Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's rather complete info on the Union36...
http://www.cruiser.co.za/hostsecret8.asp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

MARRSY is on a distinguished road
Thanks Cam
Old 10-11-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
tayana 37 may be a good boat for for you. try searching on yachtworld.com . plenty in your price range. strong, 3 interiors to choose from, and a truly take anywhere boat. they sure are pleasing to the eye as well.
Old 10-28-2007

BoatBumm is on a distinguished road
I am looking at buying a 85' Turkey built Traditional Wooden Ketch. I know there will be a lot of upkeep but the amount of room is great. I am looking for something with room and safe to live / sail on as a home. Does anybody have any comment good or bad here as I need advise.

Thanks,

Boat Bum
Old 10-28-2007

flomaster is on a distinguished road
Ever consider a multihull? I distinctly remember a few cats that had come in from time to time from somewhere in africa. Of course, these were new boats, but I'm sure you could find something used if you wanted to.
There is alot of living space on a modern cat, and they are pretty easy to sail, although it took a bit for me to get used to the motion (I own a monohull).
Old 10-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, there are some catamarans and a few trimarans that are suitable for use as a liveaboard.

However, most of the newer models are going to be fairly expensive... and many of the older ones are going to need some serious work. Many of the older catamarans are home-built wooden beasties and I would be very hesitant to buy one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARRSY View Post
But not too crazy I hope ... with that said I'm in the process of selling everything I own on land (my house, cars, furniture, etc)... I'm 33 with no family so just me to worry about. I plan to buy a used sailboat (never solo sailed bigger that 20 footers) in the 35 to 40 ft range to take from New England down south thru the keys and the Bahamas... I plan to continue making my living as a musician (not worried about that or making money) what I'm worried about is that I keep changing my mind on boats... I want a comfortable home; ability to take a few friends on extended cruises, so maybe two private cabins and two heads, one with a separate shower, want to be able to live on the hook for most of the rest of my life, I want shore power but don’t want to be stuck in a marina. I’ve traveled all the US and most of Europe but on land and want a new adventure… I want a blue water boat but comfortable, I may never make it across the Atlantic but I’ll probably try at some point… My choices so far are: (not by preference).

Pearson’s particularly the 37-2 1987 –1990
Hunter 37.5 from the 1990’s - I love the layout, not sold on the capabilities of the boat
Islander Freeport 41 – love the look of the windows in the back of the boat (Yeah, a little vain)
Some 1980’s C and C’s
Formosa – have always loved these boats
Cals

I would like to spend approx 60 - 90 grand on the boat and I’ll be the first to admit that most of my choices are purely aesthetic…
I want a boat that I can single hand, live on the hook for extended periods – I want solar, wind and generator power, want privacy, workable and liveable kitchen, good deck room, preferable a sloop maybe cutter rig, coastal cruising for the most part but when I decided to go back to Europe a boat that will take me there…
Any and all suggestions is what I’m looking for – all of you ideas on a particular boat and accessories I’ll need to accomplish this… Thanks in advance of any answers…
OK....you're crazy!!
Old 01-10-2008

rugeley is on a distinguished road
you're crazy
Old 01-14-2008

EuphoriaOz is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARRSY View Post
But not too crazy I hope ... with that said I'm in the process of selling everything I own on land (my house, cars, furniture, etc)... I'm 33 with no family so just me to worry about. I plan to buy a used sailboat (never solo sailed bigger that 20 footers) in the 35 to 40 ft range to take from New England down south thru the keys and the Bahamas... I plan to continue making my living as a musician (not worried about that or making money) what I'm worried about is that I keep changing my mind on boats... I want a comfortable home; ability to take a few friends on extended cruises, so maybe two private cabins and two heads, one with a separate shower, want to be able to live on the hook for most of the rest of my life, I want shore power but don’t want to be stuck in a marina. I’ve traveled all the US and most of Europe but on land and want a new adventure… I want a blue water boat but comfortable, I may never make it across the Atlantic but I’ll probably try at some point… My choices so far are: (not by preference).

Pearson’s particularly the 37-2 1987 –1990
Hunter 37.5 from the 1990’s - I love the layout, not sold on the capabilities of the boat
Islander Freeport 41 – love the look of the windows in the back of the boat (Yeah, a little vain)
Some 1980’s C and C’s
Formosa – have always loved these boats
Cals

I would like to spend approx 60 - 90 grand on the boat and I’ll be the first to admit that most of my choices are purely aesthetic…
I want a boat that I can single hand, live on the hook for extended periods – I want solar, wind and generator power, want privacy, workable and liveable kitchen, good deck room, preferable a sloop maybe cutter rig, coastal cruising for the most part but when I decided to go back to Europe a boat that will take me there…
Any and all suggestions is what I’m looking for – all of you ideas on a particular boat and accessories I’ll need to accomplish this… Thanks in advance of any answers…
Sounds like you want a catamaran
Old 03-01-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
Any ship will be a compromise between several factor, speed, safety, payload, comfort etc. If comfort is your priority, then you will need space, and the ship will probably have a broader beam, which will make it slower, etc. I will suggest a gaffrigged ship. A gaffrigged ship has the total sailarea distributed among several sails, thus each sail is easier to handle alone. Also, it is easier to use fewer sails if the wind gets strong (above 40 knots)

My ship is 37 feet gaffrigged ketch, with 7 sails, and I have no problems in haling and saving the sails by myself. A selfsteering system is very useful when sailing alone.

Of course you are crazy.