to live aboard his 37'' Irwin ketch and prices are outrageous down here. Would appreciate any info on potential places up there

Cheers, John
Old 02-05-2002

BobShannon is on a distinguished road

halyardz i am in sarasota what size boat do you need to be tended?
Old 02-15-2002

kevingarthwaite is on a distinguished road

Ahoy Mates,
The Florida Keys has a large live aboard infrastructure. Almost every town has marinas that support livaboards with dock space of about 10.00 a foot plus electricity. If your paying more than that, (except for Key West) you''re probably getting raked over the coals. And of course, there are plenty of private people who want to rent space behind their houses. These are usually listed in the papers. And if your willing to live on the hook, your possibilities are limitless. Just sail her south, and start living the dream man.
Kevin
Old 03-13-2002

capndeb is on a distinguished road

I live aboard in Ft. Lauderdale. Hendricks Isle and Isle of Venice still have some liveaboard slips open running $500 to $700/mo depending on amenities. The city marinas in Miami also advertise for less. It''s getting harder to find places to liveaboard here as new condos are being built all around us.
Old 03-19-2002

tigereagle is on a distinguished road

I have been having the same problem; I can''t find a liveaboard community in the Miami area unless I go to the Keys. Unfortunately, I still have to work (in Miami); the City Marinas are all booked for years to come. Any ideas anyone?
Old 03-26-2002

derekh is on a distinguished road

Hello Capndeb and any other south Fl liveaboards,

We would love to establish a dialog with you, have now started a plan to sell house up north and move the boat down to south florida to liveaboard there...

am curious about ease or not of finding such a slip, costs, when to look so we have a slip by end of summer etc... each day that passes brings more questions! as i''m sur eyou can imagine!..

we have a 49'' sailboat, definitly would prefer a community around us to liveaboard vs a slip off by itself.

reagrds

and thanks in advance

derek
Old 06-19-2002

mischief30m is on a distinguished road

There is always the free anchorage at Matanzass pass off FMB. They are trying to charge for moorings. Emphaisize "trying".Also if you can keep either get below 45 ft powerline along southern approach or stick to red markers within 2 miles of bridge if travelling from the north, Old fish house Marina in Matlacha offers live aboard slips and is a cool place to hang out providing you have a car as the place is a bit isolated.