Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
I am one that wants to leave and go cruising.
I know it is more expensive than I think even though I know how much it will cost me. I can fix things metal, wood, oily, electrical, soft and hard. Maybe not everything but I would try it first.
I know I do not have enough money to not come back unless I want to.
So I am going to work a little longer.
I don't know about selling the house........Rent? Mostly because of the wife I guess.......security you know. I could probably live in a slide-in camper but could I afford the nightly KOA fee? Probably not.
I like the idea of a boat at anchor.
I have never spent more than 10 days aboard a 32 footer.
How do I know if I could spend a year?
Chartering is not a way to tell. There would be no "ownership" feeling and not enough time to tell.
Just living on a boat has no interest to me. Neither does sailing out of Tampa Bay and then having to come right back.
I don't want to have to come back if I don't want to.
So I am going to work a little longer.

As far as working to keep up the money.
I don't want to but I guess I could.

The only other things that scare me are:

In-laws that will age more and become ill.
Kids in college that can't come home to Mama for a hug.
How to easily keep track of taxes licenses and other mail...not withstanding those mail forwarders.
Paying bills.
And OMG, to insure or not to insure for that is 50% of the money question.

I do feel the "dream" is being sold at a premium but electronics are here to stay and be improved upon.
Those with little of it are fine by me. I think the trouble people have is deciding which decade they want to step back to and feel "safe" with their safety stuff.
eg; all lines led to cockpit so one does not have to go on deck is thought of as unsafe (and un-seaman like?) today. Hell, the Cheoy Lee had hank on jibs for cryin out loud, and winches on the mast for kripes sake.
How far back do you (or are you willing to go?) want to go?

See this thread is very thought provoking which stimulated me to jump all around inside my head.

Will I really like it?

And that little tiny toilet seat thing.
I am used to a bigger one...........Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Don't mean to pester you with questions, but I gather qoqIbob's boat has a steel hull? qoqIbob must be looking forward to some serious passagemaking...
Aye, steel ... have built three boats in the past of wood and glass ... love working with wood but still itchin' over the glass ...

According to Conan, ... He will ask me, What is the riddle of steel?, and if I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla. Bob wants ta go dere mit dem tin titted blondies, so steel it is.

Reality Check, yer a corker indeed trick is selecting a low hydrogen fiberglass rod, and make certain ya got a really good ground
Old 10-12-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
Will I really like it?
therapy23, your post really says something to me, because I was in a very similar situation as far as not knowing what to expect. I haven't spent much time on a boat all at once. I spent about a month in a row once, about 30 days. I was really surprised how quickly I took to it to be honest.

I thought I was going to be cramped, but that wasn't the case. I seemed to spend a lot of time on deck just standing there holding on the rigging look around, and sometimes I would lay in the cockpit, and most of the rest of the time I was sitting in the cabin at the little table. This all on a 26 footer, there wasn't a lot of room, but I was comfortable.

I also thought I would be bored. But I wasn't, there always seemed to be something to do, and if I did get bored I'd just cook something to eat, or read, or whatever, mess around on the computer or something.

In fact I was surprised to find that I was not only willing, but almost excited to do chores on the boat I would never want to do at home. Even laundry was kind of entertaining. Sometimes I'd just sit there and wash parts of the boat, I'd never do something like that at home "just because".

One thing I hear people say is that if your life isn't good on land it isn't going to get any better on the water, I don't think will be true for me when I am full time on the boat. The boat is a lot smaller than where I live, there isn't as much of it, and I can't have nearly as much junk on it. It's just by it's very nature smaller. The systems aren't anything new to me - I fix my truck, so I imagine I can learn to fix a boat motor. I have solar panels on the house, nothing new there. I don't have television or anything at the house, nothing new there. I already have amateur radios and things at the house, nothing new there. I guess I might miss having a telephone. I live in the country so I am used to hauling my own trash to the dump and things, nothing new there. I already cook for myself. I don't know, I just really think I'll do okay on a boat when I move on to it.

I do worry too about my family. My relatives and close family are used to having me around, and it will be a lot different not seeing them all of the time. I worry for them and me both in that regard.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Sailhog's analysis: qoqIbob has got his **** together. The evidence is very limited due to qoqIbob's unique prose style, but the evidence IS VERY GOOD. Sailhog is an earthly creature with pig-hair antenna growing out of his forehead... but he knows, and he has great respect for qoqIbob. Sailhog believes neither the Almighty nor Conan would remove qoqIbob from Valhalla, as they would see no reason to do so. They would let him stay and commisserate with the tin-titted blondies until he had had his fill. For that is qoqIbob's wish...
Old 10-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Here's one for the Bobster:
Old 10-13-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
The number of things to be afraid of is endless. Let them go. You will find others. Let them go too.

Having said that, if there is a woman involved, it will cost you. Read the phoofy lady thread. Guys seem willing to go hard and simple in a way that a dame never would - that is until their women housebreak them, emphasis on the word "break"
Not that many years ago the bottom fell outta my life so I sold everything, quit the job and traveled across country for 6 months living in a 1991 Acura intengra hatchback. A sleeping bag, camp stove, flashlight, small cooler and beer was all I needed, and had an incredible time. Would the wife have done that? Now way. Which is why my lifestyle costs so much more than what I dreamed. Most guys could live on a 10 grand 27-footer. Throw in woman and the length will go up at least ten feet and the cost goes up by a factor of ten. It's just the payoff for that warm body beside you at night.

I think the life on water can be transformative. As long as you can do it on your own terms and do what you need to do. If your life is a form of indentured servitude on land due to responsibilities to others, that won't change by living on the water.
Old 10-13-2007

Yeah Cam, like that! Mak'um Bob's loins ache she does.

Aye, steel!

Once giants lived in the earth, Conan.
And in the darkness of chaos they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel.
Crom was angered, and he was shook, and fire and wind struck down these giants and they threw their bodies into the waters.
But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it are just men.
Not gods, not giants, just men.
The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle Conan. You must learn its discipline, for no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts.
This you can trust!

Actually hog, Bob wishes to go where people seldom sail, and most of the hands are held out in friendship rather than for payment ... to places far and strange ... so the ability to repair in primitive locales has some advantage ... cut from here, weld over there ... steel.

Less frequented ports and anchorages are not well charted, if they're charted at all, and therefore a wee bit more hazardous to visit. Bob intends to exercise caution, however, one never knows ... steel ... ah, something to handle ice would be nice ...

The ability to rely upon Valiente's ramming hammer ... priceless ...

Self building, ya get what ya want ...

Bob KNOWS everything is sandblasted to white ...
Bob KNOWS every weld is perfect ...
Bob KNOWS the builder didn't fudge just to save a buck ...
Bob selects only the best and only what he needs. No flash, no fluff ...

No teak and holly sole ... is fiberglass grate with really wild throw rug ... ya can see what's goin' on down there and ventilation is superb ... no hidyholes for the roaches and rats ...

Bob's got an engine room and can actually sit comfortably on his butt and accomplish whatever maintenance is necessary ...

The head is in the engine room so Bob can sit, contemplate, and give everything the once over ... several times a day ...

All pumps and plumbing are visible ... Bob finds beauty in mechanics, their form and function ... access and ability to inspect often and at a glance more important than than out of sight, out of mind behind some expensive and fancy cabinetry ...

Ballast is custom cast by Bob in 50lb ingots to fit the hollow keel ... the compartment can be opened for inspection and if necessary all ballast can be removed to lighten ship by four tons ... take out, pile on uncharted reef, kedge off, row back and forth 80 times ... shoot, Bob'll be done before seatow can calculate the charges!

Hand holds everywhere ... steel pipe and padded ... all corners rounded and padded ...

Oh, hell, lots more ...

She's gonna be a a big fat slow Wagnerian steel bitch, but she'll get Bob there and back ... Resale value? Not for sale. When Bob slips the final anchor, All his boats are to be given away ... to deserving sailors who love the sea and think just a little bit, well, cockeyed ...
Old 10-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
So your post is screaming out for pictures. Just to show I understand where you're coming from, here's our Steel Dream last May, the day before launch, rigged and ready and freshly primed and anti-fouled on her hull. Can coral get nervous?

Old 10-13-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
qoqIbob - what the heck you sailin'? A submarine?

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-14-2007

Val, Beauty eh! Love the pipe rails!

BF, Naw, but in her grey primer, she does look a bit military and ya know, I kinda like that ... business like ... mind you, I'd love another pretty boat but damn, a pretty boat is like a pretty woman, it takes so much time to get 'em ready to go anywhere ... 'spose it's a maintenance issue.

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 10-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.