Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I am well aware that Macs are very reliable... I'm on 12" PB... and normally use a 15" MacBook Pro. BTW, if you haven't tried it... MacENC is pretty good and allows you to use both the BSB raster charts and the newer ENC vector charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
macs are very reliable. and if it goes out you lose your entertainment center; that's why god made books and women.

and btw, you can get a mac version of duke nuken 3d! "gonna rip 'em a new one". classic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I'm sitting in front of the Bitter End Yacht Club waiting for football to start. I have a Marine RV antenna/amplifier, Slingbox at home on my cable, DSL and will watch myJags beat the Bills in a couple of hours. WiFi is everywhere in the Carib now and with the Slingbox I can keep up with local news at home as well as watch the football games.
Old 11-25-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
i'm using gpsnavex. 50 bucks. it only does raster, but i didn't want to pay the $500.00 for canadian vector charts.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 11-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Speciald...life is good! (g)
Old 11-29-2007

db27513 is on a distinguished road
LCD TVs that take 12V

I too am shopping for an LCDTV to mount on my bulkhead. The question that remains unanswered is the 12v issue. I want to power direct from the bats. The only way Ive been able to determine if they run on 12Vs, is to head down to the local Walmart, put on my closeup glasses and headlamp, and start pulling at the wires behind the display models, looking for the power bricks, and reading the molded on micro type for the power in/out.. is there a better way?? CC & Bestbuy have specs online, but not this granular.. Has anyone done this?

One other point - most of what you'll be watching on your brand new HD capable LCD TV will not be HD - it'll be standard definition video (broadcast & DVD). I purchased a Polaroid from Walmart a few months ago, and once they disconnected the HD feed, it never looked the same.. It was blotchy & fuzzy with a normal cable (non HD) feed.

Nice thing about Walmart, if you dont like the color of the box it came in, they will take it back no questions asked.
Old 11-29-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
TV's on boats?
What's next - hot water, gasp, air conditioning

I've found that boat life is sunrise to sunset and have never found the time to watch TV onboard. We've carried laptops and dvd's for week long trips and never once plugged it in.

Read a book, talk to your first (and hopefully last) mate or watch a sunset with your favorite coldie in hand. Leave the TV at home unless the boat is your home.
Old 11-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
db-

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only option you have. Most websites, even the manufacturers, will generally not have the input voltage for the actual set, only the input voltage for the wall wart, if it uses one.

A lot of areas already have ATSC over-the-air broadcast HDTV. Any TV built after March of this year will have a built-in ATSC tuner. Sme cable networks have QAM over-cable HDTV signals, but not all do.

Personally, I think Chuckles has it right.. I don't have a TV aboard and don't really want one. If I do get one, it's primary use will be as a monitor for my laptop.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
When not out cruising or doing overnighters on the hook (which is typically every weekend), we use our boat as a second home while at the marina. In this situation we, like most boaters, are creatures of habit. The mid-week home routine is usually repeated onboard. With us, that usually involves reading after talking about the day's events, and sharing a couple glasses of wine.

However, upon coming home or to the boat from the office, we also like to catch up on current events by reading the paper and watching local and national news reports on TV. On occasion, we take in a PBS program such as NOVA or a documentary. For the most part, we dislike prime-time commercial TV - will usually opt for a DVD movie on the boat, since we don't have cable onboard such as at home.

The onboard TV is used in these cases - extremely rare for us to watch a TV broadcast when away from dock. DVDs however, are welcome entertainment when snotty weather forces us to the pilothouse.
Old 11-29-2007

db27513 is on a distinguished road
much agreed about the content of TV - older I get the less interesting it is.. cant take the commercials. Besides a weekend football game, I probably take in less than an hour a week.. however a DVD while on hook is a nice little luxury to have
Old 11-29-2007

KismetP362 is on a distinguished road
In the spring rush, I convinced myself that an LCD tv would be a good idea. I bought a Westinghouse 17" widescreen TV/monitor. Power was over the inverter/shore power when needed. I got it all rigged up and working, Tied it into my stereo and everything. Launch day came and went. Sailed a ton last summer. I think I turned it on once to prove to someone that it was really installed and working. Now I have the same amount of work to get the damn thing off my bulkhead and fill the holes.. I don't have kids yet so I guess I shouldn't fill the holes quite yet..

Laptop never really gets turned on either, to much work to do to keep the boat running smoothly and looking as good as I can manage. If you need to keep the kids entertained, I would suggest a bosons’ chair on the spinnaker halyard, crank em' just above the spreaders and go about your business. Just don't forget them up there. wife will get mad. Happy sailing.