Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
My boat is docked in a marina in east Cental Florida (Melbourne, FL), which is on the ICW, where it's a short run to Port Canaveral and bridges have a min height of 65 feet. I have a smallish catamaran which fits in a normal slip. The slip fee is $12.00 per foot plus $140.00 a month livaboard fee which includes electricity.

They do have room here.

Rick in Florida
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007

firemanbob55 is on a distinguished road
Ha Snook-- Come on down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookcatcher View Post
My husband and I would like to retire and fullfill a life long dream of buying a sailboat and living aboard. We are unsure where to begin with locating a marina in Florida that allows live aboards. Any suggestions?
Snook: The first thing is to find a boat in an available live aboard slip. I just happen to have a beautyful 37' Endeavour with a slip in Daytona Beach Fl. I retired from the fire dept in 2001 and have been living aboard ever sence. I know of a few other boats with slips that are here too. You can see piks of mine at www.myspace.com/piratecaptainbob I'm at the city marina in Daytona and we love it. Capt. Bob
firemanbob55@netzero.com I forgot to say that these sailboats are for sale.. sorry Bob

Last edited by firemanbob55; 07-23-2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: not enough info
Old 07-26-2007

nmelosi is on a distinguished road
I am thinking about moving my 26' Bombay express up to the Tampa Bay Area to livaboard 4 days a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007

nmelosi is on a distinguished road
Livaboard In the Tampa Area

Hello all

I am taking my 26' Bombay Express to the tampa bay area to live on four nights a week. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as places to start looking?

Any suggestions would be nice.

I am also setting up an airconditioner and my budget is tight. Should I get a window unit?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-04-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Still a few diehards around. I can be done with research.

If you want liveaboard dockage in south florida you are going to have to do a little work. What has made South Florida desireable, the abmviance, the laid back attitude and the many many many beautiful boats docked along the roads and byways. Big real estate has eaten or docks and it's getting tight. Get in a car and drive through the high liveabloard areas. 15 St., Isle of Venice, Hendricks Isle, Sailboat bend and the new river. Knock on doors, read newspaper ads. It's still here and as good as ever, just a little under the radar. I have lived aboard for over 20 years and will not change my lifestyle. I have crossed the atlantic and became an expert on cruising the
Bahamas and Carribean. I like it here. Go for a sail, have a rum drink and relax. Don't let anyone spoil your dream, it is alive. Mike, Fort Lauderdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What part of Florida, what type of sailboat?

If you are thinking about living aborad in SE Fl, dream on unless you have a lot of money to buy a house and stick your boat behind it. There are some marinas, but there are not a lot.

On the SW side of Florida, it is better - but not a whole lot better. There are several marinas you can liveaboard, but the fees are quite high (I think it averages around $17/foot/month), and you will be restricted by mast height and how much you draw. The bridges on SW Fl ICW are 55'.

I have not liveaboard or cruised NE or NW Florida, but understand Pensacola is quite nice from friends of ours that did.

You might really consider spending most of your time on the hook. Marinas are over rated, expensive, and unneccesary in many areas.

Give me some thoughts and what you want to do (specifics), I will give you some ideas on how to go about it.

- CD
Old 08-12-2007

salttrip is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
May I suggest a week or two cruise on a sailboat, to see if this is something you really want to do.
hey Paul, yahoo sailing room is real crap now,, good to see you, Tommy
Old 08-21-2007

dougshipl is on a distinguished road
Just relocated to Fort Lauderdale from California. As noted, it is a wonderful place to boat, probably one of the best is US to island hop from but you will pay at least $10 a foot behind someone's home and much more at the marinas. Figure $1,000 + a month for Bahamas at a good, secure marina (+ $300 gov.fee) The item that had me fall overboard was my insurance quotes. Been with Boat US for many many years w/out 1 claim and price was nuts for FL. Most prudent and best coverage is 2 1/2% the value of the boat if you can find it as it comes down to just a few companies. So $100k boat will at least be $2,500 yr - and this is a place where you will want good coverage...if not for the storms ..for the other guy.
Old 08-27-2007

usasophie is on a distinguished road
I know of a Marina on Tampa Bay that is perfect for living aboard and it is not outragousley priced. Regatta Pointe Marina. It is located in Palmetto Fl. I have traveled all over Florida looking for a live aboard marina and this is the best. They are currently renovating the fitness center and laundry facilitlies. They also have a wonderful boaters lounge. Bringing you all the comforts of home at a marina. For the hard core sailor this might be too many amennties but for someone just looking for a diffrent life style it is great. Unlike a lot of live aboard marinas in florida this one is well maintained with friendly staff always around to help and attened to immediate issues. I believe the rates vary between $10 a foot to $14 depending on which dock you choose. Take a look at their website.
Old 08-27-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Do the mooring fields in Florida typically allow livaboard?
Old 08-27-2007

CocoaMoe is on a distinguished road
Key West has mooring available from the city.I dont know how much or who to call but if anyone is interested I can find out. Old Island Marina on Stock Island,one key up from Key West,within bike distance,$12 a ft & metered electric,parking,bathrooms,water,trash dumpsters, security,and good neighbors. Cal Dan @305-896-7799 There are afew other marinas down here that allow L/As and the prices vary there are even still some places you can pull your boat and do your bottom.I love it here.Where I am was Mayberry Marina until June when Andy Griffith sold it to Old Island. Theyre really cleaning it up and making changes.Deep water slips and access right out to the Atlantic. I've been on my 27' Hunter for 6yrs and stayed thru every storm that came by, its a pretty safe place to be.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by CocoaMoe; 09-20-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: price change