Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007

MARRSY is on a distinguished road
Tell me I'm crazy...

But not too crazy I hope ... with that said I'm in the process of selling everything I own on land (my house, cars, furniture, etc)... I'm 33 with no family so just me to worry about. I plan to buy a used sailboat (never solo sailed bigger that 20 footers) in the 35 to 40 ft range to take from New England down south thru the keys and the Bahamas... I plan to continue making my living as a musician (not worried about that or making money) what I'm worried about is that I keep changing my mind on boats... I want a comfortable home; ability to take a few friends on extended cruises, so maybe two private cabins and two heads, one with a separate shower, want to be able to live on the hook for most of the rest of my life, I want shore power but don’t want to be stuck in a marina. I’ve traveled all the US and most of Europe but on land and want a new adventure… I want a blue water boat but comfortable, I may never make it across the Atlantic but I’ll probably try at some point… My choices so far are: (not by preference).

Pearson’s particularly the 37-2 1987 –1990
Hunter 37.5 from the 1990’s - I love the layout, not sold on the capabilities of the boat
Islander Freeport 41 – love the look of the windows in the back of the boat (Yeah, a little vain)
Some 1980’s C and C’s
Formosa – have always loved these boats
Cals

I would like to spend approx 60 - 90 grand on the boat and I’ll be the first to admit that most of my choices are purely aesthetic…
I want a boat that I can single hand, live on the hook for extended periods – I want solar, wind and generator power, want privacy, workable and liveable kitchen, good deck room, preferable a sloop maybe cutter rig, coastal cruising for the most part but when I decided to go back to Europe a boat that will take me there…
Any and all suggestions is what I’m looking for – all of you ideas on a particular boat and accessories I’ll need to accomplish this… Thanks in advance of any answers…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007

ccam is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to "buying a sailboat" search on sailnet. It is a tremendous source of info.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/forumd...daysprune=&f=3
1984 HC 33T #61

Last edited by ccam; 08-20-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope, not a particularly crazy idea. I wouldn't consider the Pearsons, Hunters, or C&Cs as particularly good bluewater boats. I wouldn't necessarily say you need to have a bluewater capable boat to do the trip down the east coast and out along the islands to the Caribbean either. However, if you're planning to cross the Atlantic, it might be wiser to get a true bluewater capable boat.

However, finding a boat with two heads, a separate shower, and two private cabins for your budget is going to be a bit tough, especially since I recommend that you reserve about 15-20% of your boat buying budget for refitting, repairing, and upgrading any boat you do buy.

I would recommend that you get a sloop-rigged boat about 30-35' in LOA since you will be single-handing much of the time. Finding a boat with solar, wind and generator power in that size range highly unlikely. Gensets aren't very common on boats, and even less so on boats <40' in size, since they take a fair amount of space to install. Dual heads are also pretty uncommon on boats < 40'.

A liveable galley is usually a serious compromise on most monohulls. The galleys on catamarans are generally much more spacious and more than just functional, which is how I would describe the galleys on most monohulls.

BTW, most bluewater boats are going to have less room than the coastal cruising boats are, since that is typically how bluewater boats are designed. They often have narrower beams, and smaller salons and galleys, which make them safer in heavy weather, but somewhat less suitable for living aboard. However, at least two couples were living aboard Alberg 30s with a child for some time... one couple still does and has a blog about it.

One boat that might be a good choice for you is the Hallberg Rassy 35. There are several for sale on Boats.com. Another good candidate might be the Southern Cross 35. Its smaller siblings, the Southern Cross 28 and 31 have both made circumnavigations. Donna Lange just finished a circumnavigation in an SC28 earlier this year. One caveat on the SC boats are that they have an Airex-cored hull.... so need to be checked for water intrusion into the hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-09-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
OK -- you're crazy. Now that that is out of the way....

The P-37-2 layout is a bit odd compared to most other boats that size. You need to think whether that layout would work for you in the long run. It's also really set up for one couple.

Having said that, check out a P-36-2 of the same era. It's actually the same boat but lacks the bowsprit that gives the extra length for the 37. Very roomy boat with a more traditional layout that may better suit a long term liveaboard lifestyle. Just a thought. I own a P-33-2 so I am biased towards Pearson's.

Go for it!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 07-09-2007

Saildog, thanks for the reply...didn’t think my idea was too crazy but most of my friends do… the galley is not a huge need but I was surprised about the wind and solar gens... I had pretty much figured I wouldn't find all my perks for my price - I was pretty sure about the hunters and CC as not being that best choices but the Pearson’s I thought would fit the bill a little more - that's why I liked the 37-2 (not as a blue water) - never been on one though but it has a layout I like… and I already figured in the 20 percent refit cost before my buying price…

Sailormitch… OK, I’m a bit crazy but that makes it all the more fun … I thought I looked at the 36-2 and the layout was different than the 37-2 but I’ll go back and look… I like the two seats instead of the bench seat… but tell me why that's might be bad for the long run liveaboard lifestyle ... I thought the same my self or they would have made more boats like that. And at the moment it will only be me... buy more importantly I’ve been waiting for 1-20-09 for 7 years now… not soon enough.

Thanks again for the replies
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help...

Sailormitch- Did you adopt Fred??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-09-2007

Saildog - just caught your edits - I do like the H and r's not all the prices but some fit - the southern cross is another boat I've been looking into as well... this is my problem I keep going back and forth from boats that are true blue to boats that are in between - I think what I need to do is find a boat I love and can live in/with and deal with those limitations and my sailing limitations and find a nice compromise between the two…
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

From what I've seen of the Rasmus and the SC boats, they're boat spacious enough to be a reasonable liveaboard... especially for a single person. Both are very solid and capable bluewater boats IMHO, and make much more sense than getting a coastal cruiser. It is also far more likely that a bluewater boat is going to have some of the auxilliary items you're looking for, like solar panels, wind generator and wind vanes.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-09-2007

I've been thinking the same dog -
Old 07-10-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
You're not crazy. Check out the Swedish made Vindo's.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.