Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
SW FLA & Part-time Liveaboards

Since this board is so low on the list, I think many folks pass it by. I''m in need of some general info on leaving my boat in SW FLA and living aboard it part of the time as we transition to living in FL full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy halyardz I am living your plan now. What area are you going to be in and if your like us you''ll find its very difficult to be in two places at once. Cutting the ties is another thing all together. I have a list of liveaboard marinas and prices from the newspaper in FT Myers / Port Charlotte area if it helps. See you on the horizon. Pirate of Pine Island,
Old 01-13-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

Marathon in the keys has a big liveaboard fleet at anchorage.Depending on your budget A couple of marinas in Marathon charge about $750 for a 42''er with liveaboard priviledges,electric is seperate.You can anchor out at Bradenton on the West Coast
right across from the marina, in front of the county park.A couple of boats hve been there for at least 6mo.There is a launch ramp and heads aqshore there and no charge to chain up your dinghy!
Old 01-13-2002

I''m always curious about other chat rooms or boards,perhaps ypu could e-mail me some of those you look at!
Old 01-13-2002

I''m always curious about other chat rooms or boards,perhaps ypu could e-mail me some of those you look at!
Old 01-13-2002

I''d like to see that list from Ft Myers and
learn more about the Bradenton area. Those
represent the north/south of our target range. Red, how''s that transition going you
old crusty pirate?
Old 01-13-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, halyardz , I can be reached at mredden@earthlink .net . I''ll have this article and list scanned onto a disk and then I can send it to you. As far as the transition things are going well the boat is progressing well and the only complaint would be the variety and interesting diversions available here . My marina ,a commercial fishing outpost, isn''t what you''d think to be the kind of place on anyones list but it sure is cheap enough and very close to the gulf at the mouth of Charlotte harbor. $4.00'' plus tax per month. I''ve had more trouble with bankers and loan people and the like understanding the concept of dual residency. Health Insurance went way up , auto way down. Some of this stuff forces you to chose residency one place or the other, so look at each process carefully. Wound up with two internet providers double all utility stuff(if you keep the fridge and heat on up north). Starts to motivate one to cut the ties. I''ve kept my fiberglass business up north and can operate here but the idea of moving my shop here is scary. Tractor trailer scary. Otherwise all is well. Our motto is go slow look at every move six ways and keep looking ahead. Sailing here is great and we have our first winter guest comming down for a sail. Nice to be able to play with life a little. Love all the posite response here at sailnet and hope me pirate ways don''t offend too many of me aquaintences. Then again wot''s the plank for anyway? Big Red the Pirate of Pine Island. See you on the horizon (smoking from me broadside I thinks)
Old 01-15-2002

Big Red, thanks for the post. I gave you a back channel hail. We are gonna have to keep a house up here for a few years to see the kids settled but plan to bring the boat down in 03 or 04 at the latest. While we plan to retire, we also plan to work parttime to fund the cruising habit. We figured once the final move is made, we get
a $10k boost to income from not paying NYS income tax and huge property tax bills but the FLA salaries are lower too. Yah, the health insurance might be a PITA too.

Darcy...what type of boards are you interested in? In terms of chat, the CWBB is about the busiest with good info.
Old 01-18-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

Yo Beeg Red LVI (a.k.a. Pirate of Pine Island),

Is that offer of a list of live-aboard marinas and prices in the Fort Meyers/Port Charlotte area available to sailors other than halyardz? I left an email for you at mredden@earthlink.net but haven''t gotten a response. I don''t mean to be a pest but I''d appreciate a copy of the list if it isn''t too much of a bother. The offer of the rum''n''cokes or Dark''n''Stormys stands regardless...Thanks
Old 01-21-2002

marsh025 is on a distinguished road

Hello to all. I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas as to where I could find a reasonable live aboard community around the south Florida area either near Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or surrounding communities. Also how much would it cost?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.