Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hank...when one is cruising and living aboard, it is tough to take your desktop into town to hookup to the local internet cafe or find a wifi signal. Also...when on the hook for months at a time in a harbor let me assure you that amp draw is a concern of every cruiser. At the dock....in home territory with a good wifi connection a desktop makes sense. I would say more than 9 of 10 cruisers we meet use laptops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

Most cruisers I know have at least two computers. Using a micro-ATX desktop as the primary on the boat, and using a laptop as the portable/backup machine, would give you the ability to have the best of both worlds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Hyperion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud
Checkout the Panisonic Toughbook: Panasonic Toughbook -- Fully-Rugged

I just have a regular dell laptop and I've never had any problems. I suppose after a few years it might start to get salty, but I always upgrade before then.
I have - as does nearly everyone else at our head office - a Toughbook for work. It IS very tough where shocks (i.e. impact and drops) are concerned, but I have no idea how it would respond to a salty environment.
Old 07-11-2007
Senior in age only

HankOnthewater is on a distinguished road
Yes Cameraderie, I can see your point, I have not sailed the world (as yet). Initially I used my mobile phone as a modem. I don't use WIFI for Internet, but the G-3 mobile network to log on. Sofar I never left the shores of Australia for more than 70 miles. Only between towns/harbours I am out of range.

And yes, often I looked at laptops, as they take even less room and use less power than SFF computers. And every time I upgraded, I decided on a desktop,...sofar.

Apart from price, the deciding factor was nearly always, that I can fix desktops, replace parts easlily and add things economically. However in truth I never updated my computer parts. Just replaced the lot after 3 or 4 years.

I must say I have never owned a laptop. I guess, one could call me biased.
take care
Hank

PS I have WIFI on board, connecting my with my printer, phone etc.
Old 07-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hank..I always loved my desktops cause I could fix them, upgrade them and poke around in them. I do hate throwing away laptops cause it is more expensive to get them repaired than to buy a new one. The price we pay for convenience.
Old 07-11-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog

Dessicant packets, like silica gel, really need an airtight environment in order to function properly. Otherwise, their limited ability to draw moisture out of the air is easily overwhelmed, and then they're effectively doing nothing.
You also need to make sure you occassionally either replace or "desorb" the silica packs from time to time. It amazes me how often you will see something large like a guitar shipped in a cardboard box with a single silica pack.
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart
You also need to make sure you occassionally either replace or "desorb" the silica packs from time to time. It amazes me how often you will see something large like a guitar shipped in a cardboard box with a single silica pack.
Many commercially available desicants can be "recharged" by drying in an oven for 30 minutes at about 180˚ or so.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
I own my laptop just over one year now. My first criteria was to find one that would offer a world wide warranty. Not the kind where you have to ship it back, but had offices all over the world and if I had a problem I could take it to the local place. While several offered world wide warranty, only IBM allows me to take it to a store in the country that I am in at the time it screws up.
I ended up with an IBM Z60M and so far I am very satisfied with it. MISTRESS is a very dry boat below, and the laptop does not go on deck, therefore I have not had a problem with salt air/water. I also have a Pelican Case and like that fact it will float 100 lbs if need be, and did the foam cut outs to fit the sat phone and the laptop. When not put away in the case, the laptop is mounted via RAM MOUNT in my office which is starboard of the foremast. So far, so good.
I did get an extended warranty, and will be sending it off for a tune up in the next week or two. I want to make sure all is working perfectly before we head out up the east coast of US, and later to the Caribbean.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-12-2007
moderate?

Kathleen...I didn't know IBM still made laptops. I thought they sold out to the Chinese under the Lenovo brand. Do you actually have an IBM brand?
Old 07-12-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Yes I do. I ordered it directly from IBM, however, the case that I ordered with it, ( a $69.95 soft case, I rarely use) did come from Lenovo. My laptop says IBM ThinkPad, and no where on it does it say Lenovo. When I call for service questions, I still call IBM. Lenovo is part of it, but I cannot say for sure how that works. Does anyone else here know?
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS

Last edited by SchoonerMISTRESS; 07-12-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.