Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Live aboard legal address

To clarify, in my opinion, if a marina allows live aboard's the post office should install a cluster box that coincides with the slip numbers. That way your address would be:

1234 Pacific Coast Hwy
Slip 101
Long beach, CA 94001

for example, hard is that..?

By the way, being classified as homeless in Florida is one additional reason to move there. It puts you father off the grid IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
General Delivery service. Which every USPO offers.
hellosailor, I've heard that General Delivery is not universal at the USPS, that the postmaster at any given post office can decide whether they will accept General Delivery mail. I do not know if that is true or not, it is just something I was told.

Edit, I think you cleared it up in this later post, hellosailor.

Quote:
Not all post offices are "post offices" some are "stations" or have other status. A "Main Post Office" always offers general delivery holding, but apparently the lesser facilities have some options as to whether they will or won't offer it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-20-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-21-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

Just as a matter of interest.... Last time we were in the US during a census (2000), the census "enumerators" actually walked the docks at the marina we were visiting (large live aboard population) filling out their questionnaires. As far as "residence" we were listed as "other", a classification that also includes itinerants and the homeless. Never minded being listed as "other"...

We use a mail forwarding service to keep up with the little mail we receive. Certainly cuts down on the junk mail.

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 10-21-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dave, no state can require you to be a resident of that state and I'm pretty sure the Republic couldn't require you to reside in any state either. US citizens normally have dual citizenship, one in a state and one in the Federal Republic. They are conferred differently and put different requirements on you. But really, Comrade, back when it was being KGB you would have been better informed about these things before being given a "US" identity. (VBG)

Matter of fact, a US citizen might be a resident of one of 50 states, 11 insular possessions, OR the District of Columbia. So there are at least 12 "I'm not a resident of any State" types of US citizens, even among the citizens who live in or on US soils.

Well my concern is that a state can come after you for taxes if you haven't shown that you've LEFT that state AND established residency in another state. Hell the (People's Republic of ) MARYLAND tried to get me for taxes 3 years after I had moved to VIRGINIA (getting a driver's license, registering to vote and filing VA taxes....) solely b/c I still had a POB in MD!

So it can be problematic to prove you've left a state; further compounded if you haven't established residency in another state. How would one "leave" the US w/ no intention to return for some period of years and not get hunted down?
Old 10-21-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

A few answers here:

First, you can list a marina as your address. I have done it several times. I don't generally list it as Slip #. I generally just use #6 (for slip 6) ETC. For those who are living aboard in hurricane prone areas, I would suggest you find a way to get a local address (marina for example) of the area you are staying in. After a hurricane, they may not let you back in unless you have that address on your driver's license. This happened to us after Gabrielle and Charlie.

Second, for those who are mobile or on the hook, you can use St. Brendan's Isle. It is a fabulous service that helps in all manners of mail and setting up an address. It is completely legal and you will be shocked at the number of cruisers who use this service. Their phone number is 904-284-1200. You will need to present two pieces of mail IIRC to change your address over if you are moving in from out of state. SImply have your phone bill and/or CC sent there and that will be the proof you will need.

Third, if you are already a Florida resident, you can change your address online. No need to present two different pieces of mail or any of that. $25 and you are done. Your mailing address and the address of where you reside can be two different things. The address to do that is here: https://services.flhsmv.gov/virtualoffice/Lobby.aspx

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-21-2013

Iliveonboat is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend registered her moped to the address of the boat which is floating in the bay at this zip code. I showed the registration. The DMV person went back to talk to a supervisor and came back and said "I can take a verbal" to which I said its floating in that bay a few miles down the street... Asked for mooring fee receipt, I replied I have an anchor , anchor light, so it's not a hazard to navigation and explained that real quick . The boat is registered to me at my "official" address on the other coast but my mailing address on the registration is here. The company I work for has offices on both coasts that I can receive mail at.

I don't know what they actually wrote for her address in the computer, I guess its the boat and it's location in the bay. It is our residence, its nicer than many of the houses around here .

The address on the moped registration is "name-general delivery- post office-zip".

I can't help but type in how incredibly stupid I think this whole "residence" thing is and I resent this whole hassle imposed on me over it. My girl got a ticket for no tag after that shady bike store that sold it to her said "just show them the bill of sale" and made it seem like that was O.K and normal just to make the sale that day and not scare her off with registration details.

Then she is rightfully all upset over needing to register it therefor 'needing' that stupid 'address-residence' for the court date over the driving with no tag.

I will try and find out what exact words they ended up actually putting down as our "address".

At least I got to say to my girlfriend 'told ya so', we got the tag.

Last edited by Iliveonboat; 10-21-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 10-21-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
---
Florida won't issue a driver's license without a POSTAL address in Florida. ----
My experience says not so.
Back when I was using a relative to forward my mail, the state of Florida issued me a drivers license with a Georgia address on it.
Currently my Florida drivers license has the address of my mail forwarding service. I would assume that is a postal address since the USPS delivers my mail to there.
I also have that address on my car's registration, my voter registration, passport, insurance, banking, and anything else I need. And nobody in officialdom is mad at me.
It's all very simple. Those who would complicate their lives unnecessarily deserve what they get.
jraymer likes this.
Old 10-21-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
A few answers here:

First, you can list a marina as your address. I have done it several times. I don't generally list it as Slip #. I generally just use #6 (for slip 6) ETC. For those who are living aboard in hurricane prone areas, I would suggest you find a way to get a local address (marina for example) of the area you are staying in. After a hurricane, they may not let you back in unless you have that address on your driver's license. This happened to us after Gabrielle and Charlie.

Second, for those who are mobile or on the hook, you can use St. Brendan's Isle. It is a fabulous service that helps in all manners of mail and setting up an address. It is completely legal and you will be shocked at the number of cruisers who use this service. Their phone number is 904-284-1200. You will need to present two pieces of mail IIRC to change your address over if you are moving in from out of state. SImply have your phone bill and/or CC sent there and that will be the proof you will need.

Third, if you are already a Florida resident, you can change your address online. No need to present two different pieces of mail or any of that. $25 and you are done. Your mailing address and the address of where you reside can be two different things. The address to do that is here: https://services.flhsmv.gov/virtualoffice/Lobby.aspx

Brian
What a great post Brian, thanks. I'll be in Florida living aboard in the next 5 years. I guess with a few credit cards and a cell phone bill going to the St. Brendan's Isle address I'll be good to go.
Old 10-21-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Dunno, Mike. About 2 years ago Florida got their knickers in a knot when they decided to make Florida DL's a DHS-compliant SecureID and they changed all sorts of things. If your paperwork predates that, see what happens on renewal. Before the change, they used whatever name you presented to them. Afterwards? Nope, your name will be exactly what it is on your federal or other source ID, not one letter different.

All sorts of changes.

The point being, paperwork will vary by the time and place it is issued. Very few places give a damn about making exceptions for vagrants [sic] living on boats. Folks can figure it out for themselves, the rules for wherever they are, are available to the public. Always.
Old 10-22-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

We'll have to see.
I seem to recall having to do more paperwork bs when I last renewed Nov/4/2010.
I believe that was due to the Homeland Security requirements you refer to.
So far so good lol.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.