Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice everyone - looks like there are a variety of opinions. All with pretty good reasons for them. Doesn't make it to much easier. Guess this just means I will have to keep looking on yachtworld and find out which of you is the most right when I get out there he he he
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
If you come to the Pacific North West and BC Coastal area, take my advise; only get a motor sailor or a sailboat with an inside steering station such as the Sceptre 41:

http://www.sceptremarine.com/sceptre41.htm

We get a lot of rain and owning a boat like the Sceptre 41 will extend your sailing season. Believe everything you have heard about Vancouver and Seattle rain. If your boat doesn't have an inside steering station, don't buy it.
Wuss. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-17-2007
Helms ALee!

If it was me I would be getting this instead of the catalina...

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...&srh_next=true

But I like to make sure I'm sailing, not motoring. There are some nice used pilot houses around too, I'm just not into them.

Rain is just water, it doesn't hurt you.... (spoken like a true day sailor!!! ;D )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
My wife and I looked at boats for 4 years before we settled on ours - a CS 36T. We considered pilot houses for awhile, but I just didn't like how space was broken up inside them. The boat we bought has the next best thing, a full canvas enclosure. This gives you a bright porch, and extra room, a place to hang wet coats when you arrive home, and a great view to watch the world go buy, regardless of the weather.
It also keeps you reasonably snug when sailing/ motoring in all weather.

For the $$ you spend, CS yachts are one of the best-kept secrets around. Reasonably fast, points well, bluewater capable if you ever decide to go offshore, very high quality construction, lovely bright interior, and holds value very well. There are many more details I could go into, but after looking at tons of boats, this one seemed to offer the most for what we were willing to pay.

BTW, I recently had to replace the stern tube after a prop wrap, and discovered that the hull laminate is 2 inches thick in this area. The composite guy working on it told us how extremely heavy and well-built these boats are, especially compared to the typical production cruiser.

For the same money, I would go for the better built and seaworthy vessel, even if it isn't laid out as an apartment inside. It is a boat after all.
Old 10-18-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
What ever boat that will work where you are now, will work here in the NW. it does mist a lot, but not rain. At 36" a yr in Seattle, that is 10" less than the east coast gets from May 1 to Oct 1! So in reality, it rains more on the right side of the US< than here on the left side in a given yr. BUT< when it comes down there, it rains cats and dogs and kids and................

If you truly prefere to sail, make sure it will do well in light winds, less than 10 knots is not unusual. Todays supposid 30-40 knot winds in the interior are few and far between. Seeing puget sound as a mill pond is more common than 30-40 knot winds. A bimini might be nice for some occasions. A pilot house............wimp!...........then again, I was born on pill hill. If you have to ask, you're not a native! Trawlers are popular around here too. Not too sure you really want a full keel ocean cruiser for around here, you WILL be motoring a lot! A light to medium displacement boat, SA/Disp ratio of at least 18-1 or a bit more ie 20 o 22-1 for the light air days are good! Fin keels work well, as you will be either going upwind, or down wind. No i between. Lots of HP is good, there are a few channels with currents into the teen speed in knots! You will need to learn about currents, tides etc, or you will go backwards in some places!

When you get here, enjoy the area!
In the end, get what serves you best, as you're footing the bill, not me!

Marty
Old 10-23-2007

rsn48 is on a distinguished road
Well I was going to say don't believe the "how little rain" Seattle really gets, instead I'll let you decide. Basically there is very little difference between Vancouver and Seattle weather, we do get 7 more inches of rain a year.

Below are two web cams, one for Vancouver the other for Seattle, just check in on the Seattle one starting in about a week. Right now we have just moved out of monsoon rains into a good sunny period, influenced by the high generated over California which is pushing our usually nasty weather north. If it is sunny in Seattle, probably on average be sunny in Vancouver, we both get hit by the same weather systems.

Seattle Web Cam:

http://www.splink.com/seattle/

Vancouver Web Cam (Actually Simon Fraser University Web Cam but you can see Vancouver weather if you scroll down)

http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=webcam

Most boaters here and in Seattle boat from May until the end of September, then the boats are basically prepared for our rainy season. If you plan to follow this pattern, then a traditional sailboat will fill your bill quite easily. If you are a cheap guy like me, wanting to get my money's worth out of the boat, you will want to extend your season of boating; this is where you will want greater protection from the elements.

Yes you can get canvas to surround your cockpit creating an extra "cool" room, however my experience is the canvas begins to fade, then get old, then need replacing. In Vancouver, to install this extra room including dodger, bimini and side canvas can cost up to $5,000 - and then years latter will need replacing. Getting an inside steering station, in whatever form the boat takes will be a much better investment. Most of my buddies who own a sailboat wish they had an inside steering station to extend there sailing season.

I've spent many many hours in the rain in the off season, sitting at the tiller while those below were having a great time - no fun.
Old 10-23-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
My wife and I looked at boats for 4 years before we settled on ours - a CS 36T. We considered pilot houses for awhile, but I just didn't like how space was broken up inside them. The boat we bought has the next best thing, a full canvas enclosure.
Different strokes....... We went the exact opposite route. We traded in a c320 with a full bimini enclosure for our NC 33 which is basically the same size but with sooo....... much more living area. I liked the full bimini enclosure but the storage space it took up when not in use and construct/de-construct time were big issues for me. I also really like the 'split level' house feel that the pilothouse gives you. Together in the pilothouse for meals and hanging out with a 360 view or 30 feet apart in totally separate worlds in the aft berth for my wife and me up front in my converted to den like atmoshere forward berth. The galley being in between keeps it a part of the home atmosphere but not intrusive on it either.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 10-23-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
At 36" a yr in Seattle, that is 10" less than the east coast gets from May 1 to Oct 1!
Not sure what part of the east coast you are thinking about. But here in the mid Atlantic we are in drought conditions. South east I understand is even more severe.
A few years ago we had a lot of rain during late winter to mid spring. By Memorial Day we more rain than Seattle, but it was an anomoly. Typical years are not like that, and we've been too dry for a few years now.

Steve
Old 10-23-2007
PNW transplants in CA

paul77 is on a distinguished road
Hey!! the weather in Seattle is an absolutely beautiful fall day today... Wish I could be out on the water!

I generally concur with blt2ski's assessment. We considered Pilothouse to deal with the inclement conditions, but I could never figure out the use of the inside steering station if you actually want to sail the boat... With all the changing variables, traffic, wind, tides, land, you generally aren't going to stay on the same course for very long. I guess with fancy enough winches you could do that from the inside too..

We did chose a CC for the cockpit enclosure though so I am biased.. This was after seeing other snugly warm CCs sailing around while were less than snug on an AC.. even in the spring.

A pilothouse with a raised salon DOES seem pretty fantastic for having a nice view with your morning coffee though, especially on a beautiful fall day such as today..

If you are out here to visit at some point, I _think_ the Gemini at the end of I dock at Shilshole Bay Marina is a liveaboard. You could leave him/her a note and get an opinion on living one.

I have seen a pretty extensive cockpit enclosure on another Gemini as well, C dock at Elliott Bay Marina, giving you a nice porch and effectively inside steering.

If you go the charter route, would highly recommend Windworks sailing, have been a member there for going on 7 years. They have a nice variety of boats, and also social activities.

Also, legal liveaboard moorage can be hard to come by here due to DNR restrictions. The waiting list for regular moorage can be long enough (most places longer than your estimated tenure aboard), though spots do open up in the winter.

Last edited by paul77; 10-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2007
Helms ALee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul77 View Post
If you go the charter route, would highly recommend Windworks sailing, have been a member there for going on 7 years. They have a nice variety of boats, and also social activities.

Also, legal liveaboard moorage can be hard to come by here due to DNR restrictions. The waiting list for regular moorage can be long enough (most places longer than your estimated tenure aboard), though spots do open up in the winter.
I second Windworks, I sailed out of there for a few years before buying this year. top notch organization IMHO.

Everette is about the only easy live aboard solution around here (I won't comment on that marina's other, um, aspects), but if you look around you can often find live aboard moorage on lake union for a premium, but hey, what a darn great location....

btw, if you are military or ex-military you can get cheaper moorage at the navel base in Everette, don't know about if they allow live aboards.