Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Couple of things. I expected a "suck it up" reply, and to the heartless bastard who offered it, here's hoping you catch your wife in bed with a jockey named Osama.

For the dude who likes my writing style, I wish he would tell those illiterate baboons in New York.

As to the insurance, up here in igloo land we pay and the insurance co pays. SOP. The deductable is 1% - 1 grand. The rest is fixing old, screwy repairs done in the past by a yard specializing in yacht repairs and coffins. Run by a one-eyed Russian on the lam from the Stalingrad mob.

The damage was a prop wrap that bent the shaft, and made the engine jump so that the shaft log snapped. 10 big ones, and I'm not talking aroused dwarves and a foxy stripper named Snow White either. Wait, wasn't that seven dwarves? Sneezy, Happy, Horny...ahhh WTF.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad except for the sprung raw water pump when we first put her in the water. Said rebuilt pump rebuilt three more times. And the windlass and alternator that blew on her maiden voyage. Both depthsounders going, the leaking propane system that suddenly needed replacing, the new Dickenson furnace that broke down, the new tankwatch system, ALL the engine gauges, fuel tank sender and gauge, the mainsail repair, etc, etc etc.

Like I said we owned this boat only a couple of months, and none of this was on the survey. I expected $$$ for upgrades as we went along, not $$$$$$$ from bad luck.

Somebody said write for money. Hah. I'd sell my ass but you can't afford me.

I'm starting to suspect that my wife is buggering things up while I'm asleep, and a pox on those of you with dirty minds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I don't think anyone is really telling you to suck it up. Where all on your side here, wish you the best. I can't speak for anyone else, but I replied to say don't give up your dream, even if you will need to adjust it a little.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-06-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear about it HoffaLives.

I didn't see where someone told you to suck it up, I even went back and reread everyone's post and didn't see it ? Anyway, I don't think anyone is being like that, accidents happen, could happen to any one of us.

As for the lifestyle, no helpful words there. All I can say for myself is that I've tried to keep the boat costs down so that my boat never becomes something too precious to use. Sure, I like looking at all the spit and polish on other people's boats, but that's just not for me. If I had a really nice boat all i would do is sit around worrying about it all the time.

It's so easy to spend money on boats. I mean I went into it thinking it would basically be a hull with sails on it, and a rudder, and I was very serious about keeping costs down and only buying necessities. But I've been seduced into solar panels and some of the rest too. It's easy to spend that few hundred here, few hundred there, and before you know it she's precious.

Hope it all works out for you soon.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-06-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Hoffa, I think you're being tested, fight though it and you will be rewarded, hell if you look hard enough you may see the rewards staring you in the face right now, you're just too pissed off to see them ( and I can understand why ), you just need to step back, take a deep breath, and let Neptune know you've got the stones and he ain't going to beat you before you get started, he will reward you in the end.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-06-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Whatever you do now....afterwards, FIND A BETTER INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!

Until then, percevier and conquer by outlasting the competition.
Old 10-06-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Hey Hoffa, I've been re-reading this thread and sure hope that my post wasn't mis-read as the "suck-it-up" thread. I can see where it might be.

If so, I apologize, not what I intended at all!

If anything, I commiserate, having been in a similar situation with a boat for which my livleyhood (sp?) depended upon.

I agree with just about everybody else, don't do anything rash. Go out and put on a good bender, cry the hurt and disappointment out of your system; then when the fog lifts sit back and reassess.

Maybe your first reaction is right. Maybe the dream really isn't for you; but it would be a shame to come to that conclusion in reaction.

Maybe this IS a test? How is the other half reacting?

And by the way, your writing style IS a hoot. Maybe THAT is the good thing to come out of all of this. The whole "suffering artist" deal?

Best of luck with whatever you decide, in any case.

Fred
Old 10-06-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
If this is just a rant, rant away.

However, if this is really this big of a set back, maybe you do need to reevaluate. Boats are certainly expensive.

That said, the most expensive year is often the first one. I too bought a boat this year and I had more in it than the purchase price in less than 4 months. With luck, I won't have to put so much into it in subsequent years.

Quote:
Like I said we owned this boat only a couple of months, and none of this was on the survey. I expected $$$ for upgrades as we went along, not $$$$$$$ from bad luck.
The way I see it, you can look at this two ways. First, expect bad luck (and good luck, too). Alternatively, if it aint broke, don't use it.

Personally, I would stick it out a lot longer than three months. You're going to have a learning curve, but there are some fine rewards to owning a nice boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2007
greybeard54

greybeard54 is on a distinguished road
I don't know what you normally write about, but I'm very interested in THIS story, and I am wanting more detail as to what happened, what it will take to fix it, where will you live while you boat is fixed, this looks like a 10 part article that SAIL or Cruising World would be interested in. I know I would be thinking a year's subscription to make sure I didn't miss an installment. I'm truly sorry about what happened to you and your home, I hope everything works out and I would be interested to read how it works out. Until today, I thought the only negative to running over a line was having to go under the boat and get it loose....I'm in shock.
Old 10-06-2007

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
well said

I have to agree with you Jeff, after spending the morning argueing with the wife over all the accumulated stuff thats upstairs,downstairs,in the garage and upstairs in the garage and out in the yard we loaded up a 6x12 Uhaul trailer and headed off to waste management by the # we spent $100 dollars to throw away some pretty good stuff and we have not even put a dent in it !
I am at the age where I know the inevitable is comeing and I dont want someone else having to clean up my mess when I die,been there done that dont want to put someone else threw it.
So I plan on getting it down to a managable slight some and living a simpler life sooner or later...most likly later but Im heading that way.

I need to start "living the dream"

CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Hoffa,

I feel your pain and all I can say is if you are in the Long Island Sound area you are more than welcome to sail with me.

My philosophy is to have little and end with a zero balance... come in with nothing and go out with nothing. Fortunately, I have no children to worry about... but not pleasure from them either.

I grew up in the burbs and knew I would not want to live there and deal with owning and maintaining... be a slave to property. Instead I have my little boat which if it survives me can be taken over by another sailor.

It's hard not to consume and acquire. Our society produces some fine stuff to own. But even my books I read and give away if they have no use. Let someone else use them.

I also have perfectly good stuff which has no value and I hate to put it in a dumpster. Things like a Loran. A friend who was a pilot died a few years back and before he did he gave me all sorts of pilot gear... which I have no use for. I just found a young man who wants to become a pilot so I gave him the lot. He was thrilled.

We are a wasteful lot and only in the last few years has this message even been heard. I hope you find the peace you deserve in your sunset.

Thankfully my boat is paid for and in good shape, and insured, but all it takes is one screw up and ... there but for the grace of god go I.

Fair winds

jef
sv shiva
Old 10-06-2007

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Bad attitude

Bob Bitchen put it best
the difference between an ordeal & an adventure is the attitude.
Read bad day/worst day (Bad Day/Worse Day...)
here is someone who's boat broke & he is happy about it because it saved his house (good attitude) s**t happens.