Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help! - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Good thoughts, everyone...
I remember my first sail on my keel boat. By myself, since no one was brave enough to sail with me. As I cast off, I have never docked one before.. and I didn't care. Well, the sailing part was easy, I raced all kinds of dinghies before.
Alas, the sun started setting and I had to find a place to pull in. I noticed a dock with pilings and no other boats around so I headed straight for it.
By the time I was done, I learned about the inertia of 5000 pounds of lead and it only cost me a bruised arm. I decided to stay away from pilings from now on.... And so it continues....
Yes, fear is a big factor, but you have to be afraid to survive... Ignorance is not bliss in this case. One thing though, I have never felt so connected to the primal animal that I am as when I go sailing. Everything seems brighter, sharper, more beautiful and terrifying on the water. It is a rush of emotions that can overwhelm one, but what a rush it is...
I plan on living on my boat. This winter and beyond.

The Seeker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
The way I describe it is that real sailing brings out an emotional nudity that some people can revel in while others recoil from exposing.
You don't just see it out in blue water crossings or on the deck of a boat involved in a pitched racing battle of tacks and counter-tacks....You just need to walk down by a launching ramp and hear how married couples suddenly treat eachother when it comes to launching or recovering their safe little trailer-sailers when life and limb are not even at stake.

Sasha
Old 09-26-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I see so very many boats in our marina that never leave the dock; it's not just limited to live-aboards. I have more understanding for the live-aboards who don't sail because they are living in their boat, because it's got to be difficult to pack your life away so that you can pull away from the dock and go for a daysail. What does not make sense is that these people don't use their boat on vacation days either (when everyone else packs up and tries to fight the vacation traffic to go somewhere).

I think that lots of people who buy boats don't have the experience they need to operate them. There was an old powerboat for sale at my dock last month, and the owner said that it was never used for the 20 years he owned it because he was afraid to dock it! So it sat there while the owner paid the slip fees and maintenance for all of those years without being used. I think much of the same thing happens with sailboats; either people are afraid to leave the dock for fear of hitting other boats or have had so much difficulty while sailing that they are afraid to hoist the sails and build their skills. It's a type of phobia, but something they wish they could do like Sasha has described so well. Some owners just let the boat of their dreams decay away at the dock because they are so "busy" they dont ever make time to check/work on it. Others are so meticulous about keeping their boat in bristol condition that they spend all of their time doing brightwork or repairs and never leave the dock also. I think it is for the same reason; fear of sailing or docking.

We sail my boat weekly if we are not doing a repair job. There are lots of minor jobs that need doing; but we have been having too much fun sailing this summer to stop and do the minor fixes!
Old 09-26-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Too much boat is what I see.
Sorry I did not read all 4 pages of this thread so this may have already been discussed already.
But from my point of view, I see buyers with some money to spend that have been dreaming of sailing all their lives. They go to a few boat shows and find the most comfortable boat they can. They want the wife happy, so she picks a boat based on comfort and size not on sailing characteristics or ease of shorthanded sailing.
They take delivery of the thing and the yard ties it up nicely for them in there slip. Than the first time they try to sail the 40+ footer with a 15 foot beam, they soon realize that there is more involved with sailing than the wonderful pictures in the colorful brochures of people lounging on decks drinking martinis, which the salesman had shown them at the nice boat show and they quickly find them selves in way over their heads. So they sit on their boats nicely tied in their safe and comfy slips never venturing out. It is very sad yes indeed. I gave up a long time ago thinking about such people. The only time I think about them is when they do actually leave or when they are returning. Than I am concerned about everybody’s safety with an inexperienced crew.
midnightsailor likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-26-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
IMO, it's only sad if they really want to get out and aren't enjoying life at the dock. Some are doing exactly what they want to. More power to them.
Old 09-26-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
I know of lots of reasons, boats stay in the slips day after day and some year after year.

I see one 38 foot sail boat that has not had a mast on it in the past 4 years. Owner was doing a rebuild and decided he wanted a steel boat and didn't want to put any more money in the existing boat... he and his SO used it as a floating home... nothing more than a floating trailer... they actually recently broke up and he sold the boat and moved into a trailer.

Another 28' Irwin is so covered in black and green mold you cant actually see the port holes anymore. Owner just got busy and stopped sailing about 3 years ago but keeps paying the slip fee. Don't think he has been to the docks in years as I have replaced a couple of the rotted lines just to keep the boat from floating away... but it appears to be getting lower in the water although the marina pumps it out every few months.. next heavy TS will probably sink her.

One power boat.. think a 32 Bertrand set up for diving seems to have more green whiskers growing off her bottom than any other boat in the place. Never seen her out but have seen the owners run the engines and clean the decks even have a few beers in the afternoon in the cockpit.. probably dreaming of what they would like to do rather than what they "have to do" or think they have to do... I know his one also involves a wife that hates the boat and hates having him spend time on it alone or with the guys. This may be a similar reason for a large number of under used boats in a marina or in back yards.

I don't have my boat here... she is thousands of miles away on the hard along with a couple of hundred other boats waiting for the Hurricane Season to pass. But when I was down, just a week or so ago, the boats all looked sad.. no sails just bare poles and booms, most with no lines except those securing the dinks on the decks. Many with covers over the portholes and weeds growing up the stands that supported them.

I know the tourist that pass by on cruise ships and by car probably are thinking "why own a boat and keep it in a marina?" As many reasons exist as are reasons people buy boats.
Old 09-27-2007
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Now you all got me scared...
I am about to plunge in to a liveaboard life myself...
I hope to sail 'till snow flies, go fishing, renew my recreational lobstering license. One hope is that as soon as I mention to my coworkers that I am getting a boat to live on, they start with sly remarks about "chicks and beer"..as if I am getting the whole thing started to attract women...
A friend of mine has been very successful at that. Every weekend he spends a day on the water, and there is a waiting list that starts on Monday. Bring your own beer and snacks, he will provide the ambiance.. It works.
So I hope my friends, at least, will keep me from becoming a sloth in a slip...

The Seeker
Old 09-30-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I've been following this thread.. I still don't understand why so many people care about why someone else's boat never leaves the slip.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I've been following this thread.. I still don't understand why so many people care about why someone else's boat never leaves the slip.
In my case that's an easy one, because I can't be out sailing I sit here on a sailing forum trying to find other sailing people to talk to, and this is what they are talking about, so it quickly becomes what I'm talking about.
Old 09-30-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Same reason why they care about how well others dock their boats, sail their boats, maintain their boats, etc. Matthew 7:1, 7:3

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.