Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
The big one for me has been getting rid of stuff. I throw my girlfriend's things away and she does not even know they are gone. Thats how much crap she has. There is no way she and I could live on a boat together. The way her brain works does not make her a good live aboard. When I bought my house, it came with a Bosch dishwasher, supposed to be the best, right? I have to rinse off all the dishes before, or they won't get clean. For another few seconds and some soap, I could wash them all by hand. Its amazing how many more dishes you acquire and use when you have a dishwasher.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Of course it's up to everyone to find their place in the continuum, but what I'm working at here is the myth vs the reality, and as I already knew before I started this adventure, you can't buy a dream. Not a real one. But illusions fill the market.
The myth is seductive and promises a lot, but like all romantic aspirations, it is a combination of the dreamer's existential yearning with a heavy dose of greed - inspired opportunism by the yachting industry. What I mean is that there is an economic imperative to maintaining the myth; a lot of dudes make a lot of dough off of us dreamers.

I can't quote the source anymore, but I remember a study that examined traditional cultures and liesure time. Generally the guys sat around all day until they got hungry, then they headed into the bush and knocked something on the head. They dragged it back to the girls and spent the rest of the day bragging about it. The girls sat in these big circles talking about who was cheating on who, who's getting married and so forth. They did most of the work, BTW.
Everything was social and most of the day was spent sitting around talking, scratching oneself, and pondering the mysteries of the Gods. Liesure time was and is a much greater component of traditional societies.
Humans evolved with a way of interacting with the world and each other over hundreds and thousands of years. Compared to that industrial society is a gnat's fart in a hurricane, and I don't trust it.

The myth talks about getting closer to that essential way of being, and reality is turning out to be different, at least the way I've gone about it.
Old 10-08-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Very true about the "escape business". There's a lot of $ being made selling the idea of "getting away from it all" ("father Jimmy" thanks all us suckers for our donations). A sailboat (especially one big enough to live on) is a complicated piece (bunch of pieces) of equipment. It's not simple, nor is it easy. And what exactly do we want to get away from? As BF said (or implied) flush toilets are nice, dry clothes are nice; what's so great about salt crusted in your crotch for days at a time? Only Sailhog would honestly enjoy that! I hope you're not regretting your moving aboard because of some unexpected expenses (cuz I doubt it'll get any better on that count). Hang in there, weather this storm, then weather some more storms. That's what it's all about anyway, isn't it?

{HoffaL - after much retyping this post still reads like I'm dumping on you, please believe that that is not my intent.}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 10-08-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
You probably know as well as the rest of us that "essential way of being" is a state of mind, not place and possessions. It does help to get rid of all your stuff and simplify. I don't think grasshopper would have been able to snatch the pebble from the master's hands if they were in the middle of NYC. When stuff like ramming your boat into the dock or tangling a line in the prop doesn't bother you anymore, then you have reached the essential way of being.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-08-2007

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Good job Hoffa

Seems you have managed to inspire many people to take another look at the sailing life style, both the good & the bad. This may inspire some to return to shore and others to take on the challenge . Those that face their challenges are those that find the greatest rewards in the end.
Old 10-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
To put it it in simple terms, life is what you make of it. I can't count all the people I know, who on retiring, went out and got another job. They had no plan on what to do with their time or resources, so went back to the familar day to day grind.

There's no lack of myth to "living aboard", but, part of that is that different people have different expectations. Some find their's met, others don't. Those who make a go of it, I think, have a bit of the gypsy in them. A touch of wanderlust and adventure, to see what else there is over the horizon.

And, it's certainly not an escape from anything but a land based life.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-08-2007
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
First, a wonderful topic..!
Simple versus easy... One thing I realized so far is that nothing is simple or easy, everything requires effort and thought. I think one should forget about searching for easy, since there will always be something easier on the horizon... like searching for fortune and fame, it is just like chasing rainbows, you will never get there and the trip is not a pleasant one, or fulfilling...
One has to find peace with himself, to figure out what makes one tick and what justifies one's existence. Contemplation and reflection will help. Sailing on the open ocean, alone, or climbing a mountain will help. Facing yourself and you inadequacies will help. So, for lack of empty space on land, I choose the ocean...
Old 10-08-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
....sh*t I need to buy more beer...
That's Ernest Hemmingway.
Old 10-08-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I heard another great Hemingway quote recently. Can't recall exactly but it was something like: Writing and travel make the mind and the ass grow broader.
Old 10-09-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
since we're quoting famous sayings...

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence; so ask yourself 'is the glass half full or half empty'?

Shoot, I could have had a V8!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.