Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
getting robbed while away?

So I was talking with a guy who spent his early years doing all sorts of repair on yachts up near West Chester, NY - he used to sail and intends to buy another boat - he mentioned that you have to watch out if you solos sail and anchor-out or tie to a mooring - that people are watching and as soon as you go ashore they'll board your ship and steal whatever they can.

How prevalent is this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Haven't run into it so far, but I tend to stay away from places easily reached. Nor have I seen anyone nosing around anywhere I have anchored.

Currently at 25 46 43 N 80 11 08 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2007

Bump is on a distinguished road
Getting robbed

Never had aproblem with this issue. I am on a mooring in New Bedford MA. A very high crime city. When acchoring out or on a guest mooring I always lock the boat up tight, leaving a few ports open for ventilation. Did have some idiot cut my mooring line once. Boat drifted throuch a crowded mooring field and accross a busy harbor before two kids in a kayac saw it, boarded and droped the anchor. Boat never hit a thing. She's been called "Lucky Dog" ever since.
Old 05-23-2007

sailor25b is on a distinguished road
Drat those pesky Canadian pirates!

BTW - How do you store those heavy cannonballs?
Old 05-23-2007

Well that's good news - not sure where this guy got his info.
Old 05-23-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman
It can happen anywhere. I am a firm believer in preparedness and overwhelming force concerning a perp. Thats the chief reason I will not sail in Canadian waters, not that I need to as I will not be able to visit and vacation in every port in the US Great Lakes in my lifetime anyways, as the govt there has effectivly disarmed the law abiding Canadian civilians, and as an alien in that country I have no means to effect a good defense except by shouting "Boooo, booga booga booooo." Thats where sailors start chatting about 1)using shot gun shells in a flare gun, very dangerous, or (2)using a long knife for self defense, never take a long knife to a gun fight, or (3)using a pepper spray, please see #2, or by (4) calling the Police, which when they arrive is after the occurance and to write the report after the mayham has been already committed.
This, from a resident of the most violent country in the world? There are more murders daily in the US of A than there are anually in Canada. The US of A has a higher percentage of its population in jail than any other nation on the planet. And all of this is because of a mis-interpretation of a two-century-old right to raise a militia to bear arms for defence.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 05-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It is an issue down island. Not a big one but the sayin is "lock it or lose it".
Also...don't put your boat name on your dinghy since that tells the bad guys which boats are empty.
Old 05-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequitur
This, from a resident of the most violent country in the world? There are more murders daily in the US of A than there are anually in Canada. The US of A has a higher percentage of its population in jail than any other nation on the planet. And all of this is because of a mis-interpretation of a two-century-old right to raise a militia to bear arms for defence.
Up yours buddy - sure we have a higher # - we have more people here you dope - over 9 x's larger US pop than CA

here are the top 10 murder per capita:

#1 columbia
#2 so africa
#3 jamaica
#4 venezuela
#5 russia
#6 mexico
#7 estonia
#8 latvia
#9 lithuania
#10 belarus

#24 US

by total #:
#1 india
#2 russia
#3 columbia
#4 so africa
#5 mexico
#6 US

do you have any clue how many illegal immigrants there are? Never read articles about latino, jamaican, or other ethnic gangs? That's not me being racial - it's a fact - now piss off.

World Murder Rates and their Relation to Firearm Ownership
Old 05-23-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quite often when we take the dink ashore for a while, leaving our boat unattended on a mooring or anchor, I will launch the kayak and keep the painter tied astern. This gives the impression to potentially dishonest boarders that someone is still aboard.
Old 05-23-2007

that's a good idea - I was thinking of something like that myself.