Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
25' or 27' Samsung(can't remember which) mounted on the bulkhead with an articulating mount. The mount weighs as much as the tv, the total weight of about 50lbs was no problem. Through bolted it with large washers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
jef

Don't forget to transfer that 200W to 12V (instead of 110) for your battery draw. Around 2A at 110VAC, 20A for 12VDC.

Ryan
Old 08-22-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Ryan,

I am confused. If the TV is rated at 200 watts. Isn't this the same as a 200 watt light bulb? Does this mean that if I run 2 100 watt bulbs I am drawing 20 amps +/-?

jef
sv shiva
Old 08-22-2007

Let's say that you run a 200 watt TV from an inverter on your boat. The inverter supplies the TV with 110VAC. Amps=Watts/Volts, so 200W/110VAC = 1.8Amps. Now the other end of that inverter is connected to your battery bank. Since the inverter is just converting DC from the batteries to AC for the TV and not actually making it's own power, the inverter needs 200 watts from the batteries to provide the 200 watts the TV is using (actually its a little more depending on the inverter efficiency, power factor of the TV, etc. but this keeps the math easier). To get that 200 watts from the batteries, the same formula above applies. 200W/12VDC = 16.7Amps. Take into account losses and inefficiency of the inverter and a 20A draw from the batteries is a realistic number.

Hoepfully thid didn't ramble too much.
Old 08-22-2007

Jef

As for the light bulbs, they are rated at 100W at a given voltage (usually 110VAC). If you powered those two bulbs directly from a 12V battery, they wouldn't use 200 watts of power, and it would be obvious because they would not be very bright at all.

If on the other hand you powered the 2 100W bulbs from a 110VAC inverter that used your 12VDC batteries for power, you would draw the 20A from the batteries.
Old 08-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Somehow I can't picture my home tv room's 50" plasma screen on the boat.
Maybe not that big, but if I could switch chartplotter and RADAR displays onto it, I could see having a big screen on a bulkhead.
Old 08-22-2007
johnr

jr438234606 is on a distinguished road
If you get one that operates on 12V, be sure to use a DC-DC converter to provide stable DC power.
Old 08-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sander...Rhaley has answered your question to me. 200 watts is about 20AMPS when you are working off your batteries (12Vx 16.7A) with added loss to invert it back to AC power.
Note that is for a BIG, Bright Display ...a 19" LCD set takes about 1/4 of that power to run!
Old 08-22-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cam-
The requirement to have an HDTV tuner built in was phased in--for TV's. For other devices, sometimes not. And there are apparently still a LOT of TV's on the market now, which were manufactured before the rule took effect.

As usual, caveat emptor, a lot of "clearance" priced TV's are just going to have analog tuners and if you can't or don't invest in an HDTV "downconverter" in 2009...they'll have limited uses.

I was looking for a 15" or smaller tv, analog+hdtv ready to use now--and found there's very little. Seems like everyone wants 17-19" asw the minimum now, dual use as a monitor.
Old 08-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...yup..that's why I warned Shack to make sure he got HDTV built in. A lot of those sale prices are for sets that will be obsolete in another year or so.
I am not aware of anything out there in 15" size that does not need a separate atsc tuner to get HD. Patience ...it has to happen soon!