Live Aboard,Bluewater,Coastal- Who''s the better sailor? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
Live Aboard,Bluewater,Coastal- Who''''s the better sailor?

The Best Sailor, in my humble opinion, is the one who takes an interest in, and is ready to help at the drop of a hat, his fellow sailor... regardless of his experience on salt or sweet water, blue or coastal
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2002

duffyM is on a distinguished road

hold on a minute folks:do I understand this right if you lost a limb that makes you a good sailor,, if thats the case I must be a realy good sailor by now and I can stop paying attention when people try to tell me somthing.lets keep this string light and happy.HOW many people out there are amps hold up your prosthetic device....1.? any more.the term short handed takes on a litteral meaning when people see me sailing.I have lots of fun with it if ya can''t laugh at yerself yer in real trouble:
Old 02-09-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Election Update
1 Women Sailors
1 Racing Sailors
1 Warped Sailors (no re-voting allowed)
1 Blue Water Sailors
2 Pirate (sailor implied)
1 Humble/helpfull Sailors
1 Laughing Amputee Sailors

Somebody''s got to call this thing, so with my vote for the Pirate, Pirates have it!! I Guess JEF had the right Idea in conceding, I suspect he may have guessed where I was going? One serious wrong response for Blue Water and the rest don''t matter. My point was the other argument about qualifications which has always led to an argument not just here at Sailnet but everywhere. No one can qualify what makes such a broad term as Sailor. Therefore there can be no real kind of sailor superior than another. Some may have accomplished more, some may have just started, dosen''t matter. If it''s(sic) is in yer blood you are a sailor (mabye not a good one) but you have value to sailing as a whole and to Sailnet. Most importantly to me. I love you guys!!! Man...... I gotta stop drinking. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-09-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

I''m glad to see you finally finished all the rum in the peg-leg and came out er your stoooper and joined da livn! That yawl of yours lookin like it needs Capt Bly to make it sail!that four oars and nine tails!
Old 02-10-2002

AHOY..big red ya can''t throw the hat in yet!we haven''t heard from all the "sailors" that went out sailing for the weekend .Lets wait till they get back to give us some more oppinions .with all this snow and ice here all a sailor can do is read and dream of spring launch.what brand rum?
Old 02-11-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road

duffyM,

It is sure that you jest with the query, "What brand rum?". Of all libations so tagged rum, there is only one truly deserving the name, that being of course Gosling''s Black Seal. All others, while perhaps somewhat effective, pose nothing more than semi-sweet interludes between the enjoyment of Bermuda''s own.

Snap
Old 02-11-2002

I shall do the sip and savor test,right now I''m crawling out of a bottle of mt. gay from jamacia.
Old 02-14-2002

When you''re feeling up to it, may I humbly suggest that you mix a bit of Ginger Beer with the Gosling''s Black Seal, proper ratio is 2/1 Ginger Beer to Gosling''s but that can vary; called a Dark''n''Stormy from the thunderstorm looking head that forms atop the mixture. Bermuda''s national drink I hear.

The bestest sailor I think, is the one who hoists the "Splice the Main Brace" flags and then serves up Dark''n''Stormys to those who show.
Snap
Old 02-15-2002

jwewing is on a distinguished road

DM,

I''m AGHAST! Mt Gay is from Barbados (I know when the bottle is on its side it kinda looks like Jamaica...) But for the Bermuda Gosling Black Sheep drinkers you should try some Appleton''s Estate 21 year old (really from Jamaica) with the Blue and Silver label. I just drained the last of mine (it''s unaffordable or unavailable in the States) a month ago and was depressed for a fortnight.

But on Esmeral we keep a ready supply of Puerto Rican rum to be used solely (no pun intended) to send the fish we catch on to their greater reward without a lot of flopping about.

As to the "better" sailor...my vote goes to the one which carries a supply of sippin'', and mixin'' rums with enough variety to make a killer Mai Tai.

Killer Mai Tai Recipe:
Short Glass with ice
Squeeze of lime
1 Part White Rum
1 Part Medium Rum
1 Part Dark Rum
(optional) 151 Floater
Pour together and hold glass near a fresh pineapple for no more than 15 seconds (you don''t want to bruise the rum). Enjoy while you can still hold the glass.

Jim
"Esmeral"
Old 02-15-2002

Mentioning Appleton''s rang a bell so I checked and sure enough a pilot friend of mine had bought a bottle of the stuff you described and gave it to me as a gift. Immediately I had a drink in your honor.

Puerto Rican rums?; I knock down a couple of Ron Ricos w/coke daily, seems to clean out the pipes. Really, Ive never met a rhum I didn''t like.

I have copied your fine recipe for the Killer Mai Tai and hope to have you''n''yours aboard some day to share one. I''ll try to save some of the Appleton''s in case we should meet.

Snap