Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Bestfriend
Don't feel all alone. I'm planning on the sell the house/buy a livaboard. I figure I'm down about $150,000 on my house over the last 2 years. I'm in Mich. and we've had a recession for about 3 years now.
I just watched a report yesterday on CNBC before the debate about people buying forclosed houses in Detroit for $2000. I think they overpaid!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
Let me echo what someone else suggested; if writing is what you do and you like boats, maybe you should write about boats. Boating publications are filled with a lot of mediocre writing. Yours certainly isn't. And I imagine these funny little rants just rolled off your keyboard.

I think we could use someone a bit more like Hunter S. Thompson or PJ O'rourke, you might be that guy.

dave
Old 10-10-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Zen seems to be about detachment. Sunny uh huh. Wet uh huh. Simple uh huh. Rich uh huh. $15,000 uh huh.
Old 10-10-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Fiberglass is far more workable for the moderately skilled than wood. All you need to fix fiberglass is more fiberglass (and resin).
I disagree. If you want a superficial repair, sure. But if you are repairing structural damage to components molded into a hull as part of enormous, overlapping sheets of glass and resin, you need to know what you are doing so that the strength of the hull, or the repair, is not compromised.

At the local composite training school in Sidney they give the students a piece of laminate to duplicate. They all have the same amount of glass and resin and they have to fabricate a piece that doesn't weigh anymore than the original. Then they test the student's work by dropping a lead fishing ball weight on it at increasing heights until it breaks.

The student's work might collapse at 3 feet or so. Then the instructor demonstrates his piece and it doesn't break until a drop of over 6 feet. Same materials, same weight. That's the skill you want when you do below waterline structural repairs.
Old 10-10-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
... maybe you should write about boats...

I think we could use someone a bit more like Hunter S. Thompson or PJ O'rourke, you might be that guy. dave
Damn, Dave, if I was gay I'd be asking for your number right about now. And BTW, I am writing about boats, though I'm not sure about my target audience. I got this unsettling feeling that most of these dudes are in a senior's home somewhere, drooling down their pajamas and typing with one finger on an oversized keyboard about a life and world they've only experienced in their imaginations.

And when a post gets fiesty its because the hot young (60-ish) nurse just walked by and they're thinking about their upcoming sponge bath.

And Hunter S. Thompson? Jaysus, Dave...
Old 10-10-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
I disagree. If you want a superficial repair, sure. But if you are repairing structural damage to components molded into a hull as part of enormous, overlapping sheets of glass and resin, you need to know what you are doing so that the strength of the hull, or the repair, is not compromised.

At the local composite training school in Sidney they give the students a piece of laminate to duplicate. They all have the same amount of glass and resin and they have to fabricate a piece that doesn't weigh anymore than the original. Then they test the student's work by dropping a lead fishing ball weight on it at increasing heights until it breaks.

The student's work might collapse at 3 feet or so. Then the instructor demonstrates his piece and it doesn't break until a drop of over 6 feet. Same materials, same weight. That's the skill you want when you do below waterline structural repairs.

I don't mean that it is necessarily easy, but it is a far easier medium to work and, of course, maintain than wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
You are not alone

Hoffa,

You are not alone in either the wanting to live on a boat, having sh** happen, or wanting more room departments. Check out http://weliveonaboat.com/index.html - This guy has started a family on a Alberg 30 in Toronto Canada Read the March 2006 archives to learn about how he delt with the damage caused by a tarp malfunction...

As for your specific situation; let us be clear, the prop wrap cost you about $10K, the additional $4K is to correct stuff that was done wrong in the first place. You could probably hack a lower cost fix yourself, but good for you in not going this route. This happened while you were motoring, not sailing. You would have been in the same situation on a trawler...

WindMagic got it right, the sea is a great teacher. I am willing to be that there will be no more unsecured lines on your boat.

Ed
Old 10-10-2007

bambam is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear of your woe's I took my nephew out for a sail his only job was to watch the lines, well since this is no video game I gess we have a real short attetion span. the pot side fairlead broke, I went to fire up what others call the Iorn jenny or to me now is the automatic line coiler. used catalina 27 $ 5k tow when I have family abord $40 sailing alone pricless!
Good Quote Sailingdog I have that DVD too one of my faves.
Fair winds
Old 10-10-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Hoffa

Man, that's gotta be expensive ... not doin' too well and probably can't even afford a decent meal ... why, ya just got no meat on yer bones.

If it's what you really want, you'll make it happen. If not, well you tried and owe no apologies. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-11-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Hoffa
The remarks I made about Not having what it takes might be a little harsh. But I live the Dream, and the problems that come along with that dream...And all is worth it... The Myth, Its real, and you have to find that balance point to find it for yourself.
The $15,000. you have to drop. I can understand it hurts.. thats a years kitty for me..
But after all the work and the pain you'll have to go through, one day you'll wake up and look out the port-hole as the sun rises, the morning fog lays over water in a mist, the water so smooth not a ripple to be found, and then a coupe of wild ducks fly in and coast to a stop next to your boat, a breeze now comes over the water and the ripples form and you can smell the hint of salt on the air. You wife comes up from behind and puts her arms around you and looks over your shoulder to share the morning sights, and your Gran-son comes up, tugs on your pants and asks his favorite gran-pa if they can go out fishin this morning.
Ya Hoffa, it all worth it........every last damn second you have to sweat you butt off fixin that boat.
Remember, you have to slay the dragon before you can kiss the Princess