Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Liveaborders that never leave the slip? I don't get it. Help!

I've noticed in my area, the summer liveaboard boaters just never leave the slip unless they need to pump out the head and refill the freshwater tanks, then it is right back to the slip - no afternoon sail, nothing... I've watched more than a dozen beautiful boats sit with furled and flaked sails for 4 months, and the owners just sit on the boat, using the dock lines more than the anchor line.

I'm afraid that if I go on my cruise across the Gulf, I'll catch this strange bug and never leave a slip once I get in a port somewhere. I like sailing a lot and I wouldn't want to treat my boat like a floating flat, and not use it like it was intended.

The problem I see is two things, I have friends at our local airport who we all share a hangar with. They RARELY fly the planes, which is something they are made to do, not sit in a hangar and collect "rash". I think it is a shame to not fly them, and the planes just create a huge financial hole with maintenance on something that never got used, but the inspections came due anyhow. The second is that "new toy syndrome" where after the new feeling wears off, it looses the fun factor, and people tend to not use things ever again.

So what makes guys never leave the slip? Why don't they just go sail for a day after work? Sailing to me is like playing the piano - I can have a hard day and then relax by letting the music help me vent.

Is this a case of too much money and new toy syndrome gone bad, or something else I have not heard about yet?

Perhaps this is one of my noob questions, but curious minds want to know - even my wife and Dad don't understand. I don't want to be one of "those guys" where the members of the club are standing on the pier getting ready to leave for a group sail and talking about me, "No, don't ask them to come along, they never leave the slip." I'd always want to be one of the guys out there in the bi-weekly races, fun-meets, raftings, bbqs..... well you get the idea... how does this happen to these poor souls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There's as many different reasons are there are people. Everything from just want to be AT the water, to cheap waterfront property. You don't become one of THOSE, unless you choose to, any more than you become the drunk that's always at the end of the bar.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Ah ok, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. I try really hard to not be the guy who will die from sloth; maybe I can keep up the good fight!
Old 09-08-2007
I'm the FNG still...

PB - love that blog too, thought I would let you know. I read it the other night, as you're taking that same route I am planning.

I will be sure to drop you a note when I get to the area.
Old 09-08-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I was told by a yacht broker in San Diego that a large percentage of their customers from inland areas ajoining California, buy boats that they never intend to use as boats because it's an affordable alternative to a condo on the coast.

Waste of a boat but makes good economic sense.
Group9 likes this.
Old 09-20-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Hi Lancer, I noticed that myself. Then it happened to a buddy of mine . He bought a Catalina 27ft er in Baltimore MD and cruised it down the ICW to Palm Beach along the way he collected a lifetimes worth of stories . Engine failure . Storms on the Chessapeke . Long waits for parts on Durfuskie Island with crazy locals adopting him . Hunkering down at Beaufort NC to let huricanes pass by. He had many many more tales to tell from his trip . Then something happened to him. He got to Florida got his wee boat a slip at Riveira Beach Marina and never sailed it ever again. He sold it some 4 or 5 months later . I dont know what the deal was , but his sailing days were over . I guess he just had all the adventure he could take and that was that. Sad really , I hope that never happens to me.
Old 09-20-2007
On Blocks

Bermuda30 is on a distinguished road
My father is an avid powerboater (yea, i know, but it got me to love the water!). When he bought a house in NC and moved the boat from the marina in VA, all he heard was "You'll never use your boat if it's behind your house!" (There are canals behind the houses in his community). Been there for almost two years now, cracked a head on one (of the two) engine, and STILL takes the boat out at least twice a week! The same crowd back at the marina has taken precisely one venture out of their slips since that time. Sad...

Last edited by Bermuda30; 09-20-2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Whoops...
Old 09-20-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
From what I've seen. For a liveaboard to get underway it could take a couple of days to get things put away or secured for sailing. not mention the cable tv, the electric, the water connections. On the other hand it's really not my business why people do what they do. I'm sure there are people that think me getting a sailboat this late in life is odd.

My boat is for sale.

Old 09-20-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
Theres no such thing as "This late in life". When you get to a certain age are you supposed to just sit and watch "The price is right". I don't think so. Ignore what other people think and get out there.

When you get so old that you only have one last push on the tiller aim it out to sea and die a happy person.

The idea is to die young as late as possible. ~Ashley Montagu
Old 09-20-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewell6 View Post

The idea is to die young as late as possible. ~Ashley Montagu
I LOVE this line! May I use it for my sig?

Re liveaboards not leaving the dock, it may just be that you don't see it. Our boat-neighbors who come to the marina every weekend generally see us in our slip. Why should we go out and 'play in traffic' when everyone and thier brother is out on the Bay on a Saturday afternoon? Since we're on the boat every day, we have the luxury of doing our sailing when we have the place to ourselves - say, on a Tuesday evening. That is, if we can get our stuff stowed before dark, as Denise so rightly points out.
davidpm likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.