Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007
generalacha

generalacha is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to generalacha Send a message via Yahoo to generalacha
lots of questions

hi friends, Im new in it, i am working in my personal proyect, liveaboard, now I am looking and check the used sailboats in my area, I live in miami, and i checking marinas to liveaboard, but the cheapest have large waiting list, near four years, someone talk me about anchor in the bay, and i think that it's not a good idea, I am working full time in a restaurant, and my question is where i cant put my dingy in a secure place. I left my boat at miday and i return at midnight, is a long time for my boat alone, or not?? when I enter in sailnet.com and start to read the diferent things, I feel that it's my dream, and somes is very interesting for me. Thank a lot and if someone have any idea about it, really, please let me know what can i do and which is your think about it, i'm very gratefull with these people,
PD sorry for my english, i'm studying it. bye bye
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generalacha-

First, anchoring for extended periods of time, especially as a liveaboard is being discouraged throughout most of Florida. The marine police and local jurisidictions are getting pretty nasty about it, with arrests and large fines.

If getting into a local marina isn't possible... and from what i understand there were a lot of vacanies in Florida marinas following the hurricanes and the changes in insurance rules... you might look to a local sailing school or yatch club and see if you can work out an arrangement where you can act as a "night watchman" and keep your boat on their premises. An acquaintance of mine and his wife liveaboard their boat in Boston, doing something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Check the mooring field at Dinner Key Marina. They have a secure dinghy dock there and would be cheaper than a slip. You'll need some way to generate electricity though, depending on your electrical needs.

Currently at 35 32 11 N 76 37 20 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Check the mooring field at Dinner Key Marina. They have a secure dinghy dock there and would be cheaper than a slip. You'll need some way to generate electricity though, depending on your electrical needs.

Currently at 35 32 11 N 76 37 20 W
do they allow liveaboards there??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
From what I saw, they're mostly all liveaboards.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-17-2007

JustMeUC is on a distinguished road
This may seem like a completely newbie question (yes, actually it is, LOL) but can you just drop anchor somewhere for long term? I mean months at a time kinda long term? Set up your own concrete mooring even? I had never though about someone doing that...
Old 07-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
See the Dog's response from above.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Generalacha-

First, anchoring for extended periods of time, especially as a liveaboard is being discouraged throughout most of Florida. The marine police and local jurisidictions are getting pretty nasty about it, with arrests and large fines.
So the answer is NO, you legally can't drop anchor for an extended period of time or you face fines and possibly being arrested????

I assume that this has been discussed before, can someone point me to a specific thread that discusses it? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a good one.
It will take you a couple of hours to read through.

Anchoring Rights

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-17-2007

Thanks!

I'll take a look.