Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IF you like that line, you'll like what my friend Norm says... "I'm still young, I plan to die young, and I ain't dead yet." He's almost sixty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
But sometimes I feel more like the country song: "I'm much too young to feel so darn old"

sigh.
Old 09-20-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We looked at one of these boats recently - a Tayana 55. The owners said they take it out for a two week cruise each year, but it's been 4 years since they last did that. They Winter on the boat in the Northeast too. The decks were in tough shape. The sails hadn't been unfurled or raised in 4 years "so they are in great condition!" There was no footpump for the galley sink - "It wasn't very useful so we got rid of it"... and lots of other liveaboard adjustments. I found the whole thing kind of strange. On the other hand, I'd prefer to live on the water - period - even if I couldn't move what I was living in.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 09-20-2007

66luders is on a distinguished road
I feel like I want to make a confession. Last night under the shade of darkness I delivered a dorm room style fridge to my sailboat. I have no intention of trying to power this fridge when not connected to shore power. So it will be completely useless while sailing... which i have done very little of since purchasing the boat.
I do want to sail it, and not just to move it to another marina. It is the first boat i have ever sailed and i intend to learn on it.
I also intend to rebuild the DC powered icebox. But... at the rate that i have been getting work done on my boat I know it will be a fare amount of time before i am able to sail it regularly. And in the mean time it will be good to have a refridgerator that i can leave on 24/7 and is independant of the boats ground system.
It fits the oven location well enough that I should be able to secure for sailing. Besides this fridgerator and a LCD tv for my daughter everything I do to the boat is with the intention of cruising on it. Oh... i forgot, i also have a shore water hook up with pressure regulator... but I am re-doing the onboard water system.

I still feel guilty... I guess because I havent sailed since the day i arrived at my current marina... that was in May. Pretty soon. pretty soon i will have the wiring done (all DC BTW, only ac is the battery charger.)
Old 09-20-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
nothing to feel or be guilty about 66L ! Be happy!

my current "project"!
Old 09-20-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
From what I've seen. For a liveaboard to get underway it could take a couple of days to get things put away or secured for sailing. not mention the cable tv, the electric, the water connections. On the other hand it's really not my business why people do what they do. I'm sure there are people that think me getting a sailboat this late in life is odd.
I'm 56 and just bought my first sailboat...a 72 Aquarius 23. I love it! I wish I had a pond in my back yard so I could put there and sleep on it every single night!!

Andy
Old 09-23-2007

Yofy is on a distinguished road
We've lived aboard different boats for the last 15 or so years. And I'm sure during that time many of our neighbours have scratched their heads wondering why we weren't out sailing. The thing is we are either holed up in a marina working our touches off to top off our cruising kitty so we can get away sailing again, or we're in the middle of a refit with half of the boat disassembled. It's a common lament of many liveaboards. We try to look at the bright side and say that at times like this at least we are ON the water.

On the other hand, it is also true that after we've been offshore a bit, going out on the water for a few hours of tacking loses some of it's apeal. We sometimes feel that if we are going to go out sailing, then lets go for at least a couple of days so we can overnight. That may mean waiting a little until we get a few days off.

A couple of years ago we were crewing on a boat that sailed from the Red Sea to Turkey. We arrived at our final destination and pulled into our slip next to a beautiful 55 foot sailboat fully equiped with gleaming brightwork and spotless teak decks. When the owner stopped to chat with us he told us that they never left the dock. They flew in from Europe a few times a year and lived aboard. They were too afraid to go out sailing. We thought that was really sad.

Robyn

Old 09-24-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
The thing is we are either holed up in a marina working our touches off to top off our cruising kitty so we can get away sailing again, or we're in the middle of a refit with half of the boat disassembled.
Robyn, I'm with you on this one, that's my situation too. My boat has been in it's slip for nearly a year by itself and I'm sure everyone wonders why I ever bought it. What they don't know is that I bought it to go out for a cruise and see if I liked cruising, which I did, very much. SO much, in fact, that instead of spending time with my boat, I immediate started working as much as possible and started ignoring the boat so I can go cruising FOR REAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
A couple of years ago we were crewing on a boat that sailed from the Red Sea to Turkey. We arrived at our final destination and pulled into our slip next to a beautiful 55 foot sailboat fully equiped with gleaming brightwork and spotless teak decks. When the owner stopped to chat with us he told us that they never left the dock. They flew in from Europe a few times a year and lived aboard. They were too afraid to go out sailing. We thought that was really sad.
I reasoned this into my own thinking from the beginning and decided I want to spend as little as possible on a safe boat. Safety is my concern, seaworthiness, etc, not looks or "extras", or even comfort except in that it helps me be more safe. I want a boat I'm not afraid to leave at anchor so I can go off on adventures and not worry all the time what is happening to it. I don't want to be one of those people who sit at a restaurant looking over their shoulder all the time wondering if their boat is okay, or whatever. I want a boat I can leave for weeks at a time.

I want to live my life and have a great time, and I want the boat to do it's part. Which is quite a different goal from wanting the boat to have a great life, and doing my part.
Old 09-24-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
There are probably as many reasons as there are boats sitting in marinas year after year, but what I don't understand is why a sailboat? Why not a houseboat? They cost alot less, have far more amenities and usually have better accommodations.
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
There are probably as many reasons as there are boats sitting in marinas year after year, but what I don't understand is why a sailboat? Why not a houseboat? They cost alot less, have far more amenities and usually have better accommodations.
Because you can't go cruising in a houseboat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.