Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Stuart on down might be full up this time of year. The snow birds like to come down for the season in West Palm on down and many bring down their boats.

But here are a couple:

Marina - Loggerhead
772-692-4000 - Work
955 N.W. Flagler Avenue
Stuart, Florida 34994

Marina - Sunset Bay
772-283-9225 - Work
615 Anchorage Way
Stuart, FL 34994

Sunset Bay I visited in October and it was quite nice. Slips were full, but they had moorings.

I ended up in Ft Pierce, which is the next town north at Harbortown Marina - Ft. Pierce, Florida - A Full Service Marina.

It's a nice marina with a yard if you're doing work.

There's also the Ft Pierce Municipal marina which I've heard is very nice:

Marina - Ft Pierce
772-464-1245 - Work
1 Avenue "A"
Fort Pierce, FL 34950

On the plus side with Ft Pierce is we have a very nice inlet out to the Atlantic. Both marinas are close to the inlet and you won't have any bridge issues if you're under 65ft. Draft in this area is also pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
On the plus side with Ft Pierce is we have a very nice inlet out to the Atlantic. Both marinas are close to the inlet and you won't have any bridge issues if you're under 65ft. Draft in this area is also pretty good.
Thanks a lot. I called all of them and checked rates. It was interesting that both Ft Pierce marinas charge extra for liveaboards, but the two Stuart ones did not. I do recall anchoring at Sunset Bay years ago before they put in the docks. It's an easy walk to shopping from there on Rte 1.
Pete
Old 01-28-2011

twisted23 is on a distinguished road
tampa bay legal question....I have been told that it is NOT legal to live aboard in a private owned slip in the st pete beach area ...citing a non specific city regulation as the basis for the statement ....not only cant live aboard but no over nights at all period. ....is this fact or fiction ? any one know for sure ? or do i just have a cranky neighbor ?
thanks
Old 01-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted23 View Post
tampa bay legal question....I have been told that it is NOT legal to live aboard in a private owned slip in the st pete beach area ...citing a non specific city regulation as the basis for the statement ....not only cant live aboard but no over nights at all period. ....is this fact or fiction ? any one know for sure ? or do i just have a cranky neighbor ?
Yeah, well here's a reg from Weekly Crime Report - Latest

Quote:
Sec. 58-91. Continuous habitation of vessels prohibited; live-aboards.
It shall be unlawful for a person to occupy or live aboard any houseboat or other boat equipped for habitation within the city. This prohibition shall not apply to individuals occupying vessels on a temporary basis for a period not to exceed 72 hours on the condition that the vessel shall contain a Coast Guard approved, self-contained sewage treatment or storage system. The 72-hour period shall not terminate as the result of temporary absence or removal of the vessel.
(Code 1985, s 20-61)
Here's the problem though(all IMO, I am not a lawyer). The state owns the water and has specifically stated that cities can't prohibit cruisers from anchoring on the waterways with a few exceptions. That was done to prevent ordinances like the above complicating boat tourism. Some cities are still working that into their own policies(ie, learning about it), so despite that you can still have a water cop show up and tell you to vacate.

But if you're at a private dock I'd think that could very well be governed by city ordinances since you're tying off on their land.

Plus you may have home owner association rules to deal with. I wouldn't be surprised at all for HMO's to prohibit living on boats at home docks, just like they'd do for RV's in drive ways.

My guess is you're going to have to dig through all the local laws and HMO regs on your own for your local area. I'd seriously doubt anyone could answer you properly since the laws could be all over the map. And "well, Bill the county clerk said I could" won't fly with the sheriff who shows up looking to boot you out. You're going to need to be well versed in all the local ordinances yourself.
Old 01-28-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
This almost sounds as if the state and local governments are upset because they cannot find a legal way of putting the squeeze on live-aboards to bolster their coffers. Some states have made it very expensive to be a live-aboard, charging annual fees that are quite similar to real-estate taxes--even if you're anchored out for more than a predetermined period of time.

Given the current budget crisis, enforcement of the above stated regulation would be next to impossible without someone in the community reporting the information to law enforcement authorities.

I'm relatively confident that most of the problems associated with live-aboards has to do with illegal dumping of raw sewage. This was the case in Solomons, Maryland about 15 years ago when their beautiful harbor area was populated by dozens of sail and power boats every evening. It was a great anchorage because it was easy to hold bottom on a short rode, and it was sheltered from winds in every direction. During the day it buzzed with activities, swimming, crabbing, etc... At night, though, the entire area began smelling like an open sewer. For a brief time anchoring in the harbor area was prohibited. When anchoring was again permitted, law enforcement personnel began checking boats on a regular basis for locks on "Y" valves. The inspections were unannounced and if your "Y" valve was not locked, or worse yet, opened for overboard discharge, you were in serious trouble. The problem quickly abated, Solomons has returned to it's former popularity, and yes, there are some live-aboards there as well.

Maryland has not imposed a live-aboard tax, but it has been proposed several times. I've been told that Virginia has a live-aboard tax, but I have not been able to track down the particulars on this information yet.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-28-2011

That and I think another issue is abandoned boats. When they sink the local government gets stuck with the bill for cleaning up the mess.
Old 01-28-2011

twisted23 is on a distinguished road
well my intensions are not to make problems , not for myself or anyone else,so i guess i either move the boat to a live aboard marina ....or find a place to rent for myself .... i guess it is my own fault for not looking into this issue before renting the slip , i had no idea this could be a problem.....one more lesson learned..... thanks for the information on this issue ...Ron
Old 05-31-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Talking Living on a yacht?

I live in South Florida on the West side and I am considering the live aboard idea. I have joined this site in hopes of questions I have concerning living aboard. First I am not a sailor but I love achts 50-60 footers. I know this is a forum set up for sailing but is there any information anybody has concerning pros and cons to living on a yacht of that caliber.
Or can someone point me in the right direction for living on a yacht in South Florida. Thanks for your time. K...
Old 05-31-2011

Hey drop. You might want to take a look at Living Aboard Forums • Index page

There's quite a few trawler owners that liveaboard and post on that site. They may have some insight and tips.

I think in general though, you tend to see people liveaboarding in the 30-50ft boat range. As the size of the boat goes up, costs increase dramatically and they get harder to handle. And boats in the 40-50 range usually already have plenty of space to meet most people's needs and still be able to be managed by 1 or 2 people.
Old 05-31-2011

dropanchorfor3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks friend - will check that out. I think something around 50-60 feet is up my alley. Thanks for responding.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.