Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Sigh ... Hallmark, right?

Randy, no offense intended, but Bob'll settle for the nakie honey on the foredeck ... with her come hither glances ... in the hot summer sun ... Sigh

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 10-11-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Like I said, you have to find your own, and Halmark it might be, but that was this morning.... we went out and caught a couple small-mouth...
and the funny thing is, what is to me, is my dream, and I live it.. My gran-son on the other hand, when we got back, he pulled out his Gameboy!
Old 10-11-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Sigh, grandkids ... doubt the Mate and I will ever see any ... as a result, we've had to learn to spoil ourselves which compensates our loss but, I suppose, only to a small degree.

In reality, the only reason we desire grandchildren is to see the look of consternation on our children's faces ... priceless.

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 10-11-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyonR3 View Post
But after all the work and the pain you'll have to go through, one day you'll wake up and look out the port-hole as the sun rises, the morning fog lays over water in a mist, the water so smooth not a ripple to be found, and then a coupe of wild ducks fly in and coast to a stop next to your boat,
I'm curious, are you allowed to eat those ?

Quote:
a breeze now comes over the water and the ripples form and you can smell the hint of salt on the air. You wife comes up from behind and puts her arms around you and looks over your shoulder to share the morning sights, and your Gran-son comes up, tugs on your pants and asks his favorite gran-pa if they can go out fishin this morning.
Nice post RandyonR3, I like hearing that it can all work out since I am trying to make it work out for myself and I am not there yet. It's good to hear people who are out there doing it say it was worth it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
You wife comes up from behind and puts her arms around you and looks over your shoulder to share the morning sights,
You had me until right about there.....

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-11-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Is it worth it?

Hoffa,
Nice thread. You got a good conversation going. Sorry that some haven't chose to focuse on your zen. Your problems, however, do sound like they are getting solved in a technical sense, but it also sounds like you are tiring of the cycle of money that your feeding the beast? The money issue keeps popping up as if you were misled into believing this was a inexpensive (and romatic) way to live in exchange for sacraficing the trappings of living ashore.

So, you've sacraficed and haven't found the promised land. If you feel like you walked into the liveaboard scene with different expectations ... so what? You're likely not alone. Don't forget you walked in when so many others only talked about it or merely dreamed it for fear that talking about it would be too risky. Go ahead and be demotivated, you earned it. No one is obligated to stay the course, nor is one obligated to leave. You're question seems to be whether or not its all worth it? The answer is "no" and "yes." The question seems easy, but only you can pick the context that changes the answer.

If you stay or if you go it can only be your choice, you won't find a consensus here. Just be proud that you lived and learned, and that you're not yet waiting for aliens to abduct you from you boat.

Fair Winds...
Shack
Old 10-11-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Quote:
........every last damn second you have to sweat you butt off fixin that boat.
Remember, you have to slay the dragon before you can kiss the Princess

Invite the dragon and the princess for a threesome. Really, it simplifies life no end.

Last edited by Sasha_V; 10-11-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I wanna drug the dragon and sneak a quickie with the princess' daughter. And here's where the can of gas and enema hose rears it's head again.

But that's where the fantasy ends-in a big pissed-off dragon fireball.

I still think that most of it is a myth. I'm reminded of those middle-aged guys who buy themselves a $35,000.00 Harley and make a bloody racket all summer long, pretending to be rebels. Easy Rider is the fantasy, big payments and tied to a job and wife and the house in the suburbs is the reality.

I don't believe it has to be a myth; I just don't think I've found the way to make it real. I'll probably know after it's done.

Quote:
Hoffa

But after all the work and the pain you'll have to go through, one day you'll wake up and look out the port-hole as the sun rises, the morning fog lays over water in a mist, the water so smooth not a ripple to be found, and then a coupe of wild ducks fly in and coast to a stop next to your boat, a breeze now comes over the water and the ripples form and you can smell the hint of salt on the air. You wife comes up from behind and puts her arms around you and looks over your shoulder to share the morning sights, and your Gran-son comes up, tugs on your pants and asks his favorite gran-pa if they can go out fishin this morning.
This I get. The thing is you don't have to have much to experience it. You don't need a $100,000.00 boat or 50 grand in the bank, or new lifelines or...

Last edited by HoffaLives; 10-11-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2007

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
Hoffa, sorry for your grief. You bring a good dose of reality to the discussion of "living the dream". It reminds me that although these forums are a great source of information, inspiration, and camraderie, I have to really figure out for me what MY dream is and what it's going to take for ME to get there. Things still go wrong in "dreamland". I may be getting rid of my house-home with the woes of repairs and maintenance, but I'm getting a boat-home with it's own r & M woes. And in an enviroment that is less convenient making the r & m more urgent at times. So here you are experiencing all the angst of buying the boat, making the move, forking out $$ hand over fist for the refit and then you get hit with an unexpected repair, can't blame you for questioning whether it's worth it or not. It made me stop and ask myself how I would feel in the same situation. I keep coming back to the fact that I'm happiest when I'm on the water, it feels more like home. The thing I personally have to watch out for is when I catch myself thinking "I'll be happy when........." If I'm not happy here, I won't be happy there. I can see the potential for many to look to the liveaboard life as an escape because our time onboard before the move is our getaway time. When we move aboard, life moves aboard with us. Thanks for making me think Hoffa. I think.....
Old 10-12-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Yeah, and time to move forward. This came in a dream last night. No Sh*t.

Grieve not too long at the ashes of the past
for while you linger there in sorrow
the future is busy at your tomb

How's that for an internal kick in the ass?

My wife and I decided to not make any decision until we have done this for a year, so we have several more months to go.
Now I just need to make some more dough to pay off this debacle.