Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Gack!
These speakers are suitable for voice only. It only goes to 150 HZ...missing 2 full octaves of bass and has to be full of distortion when reproducing music. It is DESIGNED as a center channel speaker for a surround sound system that has a separate source for bass. It is NOT a stand alone speaker though it likely does quite well on talk radio and VHF.
The ONLY reason for the oval drivers and design is NOT sound BUT to FIT it in a standard DIN slot in a dash above a DIN radio to get a center channel for a 5.1 surround sound. The product was introduced by Alpine in 2005 and has been discontinued and NOT replaced. Center channel speakers are DESIGNED FOR VOICE to anchor dialog front and center in video surround system.

If you like Alpine speakers get these:
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SPR-M700

Notice the bottom end...45H vs. 150HZ...and marinized grills and construction...5db MORE efficient AND you get a pair of them for less $$. No contest!

Last edited by camaraderie; 06-18-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Marie, have you considered not putting the speakers in the cockpit, but say at the mast base facing rear instead?

I find cockpit speakers are always too close in one half, too blocked or far in the other. Strong magnets can affect your binnacle compass, and speaker grills seem to make good footholds when the boat is heeled. I'd only put the in the coamings, well recessed and protected, and I'd try then out first to make sure the compass wasn't affected.

If they will only be used in port or in good wx, a pair of miniboxes (i.e. the Polk or Bose) can be clipped on the lifelines or stanchions as best suit you, if you leave enough wire lead for them. Moved below or to the foredeck if the mood suits you.
Old 06-19-2007
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Gack!
These speakers are suitable for voice only. It only goes to 150 HZ...missing 2 full octaves of bass and has to be full of distortion when reproducing music.
Gack? That's a good one!!!

You shouldn't pay 'too' much attention to the bench specs. There is little relationship between good specs and good sound. For example, at home I have dual 25watt monoblock tube power amplifiers and a tube pre-amp that are 'supposed' to have lousy dynamic range and loads of distortion, but what the specs don't tell ya is they provide a kind of wonderful, natural sound that you can't get without tubes.

My home speakers - mini magneplaners - were chosen because I can't afford really great sound in the full dynamic range - not that my ears could stand it. So I chose speakers that are fantastic in the middle range and have three dimensional sound, i.e. "depth" - very important with live opera. (I should qualify my statements by saying that I hate loud music and chose my system for its ability to provide great sound at lower volumes - the oppposite of most stereo or surround systems which have to be cranked to get the 'goods'.)

Using center channel speakers for music may be horrifying to a purist, but it's totally appropriate for me. Most recorded music is in the middle anyway, and that's where you need the best sound. Of course, this assumes that the center channel speakers are of good quality. I've had B&Ws and many other brands of audiophile speaker in my house at one time or another and I'll tell ya: on a small boat like mine that little Alpine is great! The singers sound like they're right there with you, as do the folks on VHF. The speaker is fantastic -ideal for a person who prefers to 'KISS' .

Too bad it was disco'd - argghhh

Last edited by capecodphyllis; 06-19-2007 at 04:52 AM.