Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
words of encouragement

Snowwolf - We sold our house in 2002, moved aboard a 33' monohull, and are living happily ever after in Annapolis (for now). Go for it! We absolutely love it. And it was the only way we could afford "waterfront property" in the area

You may be looking at an older boat, in your budget. Since you don't need a lot of offshore, nav, or energy gear because you'll be at a marina, it's probably doable. We paid $36K for ours, sound hull but systems needed work which we were able to do over time as we could afford (we both have engineering degrees and are pretty handy). You'll find a great community of other boaters who can give you advice - probably too many and often contradicting opinions!

3 biggest rewards of living aboard (for us):
*way ahead financially compared to land life
*the community of other interesting folks we've met
*no lawn to mow

3 biggest challenges:
*finding space for professional books and clothing
*learning to give each other 'virtual privacy' - you can't physically get away, but you respect mental space (no shoulder surfing, for example, and if you hear those funky bathroom sounds, pretend you didn't)
*getting over wishing we'd done this sooner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I live aboard a 36' Pearson in Charleston with my wife and 2 kids. There are quite a few boats for sale around here in your range. Make a weekend of it to walk the local docks and see whats out an about. PM me and we'll send some emails of boats i know of local for sale.
Old 05-10-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Just one quick thing.
is the ex-boyfriend still alive? If the answer is yes, i say go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 05-10-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Snowwolf. Accept her offer soon before she changes her mind and definately before you have a baby.
Old 05-13-2007

lastconch is on a distinguished road
Living aboard

I strongly recomend this website it may help you make some enlightened descisions. Living Aboard I have enjoyed living on the hook so to speak for the last ten years but you have to want what you have, not be always wishing for what you left behind.
Old 05-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Catamarans are a bit more expensive, but many are quite capable bluewater boats. Two good books to read are Chris White's The Cruising Multihull and Thomas Firth Jones's Multihull Voyaging.

You can probably find a fairly decent one in that price range, but it would be a smaller one. Even a 34' catamaran will have far more space than most 40' monohulls. The main issue with living aboard some of the larger cats is that they are so wide that finding a slip that can accommodate them can be difficult. Some good ones that are fairly seaworthy and in your price range are the Gemini, the Heavenly Twins 26, the Iroquois, the Catalac 8/9M and Prout Quest.

IMHO, a much better magazine for learning about working and restoring boats is Good Old Boat magazine...

If you have any questions about multihulls, please let me know, I'd be happy to help answer them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-13-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Snowwolf -- do it fast before she changes her mind.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 05-23-2007

svNorthernLight is on a distinguished road
Let me get this straight. Your wife WANTS to move onto a boat?

Move First, Ask Questions Later!

-Capt Dave-
Galveston Bay, Texas
Old 05-23-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
What if she starts calling you by the old b-friends name once you move aboard? Old habits die hard!!!!!

Seriously; do it, now.
Old 05-27-2007

Snowwolf is on a distinguished road
It seems everyone say's I should go for it and liveaboard, since it is my wifes dream. It seems I am in a different boat than most guys here the wife wants me to move aboard. So I have some more questions, most of the books I am reading are about cursing offshore. This seems like a really great Idea, and I do plan to take this challange up in about 10 years from now. But back to the live aboard situation.
*First off is it really hard to find a place to Live Aboard where they will let you do it without being dishonest about it?
*When you live aboard do your clothes have the bad mold and boat smell and is there a way to fix this problem. We will still be working on land if we live aboard and I don't want to offend my co-workers?
*Also my main concern will be AC, I will have to buy a boat with AC or have it installed after the fact. Does the AC that is in most boats keep them cool enough so you are comfortable and not sweaty and hot we live in climate of Myrtle Beach SC and it gets hot and very humid.
*So we would be looking at about a $50,000 to $60,000 boat, so do you guys think with marina fees, boat payments & insurance and everything else that comes with living on a boat that it would cost over $2,000 month in the Myrtle Beach area, this is the budget I am shooting for on monthly fees so we can start saving money.
Well my wife is very excited about living on a boat again, I just want to make sure that we can afford it, and be able to save money in the process.
I am a creature of habit so this is going to be a big change for me, but I do need a big change in my life.