Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hoff,

In an attempt to make you feel slightly less down.......

We wanted to make a smallish modification to our rig. Rigger looked and promptly condemned the entire standing rigging due to corrosion in the swages apparently caused by the previous rigger using 304 swages with 316 wire. Second and third opinions all agreed with his assessment. $6.000 thank you very much which of course is not covered by any insurance unless the damn thing had actually collapsed while under sail.

Rigging work complete we went to cast off from riggers dock to go home and noticed oil coming out of the exhaust pipe. Still waiting for final confirmation of problem but it appears to be gearbox related. $?.??? . Watch this space.

Anchor windlass has been playing up. Thought it must just need a good service so removed from boat. Did not come out easily and once dismantled it has become obvious that the gearbox gaskets has gone and water had got into the gearbox. Choice of new windlass $2.500 or new gearbox $500 and a couple of days work on my part. Going for the cheap option.

So don't feel too bad cos none of that is covered by insurance.

What was that about cold showers and tearing up $100 bills ?

Then of course she's due for a haulout and antifouling and the topsides need re painting and with the new backstay arrangement and lazy jacks we are are going to be up for new bimini cover and sailcover.

Cheers mate.

ďGive a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.Ē Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
At least you are on your boat Hoffa. Just found out that my bid to sell the house and take the next step to move aboard has been shut down. We gave a little preview before listing the house and found that there is interest, but it is coming in way too low. Which in realtor speak means that the house is good, but the price is not. This all after I lowered the asking price a good 40k from what the comps sold for last year. Drop down another 20k now, and its just not worth it, doesn't leave me enough equity to do much of anything. All I can say is thank god I don't HAVE to sell the house due to financial problems. Oh well, will have to start looking for another way, or just wait.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 10-09-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
This doesn't have much to do with your situation (Hoffa) because you are paying 1/3rd of the amount yourself, but I have to say this - if someone told me it was going to be 15k$us to fix something like that on my boat I'd have to tell them no. Now, mind you, I have absolutely NO idea what I would do after I told them no, but that wouldn't stop me. I'd just have to figure something else out.

Edit- Sorry to hear that bestfriend, that's a tough break. I hope you can stay positive, it'll work out somehow. It is pretty obvious from your writing that you are really enthusiastic and that you were looking forward to having it all come together, like I said, sorry to hear about the troubles.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-09-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-09-2007

Wannafish is on a distinguished road
"I suspect that the implied arrogance of "don't have what it takes" is unintentional, and to deprive others of their sadistic joy at the resulting blood fest, I'll spit out that bait and let it rot on the bottom like it deserves."

Anyone who can write like that must be a riot at a party! Sure hope I am lucky enough to meet you someday Hoffa, 'cause you got what it takes!

I hope that whatever way the wind takes you in the future you find yourself where you want to be.
Old 10-09-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, there's a lot here; not sure which tittie to tickle first. I'll guess I'll start with the party - no you don't 'cause I'll be the moody-looking sod sitting by himself in a corner wishing you all painful deaths 'cause you're all better looking and your ladies have perkier breasts.

As for "no one could have warned you that it was going to cost you 15 grand" (or something like that; I'm too lazy to hit the back button and find the quote), so much for rhetorical questions. Which pretty much puts the kibosh on irony, allegory, metaphor etc, etc. Not all the chitin is in the sea, it seems.

Most sailors have a hard time finding their testicles (see earlier thread) much less divine the future, so no, I didn't expect some old salt to come up and say to me, "You poor bastard, I hope you gots 15 grand in your pocket 'cause the Guy Above is ticked at the bobble-headed Jesus on yer dash and you got one coming."

The whole point to the thread (remember) is about coming to terms with the dichotomy of the myth vs the cold, cruel reality. I simply was not aware that it would be prudent to have an extra, oh, I don't know, say 40 grand lying around "just in case" on top of the boat cost, upgrade costs, insurance, mooring, monthly bills, etc, etc.
And I'm long past complaining; I've licked my wounds so long all I taste is scab anymore, and I'm about done. 'Sides, we found this great waterfront home that we are house sitting for free, while the boat is being fixed, and the ol' lady is mighty happy about the bath.

Finally, to the Aussie that just got burned to the tune of several grand, I really feel your pain, mate. If it were me I'd go out in a gale and let nature (and the insurance co.) run it's course. You could even help it along a bit with a hacksaw.
So not to diminish what you have going, but at least you had a choice to spend or not spend. Keep the rags off while you save, knowing that you got a whopper ahead of yourself. Just as I know that soon I'll need to rebuild my engine. It's the badly flaked rope leading to 15 grand that fills my heart with the enormous sense of injustice.
Old 10-09-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
hoffa,
Dude, burn one and chill out.
Your way over stressed. After all its just money and you can't take it with you. yea I know your going to hate me to. so at least I'm in good company. But at the rate your going your going to give yourself a heart attack quicker than Mickey D's will.

If you did any research on this site you would see Several people have stated in other posts buying a used boat expect 1/3 to be spent fixing it after you buy it.

thanks for your post one thing good i have learned from you, I'm trashing all my old lines, halyards, sheets (ropes to you) i was hoping to use for the rest of this season and buying new ones this weekend.
Old 10-09-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
After all this you just donít get it do you. A lot of people live on their boats and donít have the problems you have. You donít need money and you donít need to be the privileged class. You just need to work at it and learn to take care of things yourself. Nobody is going to do it for you unless you spend the big bucks. Then you do need to be rich. Get off the soapbox and roll up your sleeves and just fix the dam boat and quite complaining about making dumb mistakes. If you want to live in a box that doesnít sink then buy a house and be just like everyone else who has no gumption. As someone else already said you either have the right stuff or you donít.
Good luck either way and all the best,
Robert Gainer

A live aboard with no money since 1973 and wouldnít have it any other way.
Old 10-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
The whole point to the thread (remember) is about coming to terms with the dichotomy of the myth vs the cold, cruel reality. I simply was not aware that it would be prudent to have an extra, oh, I don't know, say 40 grand lying around "just in case" on top of the boat cost, upgrade costs, insurance, mooring, monthly bills, etc, etc.

My suggestion would be to stop concerning yourself with "myths" and "cold, cruel reality" and just focus on "reality."
Old 10-09-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Bigger be the boat, bigger be the expenses . . . no way around that scenario.
Old 10-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
TB,
So TrueBlue is tucked away for the winter? What are you going to do for the next twenty or so weekends?