SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The cost of living aboard in the South of France.

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Hello, I am trying to determine what it would cost to live aboard, food only for one person in the south of France per week. I would also appreciate if the cost of the following could be e-mailed to me --Loaf of bread-- 2Litres of milk-- 1.5 litres of coke-- 1 kilo of steak-- 1kilo of fish-- 500grms of margarine-- 100pkt of tea bags-- 1 kg of yogurt-- ave price of a restaurant main meal-- cup of coffee-- glass of beer. Thankyou Email address is newtown1@hotmail.com

#2 ·
I can''t answer your question so specifically, but I can say that the prices for food were similar to the states except for any kind of meat, especially beef. We were in Canay, France and the surrounding area for a month last year while a friend was taking possession of his new sailboat.

We spent many trips to local stores to provision the boat for an Atlantic crossing so we spent lots of our US dollars there. Sorry I didn''t keep the prices, but I can tell you that the grocery stores are better stocked than ours and have great quality products to choose from. Also, the restaurant prices vary from the expensive to the cheap just like here.

One thing that was difficult to locate and expensive was a laundry. Actually every place we visited had expensive laundry facilities.

#4 ·
For current prices of groceries etc., try the web sites of the general supermarkets - E.Leclerc and Conforama - generally, smaller local stores will be say 10%-15% more expensive than these market leaders.
You might have to navigate through the rock-strewn channels of their very confusing websites....good luck with that....
.. I was down in the Med around Argeles sur Mer last week, prices were not especially cheap even out of season, and of course for the US you're going to have to factor in the $/€uro exchange rate - currently your $ is worth about 0.70Eurocents, so that'll be a $2 bagette you'll be enjoying with your morning cafe au lait.

cheers

Alex

#5 ·
I doubt that any of them much care, since their posts are SIX YEARS OLD. :) Please check dates before replying to a post, especially if it is to reply to the OP. Also, would highly recommend you read the post in my signature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.