Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
SD,

Thank you. In addition to your comments, a cat is faster, can be beached, more comfortable, etc, etc... but until the marinas come around, it will be a headache. I like cat's - I really do. Their positives are many and the drawbacks are few. Unfortunately, the few drawbacks are big ones.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's one reason I often recommend the smaller cats... they're able to fit in current marina slips... the bigger ones aren't. Folding tris don't have that problem... but have a lot less usable interior space...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2007

toddrtownsend is on a distinguished road
In SW FL, check out Burnt Store Marina in Ft. Myers. i don't know how clear the approach is. However, I think they have a limited number of l/a slips.

If I was going to do it, I would base myself north of Homosassa, even as far as Crystal River or even Apalachicola. Then in the Winter you could cruise south to the warmer waters, but not have to pay as much of the price.

Good Luck and Fair Winds,

TrT
Old 04-03-2007

moody33 is on a distinguished road
Another suggestion for South Florida is Key West. I lived on the city operated Mooring field for quite some time 3 years ago. The moorings are cheap ($120/mo. in 2003), the pump out boat comes once a week, they have a beautiful dingy dock, water for your tanks, garbage removal, shower facilities if you need them ...even parking for your car..yes...even parking. Get their before winter sets in as they always fill up when the wind pipes up.

Or you can cheaply hire a local to drop in a mooring and fight out the parking and dingy space at the local docks. Waste removal will be your issue in that case. It's a beautiful, small town place with wonderful, laid back people who really know their boats. There really is no place quite like it.

As for the boat...it really doesn't matter what you have... the boat has very little to do with the lifestyle you choose. More important to get a boat that will not break the budget and that you feel a connection to, because all boats are comprimises of one sort or another. Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2007

stoutwench is on a distinguished road
A few more marinas that allow live aboards:
-St Augustine Municipal Marina and two other marinas on A1 (can't remember the names)
-Titusville Municipal Marina
-Regatta Point (Palmetto - on the west coast)

There are a lot of small marinas on the east coast that have liveaboards, but the bath/shower facilities are usually not good. These marinas do not advertise. The best way to find them is to travel the ICW then stop and ask when you see one.

Remember, with a cat, you will be paying for two slips!!!!!

Roger
Old 05-16-2007

P424 is on a distinguished road
The biggest problem now in Cetral Florida is finding a slip for a 40 to 45 ft boat with ocean access. All the marinas around Port Canaveral have long waiting lists and with the Condo slip craze its just going to get worse. You can go down near the place the Banana river enters the Indian River and pay more than $800 a month plus liveaboard fees. Florida just keeps getting worse. I have lived on the hook for most of the last 4 years. Florida has a bad case of not in my back yard. So many angry people. Its MIne mine mine. If it wasnt for the winters I would have left here years ago.
Old 05-24-2007

NALANI13 is on a distinguished road
we have a 46' sailboat that we keep in a marina in North Palm Beach, Florida. The slip cost is around $900 a month plus electric. There is a yacht club, it is in a gated condo complex right on the intercoastal. one bridge to the palm beach inlet. Very quiet marina - allows dogs and has full facilities. For retirement it is a great place as all the surrounding condo's are retired people. As a side note we also keep our 23' seacraft and that is $150 per month.
Old 05-24-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Don't know if your interested In northwest florida at all but my marina allows live aboards. they charge 10.00 a foot 30 foot minnimum and 100.00 for power. Its not a luxury place with pools and such but its nice. and has a yard with a 25 ton lift. things are gennerally quite a bit cheeper than south florida and we have better beaches this is changing fast though.

PS we don't have snook just red and black drum and specks

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.

Last edited by soul searcher; 05-24-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
"Just about everything has an off button."

except Windows where START is what you press to turn it off!! (G)
Old 05-25-2007

CatalinaFan is on a distinguished road
I just priced and found live aboard marinas on the west coast of Florida.
Here is the poop. All prices are per month. You do the math.

Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton had two as of 5/23/07.

A 35 foot and a 40 foot:

$14 a foot
$30 dock fee
$30 electric
$200 live aboard fee
Plus tax
This marina lets you go month to month.

Pasadena Marina near Saint Petersburg had one.

40 foot:

$540
$170 live aboard fee
Plus metered electric and tax

And Burnt Store Marina near Fort Myers had a few.

$15 a foot
$200 live aboard fee
Plus metered electric
Plus tax
They charge less for a yearly contract ($11 a foot) the others didn't.

I found these as I thought the Beneteau 373 was a done deal.

Hope this helps,

CatalinaFan