Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Caribbean Liveaboard Costs

Let's say somone has a suitable liveaboard sailboat that's paid for. And let's say they want to live in the Caribbean, either on the hook or in a marina for an extended period (say ~3-5 years). I'd like to hear opinions about what sort of a minimum monthly budget you'd need to make this happen. I know there's a ton of variables, but give me some ballpark figures. I'm not talking about a liveaboard vacation, but rather living aboard as a way of life. Simple pleasures, simple needs. Living off the sea and the land as much as possible.

Have at it!
lautzy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on a lot of variables. The size of the boat is one major variable. The boat's ability to be self-sufficient is a second. A large boat with a water maker, solar panels and wind generator, may be able to stay out at anchor far longer than a boat without those abilities—making the costs of staying out lower in the long run. Staying in marinas will increase your costs quite a bit IMHO. A larger boat will have higher haulout and maintenance costs.

Also, where you're located in the Caribbean is going to affect your costs.

Without more information, I'd say it is almost impossible to give even a rough ballpark.
lautzy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-20-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Ok Dog, let's say it's a 35 foot vessel without a watermaker that uses an anchor or mooring rather than a marina. What's your ballpark minimum monthly budget?

Old 09-21-2007
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Here is the figures that I have stored from reading tons of cruisers logs:
Minimum list needs: $300-500 per month
Average cost for most sailors: $700-$1200 per month
Luxury cost: $2000 plus

Like previous post depends on what one can live on, beans and rice everyday vs eating out 3-5 days a week. What those figures above don't consider is boat maintenance. As they say owning a cruising boat is fixing it in exotic places. The more toys on the boat the higher the cost. Can you fix the boat yourself vs having a mechanic fix it will greatly increase cost. Also health insurance is not in that cost either. Too many variables there. Inaddition, one of the biggest cost can be cruising permits,
As of 1 July 2003 the costs of a cruising permit for the Bahamas have risen. The new charges are as follows: - $150 for all vessels under 35 feet - $300 for vessels over 35 feet. - $150 for dinghys/tenders over 18 feet. Fiji, $1500 plus bond or plane ticket.

Last edited by Melrna; 09-21-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
When did Fiji move to the caribbean???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-21-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
here's an article on the subject...
Calculating the Cost of Cruising

Hope this helps....
Old 09-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Once you are at anchor in the Caribe, all you really need to do is eat and do laundry which costs about double what it does here in the states. You can do passive stuff for electrical needs when you outfit your boat. So...you can get by really cheaply.
On the other hand, most people don't do that and Melrna's #'s look reasonable except you CAN go higher in the pricier areas, staying in marinas and paying very high prices for electricity.
A lot depends on how you live and what your other expenses are. Health Insurance, Boat Insurance, boat repairs etc.
If you are on the move, you need to account for customs/immigration fees and fuel for boat and dinghy.
Old 09-21-2007
Telstar 28

I'd say, figure on about $6-8000 per year for "room & board". This doesn't include things like insurance, repairs, or maintenance-related costs—just keeping the boat there and eating. Also, it assumes that you've made some provision for charging the batteries that doesn't involve running your engine or a generator—either solar, wind or both. It also assumes that you're not staying in a marina most of the time and not bar hopping every night.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-21-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would also have an emergency fund of at least $3000.00 to $5000.00 to help cover any surprise repairs or maintenance issues that may pop up.
Old 09-21-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I would also have an emergency fund of at least $3000.00 to $5000.00 to help cover any surprise repairs or maintenance issues that may pop up.
Not to mention hurricane layup or medical evacuation.

Telstar 28
New England