Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
Since you brought up the topic; our marina contract says if I sell my boat they get I think 5% of the sale price. Just because it was floating in there property when it sold.

It's always rubbed me the wrong way, anyone have the same stipulation?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
Since you brought up the topic; our marina contract says if I sell my boat they get I think 5% of the sale price. Just because it was floating in there property when it sold.

It's always rubbed me the wrong way, anyone have the same stipulation?
How the hell does the marina get a piece of the action? What service do they provide that entitles them to that? That is certainly not the case in any marina I have ever kept a boat, or worked, in, AFAIK.
Old 07-24-2007

you know, it's as insane as it sounds. I head to read it a few times to make sure I had it right.

Although the marina is now owned by a reputable person with what I consider good business sense, he purchased it from someone with less than stellar reputation. The only thought I had was that it's still old contracts in use.

If you want, I'll dig up the contract and quote that part of it.

Last edited by SoOkay; 07-24-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
SoOkay, 5 percent of your boat is a good chunk of change. If it was 5 percent of a cheap boat, I would tell the Marina to "kick rocks". It would cost them more in legal fees and time than they would ever get out of it.

Tagster, putting two and two together, and once again coming up with five, I noticed that you are coming to SF Bay. Depending on how long you stay here, there are transient slips in many marinas. You will have better luck finding live aboards in the East Bay than you will in either sausalito or San Francisco.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-24-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Pretty funny that somebody living in the PRB would be shocked that there would be commissars patrolling the docks at Berkeley Marina. The sad thing down here is everything within a hundred yards of mean high tide is governed by the Bay-Coastal Development Commission (BCDC). They are the folks that restrict the live-aboard anchor-outs in Richardson Bay as well as set the max percentage of live-aboards in marinas, both public and private. For example, recently, my YC wanted to fill in a swimming pool. The permit process went smoothly until it went before the BCDC. In exchange for them signing off on the building permit they wanted us to open up our private grounds and boat yard to public access. This was so they could re-route the Bay trail from in front of our club about a hundred yards so it could follow the waterís edge. Dredging down here is also prohibitively expensive. Dredge spoils are considered hazardous waste and cannot be moved from one part of the Bay to another. Nor can they be dumped in the ocean (which was declared a National Marine Sanctuary). Spoils have to be trucked away to a landfill (most common is back fill for the levies in the Delta). Port of Oakland got around this when they deepened the Estuary by pumping the spoils into Oakland Middle harbor under the guise of wetlands restoration. Arenít you glad you live in Washington? Care to re-think that move to the Bay area?
Old 07-26-2007

That's ok. In fact I am selling her. . . to me. She is currently legally owned by my soon to be ex wife. now what's 5% of $1.00?

I never worried about the clause. If she ever truly is sold it will happen during winter ...at a different marina
Old 07-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
That's ok. In fact I am selling her. . . to me. She is currently legally owned by my soon to be ex wife. now what's 5% of $1.00?

I never worried about the clause. If she ever truly is sold it will happen during winter ...at a different marina
Sweeeeet. She's a nice boat. I'll give you twice what you are getting for her.

GeorgeB - interesting about the dredging restrictions. i would like to know how then, they can dredge out the Bay and dump it onto the sandbar off ocean beach. They spent a good part of last year doing it, and it ruined a good half mile of surf spots.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-26-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2007

I dunno. I won't consider anything below a 500% profit margin