Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Trisstan87, It's difficult to interpret your data. I can say from our experience of livingaboard at Jacksonville marinas on the Saint Johns River and the ICW that you will find monthly liveaboard rates from $400 to $800/ month for a 40 foot boat. I know of twelve marinas in the Jacksonville area that currently rent slips to Liveaboards and I'm aware of empty slips available at at least six of these,- likely more. Most of these marinas will not claim to have slips available for liveaboards if contacted by phone, but if you contact them as a transient cruiser you will be able to pay a monthly slip fee for an unlimited length of time. Expect to pay $650 or more per month for the marinas in the better protected and nicer areas with the best amenities. We have also stayed at marinas, as liveaboards (arriving as "fulltime cruisers") and at least another dozen marinas south and up the west coast of Florida. We first lived aboard in Florida when we sailed down from the Chesapeake in 1972 and paid $50/month for a slip. We have never been "bullied" or "hassled" by any authorities or marina personel for the 39 years that we have been living aboard in Florida. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Its not my data, its the websites! At least I know I am not alone in my confusion. I have to move in January anyway and I am figuring since I am going to be getting a boat large enough to live on I may as well live on it and avoid paying rent somewhere else. I am hoping to be able to do it for 400-550 a month which is why I am trying to figure out their prices correctly. Anyway, thanks for the help. Also, I live RIGHT off the St. Johns river in St. Johns and was wondering if the Marinas you are talking about have hook ups or moorings that can be had for a lot cheaper?
A side question posed as a scenario: What if you wanted to spend two weeks on a mooring and two weeks on a dock to save money but still be able to use amenities at certain times when needed. Does any marina allow this? It seems like a way to get by the prices for a full month so I am inclined to think it is not allowed but I figured it worth asking.
Old 09-18-2010

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
Look at St.Augustine

Americas Oldest City, lots of liveaboards. At The Anchorage, right of the Bridge of Lions, its about $12/ft, plus electric. Unpretentious. Town really lights up for Christmas, and some excellent restaurants. Also a cool second hand stop for yacht stuff (as well as a West Marine).
Old 10-15-2010

vlweldon is on a distinguished road
Still dreaming

I guess I am one more in the numbers of wanting to sail away into retirement. The location starts in Texas Gulf Coast. The boat is narrowed to an Allied Mistres, Island Trader, or a Morgan OI 41. I like the idea of a ketch rig for height and redundancy. The plan is to sell a comercial building/loft apt. Use that to buy and rig a 35 to 45 ft boat and streach the rest for 2 to 3 years of adventure. One problem...The wife is about to stroke out on the idea of quitting work and becoming "homeless". I don't think the pretty sunsets will calm her on this. Oh well, Still Dreaming
Old 11-17-2010

Adagio44 is on a distinguished road
St. Augustine marinas

Hi, I just noticed the praise for St. Augustine in Diogenes726's note, and have a question.

I am looking for a winter berth and a friend living in Florida suggested St. Augustine.

I have an Outbound 44, draws 6.5 feet and has about 65 feet bridge clearance. It's being shipped from the Med to Palm Beach, from where I would bring it to St. Augustine. I've never sailed in Florida waters. Would I have a problem getting a boat this size into a St. Augustine marina?

Thanks so much!
FLKokopelli likes this.
Old 11-17-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Adagio44, You would not have difficulty with the 6.5 draft when entering a number of St. Augustine marinas, but you'll need to be wary of the inlet at St. Ausustine by taking the best tide and visiblity timing. There have been some sifting of sand bars and adjustments of temporary bouys at the inlet. 'always best to call on the VHF for some local knowledge advice. A greater concern may be using the ICW in transit. The 6.5 draft is doable with care at some points, but you'll need to have a specific grasp of that "about 65' " mast clearance. Many ICW fixed bridges are 65' at MHW. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-15-2010
Cruiser-in-training

sbonham is on a distinguished road
Thanks Cruising Dad,

I too am hoping to live aboard in FL. I've love to be on the west gulf coast (Clearwater, St. Pete, Sarasota, Ft. Myers stretch). I sailed in the St. Pete area (Madeira Beach - John's Pass) recently and was disappointed that anchoring might prove difficult in that the Bayous there are SO shallow.

Here's my expected boat info (Something about 30-32' with a swing keel (coastal cruiser) - draft about 3'. Mast height 36-38' max.

What's my potential? Better places?

Thx,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What part of Florida, what type of sailboat?

If you are thinking about living aborad in SE Fl, dream on unless you have a lot of money to buy a house and stick your boat behind it. There are some marinas, but there are not a lot.

On the SW side of Florida, it is better - but not a whole lot better. There are several marinas you can liveaboard, but the fees are quite high (I think it averages around $17/foot/month), and you will be restricted by mast height and how much you draw. The bridges on SW Fl ICW are 55'.

I have not liveaboard or cruised NE or NW Florida, but understand Pensacola is quite nice from friends of ours that did.

You might really consider spending most of your time on the hook. Marinas are over rated, expensive, and unneccesary in many areas.

Give me some thoughts and what you want to do (specifics), I will give you some ideas on how to go about it.

- CD
Old 12-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
3' draft is no problem and netierh is mast height. With that, I would really look down around Fort Myers and maybe south to the keys. Maybe Boot Key in Marathon?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-25-2010
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Boot Key Marina is a great option, the prices are moderate, and if I'm still healthy I hope to be there in 2012. Who knows, the prices may fall by then.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-23-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Can anyone offer suggestions for living aboard for a month or two in the Stuart, FL area? We could certainly be classified as transients if that helped. We want to do a final refit before heading to Puerto Rico. Thanks
Pete