SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Live aboard legal address (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/31527-live-aboard-legal-address.html)

Tropiccafe 04-18-2007 09:52 AM

Live aboard legal address

Trying to figure out how to get a legal address for a live aboard arrangement where we will travel around the US East Coast. This is tougher then I thought with drivers license and everything else involved. Does anyone have ideas on this matter? We will not stay at live aboard marinas.
Thanks

sailingdog 04-18-2007 10:04 AM

I would recommend you look at either one of two things:

1) Use a family member's or friend address as your legal address, and have them forward the necessary mail to you. This is probably the best option.

2) Use a mail forwarding service as your legal address.

Boasun 04-18-2007 10:19 AM

Some people use a Post office box in their home town for an address.
But a sibling's, cousin's or parent's address would be good also. Because you may need them to forward any mail you may receive.

hellosailor 04-18-2007 11:37 AM

What do you mean by a 'legal address' ?

Residence, domicile, mailing address...they're all different and depending on what and where you do it, you may find yourself needing to file tax bills, or getting sent notices for jury duty as well.

Assuming your boat is documented or registered SOMEplace, logically that should be the one same address.

camaraderie 04-18-2007 02:39 PM

May I suggest checking in to St. Brendan's Isle.
Florida seems to make a god legal address for tax putposes and they have provided cruiser services to thousands over the years for reasonable prices.
Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle

Bermuda30 04-22-2007 12:30 PM

Easiest way is, like already mentioned, to have a relative/close friend forward your mail. I change addresses every three months, and no two are ever the same, so my mail goes to parents and then forwarded to me. Never had a problem.

Iliveonboat 10-20-2013 02:04 AM

Re: Live aboard legal address

There has to be an answer besides "use a fraudulent address".

I live on a boat and have been looking for the correct answer but every thread says "use a fraudulent address"...

I want the legal answer !

alturia 10-20-2013 05:46 AM

Nobody here has advocated using a "fraudulent address". For purposes of receiving mail you can use any address you want and people here have suggested a number of different alternatives, such as a relative or a mailing service.

For the purposes of determining a "legal address" or the "state of your legal residence" then that is usually the place at which you reside, hold a drivers license or ID card, pay taxes, are registered to vote,etc. But that is not always the case. Many, many people have a legal state of residence that differs from where they actually live, for example those in the military, college students, people on temporary work assignments, and cruisers. In these cases the state of legal residence is determined by factors such as where you hold a drivers license, where you pay taxes, where you are registered to vote.

If you want more information do a google search "determining state of legal residence"

xort 10-20-2013 07:32 AM

The town of green cove springs fl knows full well what the "residents" of st brendens isle are up to and provide support to them to become legal residents of their community with driver licences, voter reg, etc.
you can become a full fledged resident of clay county / green cove springs with nothing remotely illegal involved

chucklesR 10-20-2013 09:39 AM

This is an apples and oranges discussion that, although the original post is 6 years old, is still a pertinent and oft thought question.

Legal Address is to where mail is delivered, that's it.

Legal residence is (per Blacks Legal Dictionary):

legal residence
noun
(law) the residence where you have your permanent home or principal establishment and to where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return; every person is compelled to have one and only one domicile at a time; "what's his legal residence?" [syn: domicile]
Bold added.

a boat is indeed legally a residence, per the legal definition of 'residence'

residence

noun
the place, especially the house, in which a person lives or resides; dwelling place; home: Their residence is in New York City.
a structure serving as a dwelling or home, especially one of large proportion and superior quality: They have a summer residence in Connecticut.
the act or fact of residing: during his residence in Spain.
the act of living or staying in a specified place while performing official duties, carrying on studies or research, awaiting a divorce, etc.
the time during which a person resides in a place: a residence there of five years.

So, when the question comes up - (especially from law enforcement) your address is to where your mail is delivered, your residence is your boat.
If they want to mail you a ticket or a summons give them the address, if they want to find you in person, the residence (and then sail away).