Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I think I've been snookered

'Cause I bought the myth of simple life aboard. I'm seriously thinking of selling my beloved CS 36T, which I've owned a paltry three months.
So here's the sob story. I'm a writer, and the more junk/trouble/money problems in my life, the less art/love/time for what's really important. So after fulfilling my biological imperative, we pushed the kids out, sold the whopper of a headache house, and paid off four-fifths of debts. Compared to the rest of 99% of our compatriots we are well off, living downtown with a lovely waterfront view with minimal expenses.

I thought I had found my dream.

And then that damn rope slipped off the bow. Nothing stupid like running onto rocks or blowing up the engine or anything like that, just a poorly flaked length of rope slithering off unnoticed in a chop.

After all the dust clears, even with insurance, it looks like we could have as much as 4 grand worth of stuff we will have to pay for, as we found previous crummy repairs that need to be set right. The insured portion could be in the range of 10 grand.

Just a f***** rope.

We have to come up with the ten grand, and then submit receipts to the insurance company. Could take a few weeks to a month to see a cheque.

So at this point we have to provide 15 thousand dollars to take care of a prop wrap. If I had run her aground (like the other CS 36T in the yard) what would I have to come up with then? $40,000.00? $50,000.00?

And I haven't even begun on the part of where the hell do you live while your home is pulled apart for 6 weeks?.

I'm not sure about those who follow this forum, but I'm not a retired boomer with a quarter million in his bank account to draw on when hell breaks loose. We are not impoverished by any means, and I've had a few previous boats and know they cost money, but this is insane. I left the heritage house behind because I was sick of the bills, and the sheer cost of living in the suburbs. But I've never been handed a bill for 15 grand before, not even anywhere close.

So where's the simple life in that?

I love sailing and I'll always own some kind of sailboat, but now I'm thinking do I even want to take this boat out again (when it's finally fixed) if an easy afternoon sail can set you back 15 grand or possibly much more? I don't know how people do it. No offense intended, but are most of us well-off folks pretending to be hippies or what?

I'm seriously thinking of selling this and buying and converting an old wooden troller or tug, and just leaving it tied up 99% of the time. Calming my sailing demons with a dinghy or small sloop.

Thoreau had it right when he said that most men lead lives of quiet desperation, and go to their graves with their song still in them. I'll be damned if that's gonna be me. I know what I want, and I'm afraid I haven't found it.

Maybe I'm not looking at it right (a definite possibility), but if so, I would sure like someone to show me how I've got it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But don't throw in the towel yet.....

I won't rub salt about boats being expensive, you know that and make it clear that you knew that before you made the leap.

I don't have any great wisdom to add; just wanted to send you a "chin-up"

Fred
Old 10-05-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
How is this different from rear ending an SUV into a BMW sports car? I feel for your situation, but in my world, cars are more expensive than boats in many situations.

At least a CS36T is a decent boat worth repairing...small comfort, maybe, but there it is.
Old 10-05-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I know it's of no conciliation to your blues, but I think your writing style is a hoot.
Old 10-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hoff...you gotta work out what feels best for yourself, but the "cheap" liveaboard life costs about double what you think it will because stuff happens.
BTW...you have a whack insurance co. or adjuster. The normal procedure is to get an estimate in writing and the insurance company approves and pays the yard directly in scheduled payments...generally 1/3 to start...etc.
There is no reason for you to be out of pocket anything but your deductible and whatever work is not covered by your policy.

Now get back to writin' and quitcher whinin'!! You need to make some bread!!(g)
Old 10-05-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I'm lost, you had a dockline go OB and caused 15G's in damage ??, WTF happened ?? foul the prop and fired the motor ??

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-05-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
Hoffa,

I feel your pain and all I can say is if you are in the Long Island Sound area you are more than welcome to sail with me.

My philosophy is to have little and end with a zero balance... come in with nothing and go out with nothing. Fortunately, I have no children to worry about... but not pleasure from them either.

I grew up in the burbs and knew I would not want to live there and deal with owning and maintaining... be a slave to property. Instead I have my little boat which if it survives me can be taken over by another sailor.

It's hard not to consume and acquire. Our society produces some fine stuff to own. But even my books I read and give away if they have no use. Let someone else use them.

I also have perfectly good stuff which has no value and I hate to put it in a dumpster. Things like a Loran. A friend who was a pilot died a few years back and before he did he gave me all sorts of pilot gear... which I have no use for. I just found a young man who wants to become a pilot so I gave him the lot. He was thrilled.

We are a wasteful lot and only in the last few years has this message even been heard. I hope you find the peace you deserve in your sunset.

Thankfully my boat is paid for and in good shape, and insured, but all it takes is one screw up and ... there but for the grace of god go I.

Fair winds

jef
sv shiva
Old 10-05-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear that Hoffa. I go through life learning lots of things by mistake. Luckily, I saw a buddy of mine tie all the lines to the pulpits when we went out one time. I said,"oh, I get it". But I am sure I will learn something else the hard and expensive way. It happens to everyone, and for the people it doesn't happen to, well they are just too uptight to be any fun. If you remember awhile back, I learned a docking lesson to the tune of several grand.
You could be right, maybe a tug or a ferry with a dinghy is the way to go, but right now don't do anything. Just fix what you've got, you've invested too much on a good plan to just change it all after a few months. You will lose way too much money. If you fix things, then decide on a clear head that its not right, then you can still do it. Rent a room while its getting fixed, treat yourself, have fun and enjoy it, or go on vacation.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... what insurance do you have that you've got a $4,000 deductible on a boat that is probably worth $80,000 on the outside. Most yatch policies I know of have a 1% or 1.5% deductible, not 5%. Also, is yours a liveaboard specific policy. Some of the liveaboards I know have a policy that pays for temporary housing if they're forced off the boat due to making covered repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2007

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
You've gotten lots of good and sound counsel regarding boats and insurance from the others. I'll take another course.

Don't do anything quickly or rashly. Everything seems worst sooner and better later. Doing nothing costs nothing. After a bit of time emotions will settle and cognitive thought will take over.

Don't throw away the dream because of a bad episode. You have taken a bold move in trying to live the dream. Stay the course and give the dream a chance to blossom.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.