Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaliasvejas View Post
So, for lack of empty space on land, I choose the ocean...
Not to be argumentative, but there are some very sparsely settled areas of this country. BFE Missouri is rather quiet, but there are other areas that make our county of 9000 souls seem like a metropolis. (OK, I admit it, I'm only trying to justify having moved AWAY from the ocean, leave me with my delusion.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
basically all it comes down to is how simple do you want to make it, and how much you want to spend to make it easy. the only way you can truly make the experience easy is if you have a brand new yacht, with its own team of crew and mechanics. i make it easier by having a refer and computer with internet access. however i never run out of things to work on, and it seems like everything tends to break down or malfunction in some sort of way right when you least need it to.
Old 10-09-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
And so there's that class thing again; the rich have it easy 'cause they buy the best and can afford to keep throwing dough at it while lighting stogies with $1000.00 bills.

But that's not the myth; not by a long shot. While "Yachting" conjures up images of effete bastards named Dabney with navy blue trousers and jacket, white shoes and skippers cap and smoking a pipe while trying to sound like they're blood relations to the Queen of England, That's not what the liveaboard myth promises. In the latter case, it suggests the simple life, away from the stress and pain of suburban mini vans and kids and dumb made-in-China inflatable Halloween ornaments on the front lawn. It suggests freedom and independence and self-sufficiency and a greener lifestyle, not to mention a great view.

For the cost of this one @#$@^# episode I could have rented a waterfront condo for a year. And pretty high up as well. If those guys already living up there knew my situation they'd be laughing their heads off and pissing on my boat at the same time.

As implied above, the myth only works if you've got real money, in which case the boat becomes a prop - you've already got the things the myth promises and simply chose to express your privilege on the water as opposed to several other available choices. It becomes more a question of aesthetics; maybe you still believe in mermaids or life aboard makes it easier to score with chicks.

Last edited by HoffaLives; 10-09-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post

But that's not the myth; not by a long shot. While "Yachting" conjures up images of effete bastards named Dabney with navy blue trousers and jacket, white shoes and skippers cap and smoking a pipe while trying to sound like they're blood relations to the Queen of England.
Dang, and I just went out and bought my white shoes. Can I keep the cap?
Old 10-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Generalizations, rarely, if ever, tell the whole story. Sure, there are "rich" people, who have it easy. So what? I watch people who spend more on one fill-up at the gas dock, then I spent for my whole boat. Would it be nice to have that kind of money? Heck yes. But I don't, and I'm not going to, because it's more important to me to do what I want, than to try to be rich. Or anything else, for that matter.

It's hard enough in this life to be yourself, don't waste your time trying to be someone else's image.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It's hard enough in this life to be yourself, don't waste your time trying to be someone else's image.
You sound like a John Lennon deciple (Imagine no possessions . . . I wonder if you can . . .).
Old 10-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Nope TB, just myself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-09-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Jack Sparrow: Not just the Spanish Main, luv. The entire ocean. The entire wo'ld. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.
Old 10-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Hector Barbossa would have a slightly different analogy of the Black Pearl than freedom . . . more like eternal hell.
Old 10-09-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."
Kris Kristofferson

And that's about right. A little cold maybe...