Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007

mrh116 is on a distinguished road
I agree that the boat market is just a swing off of the housing bubble among other things. However, from my perspective, it matters not. I just don't know how long this situation is going to last. I am thinking that by this time next year, interest rates will be up a bit and 'cheap' money won't be an option. I really think this fall will be one of the best opportunities to buy a boat.

BTW, the SC boat was a Hank Hinkley design by a Maine manufacturer named OC (I forget the company name). The boat needed a little TLC, but was really a family weekend cruiser. No real accomodations for a liveaboard.

My best boat so far is the Whitby 42. I really like that boat, although I don't know how much of an off-shore boat it is. I have zero experience w/ any offshore sailing but I would really like to cruise abroad in the future. A Hans Christian or Caliber 40LRC are target boats, but the Whitby has as much room as a small studio apartment. It would make for a nice liveaboard.

I think I am going to check out some of the other forums regarding boat buying and what people are cruising on.

I appreciate your exchange on this forum.

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2007

ahoppin is on a distinguished road
Looking to purchase a boat for live-aboard in NYC

Hi-- thanks for the great thread. I'm in the market to purchase a boat for liveaboard in New York City-- do you have any pointers to the best places to purchase?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-05-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Andrew, where can you live aboard in NYC?
Old 09-26-2007
Banned

jonniesail is on a distinguished road
wow thanks for all this information i will relay this to my friends in NY
Old 02-10-2008

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04
Hey,
So right now we are looking at Liberty Landing and anywhere else?
I am trying to search out my options for my 36 ft sailboat, myself and my fiancee. She works in NYC, but riding a train in either from CT or Long Island wouldnt be out of the question.
I would be looking to head up that way end of summer/early fall and stay for at least a year most likely.
Thanks in advance,
Jake
Old 02-10-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jake, probably LL or Gateway Marina, across from Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. LL is the way closer commute, Gateway means a short bus ride up Flatbush Avenue to the end of the F (?) train and then another 1/2 hour to downtown NYC. Needless to say, very different places but when all is said and done, probably the two "simplest" for the purpose.
Old 02-10-2008
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road
Hi Jake, dont come here often, suggest you check out livingaboard dot com, superb site for LAs
We live at Liberty Landing Marina, great place, hard to get into this time of year. Lot of LAs in the NY area, most on the hudson though. Liberty Landing, Liberty Marina, Lincoln Harbor Marina are the most common. Other, a bit further up the river as well you may want to try.

Winter is not great but not bad either. If you insulate, add heaters pretty comfortable so far.
If you have any specific questions feel free to email me.
cheers
Burry
Old 02-10-2008

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Whitby in good shape is a great liveaboard boat Mark. Check them out!

Regards,
Red
Old 02-11-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Liveaboard marinas in NYC area

As suggested by others, Liberty Landing and Lincoln/Weehawken would probably provide the shortest commute to Manhattan. I have stayed at LL during the summer while transiting and can attest that this marina can be quite noisy until late because of a nearby outdoor bar/restaurant. It is probably relatively quiet when it gets too cold for them to operate outdoors.
If you want a more tranquil spot you could try Haverstraw Marina but the commute from there is well over an hour. City Island has several marinas and while there is public transportation (bus to subway) it would also be about an hours commute to Manhattan. There is a small marina near LaGuardia Airport off the East River but I am pretty sure it is a bit 'rustic' for most people, not to mention noisy with jets passing by every few minutes.
I kept my boat a few winters at Jude Thaddeus Glen Cove marina and there was at least one couple living on a house boat. This marina was recently acquired by a conglomerate so I am not sure what their live aboard policy will be going forward. Commute from Glen Cove is a little over an hour by train whereas the train from Manhasset is about 40 minutes.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2008
Plausible Deniability

Caleb, the marina near LGA is Flushing Marina, formerly World's Fair Marina (from the 64 fair). Doesn't officially allow liveaboards, and you'll be covered in kerosene soot because you are in the takeoff/landing pattern. Worse, you're in a bad neighborhood, the corner of Corona and an industrial wasteland and there's foot traffic of the kind that will take a kidney along with your wallet.