SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   28.6 big enough (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/37667-28-6-big-enough.html)

lsusailing 10-14-2007 03:37 PM

28.6 big enough

I have a Morgan 28 OI and wondering if enough to live on. I am single. Have shower facilities at the Marina and a place to keep clothes and junk. One of simple needs.........

Tartan34C 10-14-2007 04:33 PM

For some people it’s a palace. I lived quite comfortably on an O’Day 26 and a 22 foot Sea Sprite. I did that when I was younger and now I wouldn’t live on anything smaller then my current boat which is a Tartan 34C. It all depends on what you need not the opinion of someone else.

I think the things to consider are the amount of storage and the amount of stuff you need to store. How much headroom is in the boat and do you want to be able to stand upright to cook and such. How do you spend you time onboard and can you do that on the boat you are thinking of living on. By that I mean if you just want to sleep on a boat you don’t need much of a boat. But if you want to spend the weekend reading or watching DVD movies on the computer you need a boat that has enough room to do those things comfortably.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

jerryrlitton 10-14-2007 04:50 PM

Robert, I just wanted to comment on your signature which is most excellent.

camaraderie 10-14-2007 05:49 PM

You can absolutely live on a 28 footer quite cozily!

kd3pc 10-14-2007 05:50 PM

I

I lived on a Cal 25 years back, although narrow the morgan is fine, if you are? I too was single, not much"stuff" and traveled a lot for work. That was in Florida, when I moved to DC, I only lasted until January, before I found a warmer, less hostile situation.

Now I have a Sabre 38, and would not hesitate living aboard at all, year round and still on the bay.

best of luck what ever you decide.

dave

NOLAsailing 10-14-2007 09:16 PM

Try it for a couple weeks before you move out of your shore based home and what you think. Whether or not someone can live on a boat is a purely personal choice - people are living on boats smaller than 28' quite happily.

(Geaux Tigers)

Valiente 10-14-2007 11:07 PM

Sure. You'll probably go sailing more often than liveaboards on larger boats because a) you'll keep a lot of your stuff ashore, and b) there will never be so much on board that isn't stowed or rapidly stowable because even a little bit of disorder will be magnified in a nine foot wide cabin.

You'll be encouraged to keep it tidy because dates/pals over for rum will comprise a lot of your social life. IPod-style stereos are a real boon for you, as are 15 inch flat screen LCD TVs.

pirateofcapeann 10-16-2007 04:50 PM

Well, I’ve been living aboard my 28 footer for a long time now, up here in Gloucester since 1991. Just moved into the marina today for the winter. There’s a lot to consider I suppose, the first being efficient heat, especially if you’re in these climes. Yea, take it one day at a time. You’re either going to like it or hate it but you’re only going to find out by giving it a try.