Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007

nauticalnut is on a distinguished road
Feeding the cruising kitty

Hi,

I am wondering what some people do to feed the cruising kitty while out there? What are the marketable skills that are in demand out there whilst cruising?

I have 20+yrs in I.T., with extensive exp. in Unix servers, Personal computers and laptops, as well as printers, networking, and Cellular technology (Currently a Sr. Systems Engineer for a major Cellular Co.). I use to be a HP Field Engineer - Technician and can repair the above systems as well as administer them. Is there a market in the caribbean for such a skill set?

Where\how do you find the part\full time jobs in the carib while cruising?

My wife and I are working towards becoming full time liveaboards and caribbean cruisers; although we are going about it somewhat backwards... We bought the dinghy first and are starting to look for the boat. We already have the living in confined spaces down pat after living in a 13x26 foot efficency motel room with 2 cats for a year when we first moved to Florida.
Now we just need to figgure out the boat issue and how to feed the "kitty" while sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If your cruising the Caribbean, I don't think you can realistically feed the "kitty". You can do some barter and make a few bucks here and there from other cruisers, but really that's about it. But it is not something you can rely on week after week or month after month.
Good Luck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2007

mmcginnis is on a distinguished road
This guy talks about things he and others did to make a little extra money. Plus a lot of other general info.

http://ca.geocities.com/buttimore@ro...roduction.html

Mike
Old 09-02-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcginnis View Post
This guy talks about things he and others did to make a little extra money. Plus a lot of other general info.

http://ca.geocities.com/buttimore@ro...roduction.html

Mike
A very good web site about a guy out there cruising. Little or nothing about feeding the kitty.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem is that to do much of the kind of work you are qualified for, you will need to have a work permit...if you get caught doing work without one, you'll probably end up paying a lot more than you made... Unless you have contacts in the islands, getting a work permit will be problematic.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-02-2007
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
Sail was invented to ease the transport of people and goods.Perhaps you can find something to transport.
Old 09-02-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Sail was invented to ease the transport of people and goods.Perhaps you can find something to transport.
I heard there some very profitable goods you could transport even in a small sailboat from S America to US.
The pay is very good while it last and you will have no problems with retirement plan.
Depending where you get caught you can get anything from 15 years to lifetime or loose your life.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 09-02-2007
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
There are many things one could move from port to port,not all of them fall under the draconian drug laws of the US
Old 09-03-2007

GREGGWARREN is an unknown quantity at this point
I will not feed the kitty.

basickly sayin do not take a cat with you unless u use it for bait.
Old 09-03-2007
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGWARREN View Post
basickly sayin do not take a cat with you unless u use it for bait.
Gregg, I think you misunderstood? Cruising kitty refers to funds for sailing, living expenses, etc...or did I miss your sarcasm?
DJ

-Mignon McLaughlin