Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help! - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014

Greenhand is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!

If you are talking about us, perhaps you were out sailing at the same time as us.

As for those weekends that we weren't sailing, well, it took us two and half weekends to take the steering pedestal apart and another whole weekend to clean it and put it back together. It took us two weekends to replace the batteries, install the new charger and get everything hooked back up with new cables, including pulling a whole lot of unused wiring in order to fit the larger cables through the existing holes in the bulkhead. The exhaust manifold was gone for two weekends. We rebedded the worst stanchion while that was happening, so we didn't have lifelines on the port side while the epoxy filler was setting. But we did go sailing in between each of those projects.
WGEwald likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Hank Williams has a Youtube song on this topic
jerryrlitton likes this.
Old 08-23-2014
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Interesting that you put so much thought into this . I have an old guy here on my dock who does the same thing , meaning spending time worrying over what others do or don't do, & making judgements on what others do & don't do , when it has absolutely zero impact on his life & is absolutely none of his business .
Old 4 Weeks Ago
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Our first three years as liveaboards we rarely went out. We both had jobs with hectic schedules which meant by the time we had a day off, usually meant boat chores. Add to that family and social commitments and finding time to cast off lines for a half day doesnt appear. Even so, we still enjoyed the boat and lifestyle and didnt care that someone thought it odd that we werent sailing every weekend.
now we are full time cruisers, averaging 200 days a year at anchor.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

mbianka is on a distinguished road

I've certainly seen my share of dock queens at the docks near my mooring but, they tend to be mostly power boaters. Though fuel costs might be a factor. The boats just seem to be expensive beach chairs. I joke with a former sailor who went over to the dark side that it would be cheaper and less maintenance for him just to have a barge in the slip to sit on. There is another couple with a sailboat who take it out and motor five minutes to a mooring in the harbor every weekend. They hardly ever leave the harbor but, they do leave the dock. Me I spend a lot of time on the mooring. Going out for day sails does not interest me. I like to have a destination in mind when I drop off the mooring. But, I'm content finding plenty of things on board to keep me busy until my wanderlust takes over and I head out on a cruise. My feeling is when you buy a boat and how you want to use it is your business. I can somewhat understand boats spending most of their time at the docks. Especially when people are working full time. But, what I get curious about is seeing another sailboat out on the waters without any sail up on a perfectly good sailing day:
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:50 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander66 View Post
Our first three years as liveaboards we rarely went out. We both had jobs with hectic schedules which meant by the time we had a day off, usually meant boat chores. Add to that family and social commitments and finding time to cast off lines for a half day doesnt appear......
I'm not going to knock anyone whose life is too busy to go sailing. However, for those working couples (like us) that don't live aboard fulltime and find the time to get out sailing on a weekend, all the same conflicts exist. Not sure why being a liveaboard makes them any more time consuming.

As for social commitments, we pretty much make it known that we are not available from May to Oct. We make the rare exception (not surprisingly on bad weather weekends usually), but once you start accepting summer invites, they never end. We've instead offered to host events aboard our boat which we're being invited to. Family has taken us up on birthday get togethers, etc, several times. We always take them sailing.
mbianka likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

There can be many reasons for not leaving the dock. From works in progress to just not finding it worth the effort for a small return of enjoyment. Everyone has different priorities in their lives when it comes to owning a sailboat, and it's not for me to tell them what they should be.

For now, I don't go out. After stopping to work, there are projects to be completed, a kitty to finish rebuilding, and the simple matter of convenience in being dockside to accomplish those goals. There are a number of people at this marina also in "preparation mode" that don't go out just to sail for an afternoon. But when they, like myself, do leave, we'll be sailing daily, not just for an afternoon.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

In season, I actually like to sail to an anchorage and do boat chores at anchor. I know I'm very fortunate to have a 110v power with the genset, etc. I get to sail a bit and work a bit. As long as I don't need to be ashore for a part or tool or need the dock, I actually prefer to work offshore. In the marina, someone will always stop to talk and interrupt. It's nice to have friends, but boaters like talking boats and when you have something apart, its a conversation magnet.

The only projects I won't do offshore are those that would threaten my ability to return, if something went wrong.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Late to the conversation here, but I also rarely (almost never) go out sailing just to go sailing. When we're in prep mode we can sit at the dock for weeks at a time. When we finally leave the dock we leave for, at absolute minimum, a few days. Usually it's more like weeks or months.

Perhaps it's the difference between being focused on cruising vs sailing. Don't get me wrong. I like sailing. There's nothing finer than a 15 knot beam reach over a calm sea. When the diesel goes off and the sails go up I'm happy. But I can find the same joy paddling my canoe or just watching the sunrise over Thunder Cape.

I love my sailboat for what it enables me to do; freedom, adventure, learning, cessation, being creative. The actual sailing is just an entirely desirable way to do all this.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:59 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
Interesting that you put so much thought into this . I have an old guy here on my dock who does the same thing , meaning spending time worrying over what others do or don't do, & making judgements on what others do & don't do , when it has absolutely zero impact on his life & is absolutely none of his business .
That's a reasonable sentiment, of course, but there are places where it might be understandable if not everyone agrees...

San Francisco Bay is one of the first that comes to mind... Finding marina slips in places like Sausalito and Tiburon can be very difficult, often involving lengthy waiting lists, and so on... Coupled with the issue of derelict boats in locales like Richardson Bay, the problem of some folks 'squatting' in marinas on boats that never move has come to the fore in recent years...

One of the solutions proposed (not sure of the current state of affairs or whether it's been implemented yet) is that every boat must 'demonstrate' on an annual or seasonal basis, its ability to leave the marina under its own power... Seems reasonable enough to me, as I take the view that marinas in regions where dock space is so precious really should be geared towards those who actually SAIL their boats, as opposed to being parking lots for boats that never move... But, perhaps that's just me... :-)

But, I know if I was sitting on a waiting list for a mooring year after year in, for example, a crowded New England harbor - and saw certain boats sitting out there that rarely/never moved, or were even visited, well... I just might begin to lose my patience with that whole "live and let live" thing...

:-))
T37Chef and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.