Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2002

el is on a distinguished road
Advise to those moving aboard?

halyardz, we appreciate your posts!! I posted these questions, not just for info, but I thought it would be a "less than serious" discussion. Didn''t know it would blow wind up anyone''s *#!@

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

NO!!! just confine your contributions to areas of your personal,actual expertise!
After I read my remarks to you I was a bit
taken back by how strong they were. I should have clarified my commentment!
Good Luck
Old 02-02-2002

aasault is on a distinguished road

Dancy8888''s rantings to Halyardz have caused me to question the "resume" he emailed me after I posted something he did not approve of. I don''t see how someone with his sailing credentials could be wound so tight.

Here''s something I know plenty about, and can spout advice ad infinitum. I''m a NEWBIE!!
We newbies reserve the right to ask stupid questions, post what others might consider inane "observations", lead our genoa sheets inside the shrouds, sail along smartly with our fenders out, forget the name of that thing that tightens the mainsail luff, yada yada yada... I myself even posted a while back that I loved my asym with sock so much I would never learn how to fly a symetrical spinnaker. Ooops, wrong again, in the next couple of weeks I''m getting spinnaker training. Like most all posters with limited experience, I try to state my limited sail time in most every post.

Most people are not raised at yacht clubs. I''m sure a lot newbies are just like me. Later in life, kids moving out, a little time and $$, so it''s time to do something we''ve only dreamt about. The problem is we have a short period of time to learn skills you have honed for a lifetime!

If you want to do it right, the task is incredibly daunting...sail handling, boat handling, navigation, maritime law, diesel mechanic, anchoring, man overboard, hull/deck maintenance, hardware, safety gear, sail repair, line splicing/knots, electrical, plumbing,reading, reading, and then reading some more, and oh yeah, SAILING.

Anyway Dancy8888, if HalyardZ (a college professor no less), me or any other unqualified sailor posts something you disagree with, try lighting a candle, instead of cursing the darkness. You have some inborn paranoia that we are trying to give advice, which is clearly not the case. If in your strange little world you think that me saying "I think larger boats are safer" affects anyone on god''s green earth, you are completely dillusional.

Lastly, the "leaving the security of San Diego Bay" cracks have not gone unnoticed. I''ve got a little experience with the ocean. From age of 12-40 I surfed extensively throught California, Hawaii and Mexico.

I have been out in conditions that would make you cry like a school girl!

WITHOUT A FREAKING BOAT!!

p.s.-I look forward to a spirited response.

Old 02-03-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road

I can''t resist this. There is nothing in my profile, other than heading south via ICW and cruising the Bahamas that would indicate just what level of sailing experience I''ve had...but FYI, I''ve been boating since 1957 and sailing sloops since 85, mostly NE coast.Cruised the Virgins and Bahamas. My Navy vet Dad put me on the water early. Have I lived aboard for more than a few months? No. Big blue water? No. If there are tests to pass for various levels of knowledge, please let "newbies" like aasault and I know.

Now, maybe dancy is reacting to my profession. Well, there are a lot of professors I don''t like. They are snooty, filled with self-importance, know-it-alls...
not the kind you''d call mates.

I, probably like many, find knowledge about sailing from any source I can locate. Often the information provided by old-salts conflicts. But you can learn something from nearly anybody. I think I can learn about near-shore waves from a surfer (right aasault?) Hell, I could probably even learn something from BigRed...aarh...let me think about that one.

It''s not the term newbie its the spin behind the delivery that''s irksome. Lighten-up Dancy, you might even learn something from these hideous, ignorant, newbies. My God,it
just struck me, if Dancy hasn''t surf''d or sailed the islands...that makes him a newbie.
Old 02-03-2002

halyardz:
I started SURFING at a place called RainBow pier in about 1943.That was when the L.A.
Breakwater had not yet been extended.Oh! and
yes I have not yet been to the Bahama''s that is why we brought the boat to the right coast!I carefully restated my view point and
since you profess to teach it should be crystal clear to you!Try to help those less knowledgeable than your self,not by when you have read about but by your actual deeds!The God of the sea only respects experience and even then will piss on you! I backed off yesterday and tried to lighten my comments regarding your comments So think very,very carefully before you continue this dialog!
Old 02-03-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy me matey''s , pipe down a minute and let me wash some of ye blood and guts from the decks. Now I admit me surfing be limited to a few afternoons at Big Sur in 1968 unless you want to count those two days aboard me dead fathers 33'' Dickerson Ketch in Hurricane Agnes dodging Garages, Houses, submerged boats,telephone poles and dead bodies pouring out the Susquehanna River and following us down the Bay till we slipped into the Severn, sans motor since hour two of day one. Standing on the bow pulpit as lookout, was for me the ultimate" Hang Ten Experience " and I''ve been a might glad to have had the earlier your gonna die with the next wave if you don''t get this one right experience in the Pacific under me belt. Surfing is the right mindset for the sailor in all of us," Point Break" , otherwise understood as becomming "one with the wind and the waves and yourself at the same time." Aye that be My Quotes so mind yer tone and watch me royalities. As for ye newbies there is no more important a purpose than yer education from us old salts cause we need ye to carry on cause we''re all half dead anyway. As fer the Question of the Profess'' ers line of work ye be below the belt Dancy 8888. Not always a bad thing to a pirate I''s just marking yer point.I''ve had me a long thought on the subject of experience and the qualifications of salt and blue water nerve, and I ''ve come to the conclusion that anyone with the desire to head the direction of the sea is on course in me book. Mind ye some one mentioned the Navy? Me own, Dad and Mom both be wearing the uniform in thier time, in fact its where a hood from Philadelphia met a farm girl from Illinois both trying to escape to da sea!!. But that be another story ye not be want''in to e''re. Aye that be the trick of it gettin us to tell ye. Me minds awash in ye argument and the young surfer mentioned som''in about Spirits wot got me thinking I need to run to the chandlery . Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-03-2002

BigRed56:
I''ve been trying to calm this thing with the
teacher!for two days but like a rat terrior
it doesn''t want to let go!Better I put a chain around its ankles and drop it over board or find a good plank to walk the viewpoints off and over the side.
Old 02-03-2002

el is on a distinguished road

Gentleman, I''m the poster of the original 3 questions. As a woman, I thought it might be fun to here your responses. I anticipated both serious advice and a good bit of humor. Instead, we have received the ranting of some obviousely insecure, frustrated, humorless, old men (probably stemming from being under-sexed). I guess I''ll find another BB where sailing in ENJOYED & our experiences can be SHARED to everyone''s BENEFIT!!!!

Good-bye
EL

ps: BigRed We''ll look you up when we make it down yer way, ERRRR!!
Old 02-03-2002

aasault is on a distinguished road

El, I''m sorry for using your question forum for something that appears quite personal. If you snoop around these message boards, I think you''ll agree that 99.9% of the dialogue here is very positive!

Please stay!!!

Art

Old 02-03-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, ye be breaking me pride filled heart wit your last post my dear "el" . The old pirates bemonning the wind being knocked out of his sails by yer hurt and iffin it was in yer heart to forgive us all we be on our knees begging you not to leave, I mean where else can you cross swords wit yer equals and live to tell about it? OHH please say it ain''t so , I be taken it personally and wit me grief can be a bad thing. Makes me meaner than usual . Iffin ye has to sail a hard course to make yer mark I''s be understanding and dis here be one old red Pirate that be glad to welcome ye to his fleet. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island. P.S. I love you !

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.