Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
My wife and I have actually been looking at waterfront property off the OBX - - - just looking, mind you, house is paid for, but still have MANY commitments up here.
Old 10-18-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Oriental, NC looks interesting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2007

YorktownSailor is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Another Vote For The Chesapeake Bay

There are LOTS of jobs for RNs in the area as well as mechanics... Cost of living in the lower Chesapeake bay is reasonable and the SAILING SEASON is year round (for those of us that don't mind wearing lots of layers)
Old 10-18-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Time for a west coast plug... for an American, the Seattle/Puget sound area has it's own charms, and it's proximity to the excellent cruising in British Columbia is an added bonus.

Realestate can be costly still, but the mild climate offers year round sailing- with good rain gear- and handy access to offshore adventures as well.
Old 10-19-2007
wanderlust

mattdee is an unknown quantity at this point
dodge, i live in norfolk virginia and think it would be an exellent place to check out. great hospitals, many cheap marinas in the tidewater area.
Old 10-20-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
good to hear I have a friend that I sail with once and a while that is from norfolk and he has been telling me I need to move there sence I met him but I had to wander because when you live in st louis mo you think that every place other than this is great.
Old 10-20-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
Not to get myself off topic but with the thought of living in a temprate climate is the any of the budget boats IE catalina hunter pearson morgan that I should stay away from. I plan to cruise in the future but the narow beam and price of a good blue water boat just does not seem practical for dockside living and sailing on the bay. looking in the 10,000 to 15,000 range and not a major project.

thanks for all the good info
Old 10-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
dodge...If your cruising plans are for the East Coast/Bahamas then you need not geta bluewater vessel and would be better served by a production cruiser. Your budget is very minimal so I don't think you're gonna get yourself a decent liveaboard boat that doesn't need an infusion of cash and/or effort to make it cruise-worthy.
I would not steer you away from a particular brand but rather caution you to get a survey and engine survey on any boat you like so as not to purchase a sinkhole for your $$. The condition of the individual boat you find and buy will be more important than any blanket statements about brands I might make.
Old 10-20-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Dodgeboatguy, You can find some excellent production cruisers, as camaraderie mentions, and no blanket statements either,- save one. If you search takes you to those older thick hulls of the late 60's and early 70's look for the dimenished hardware and amenities that are often found on the 1974 models. This is the time when fiberglass (an oil product) costs increased by 400% (Carter years, oil cartel, gas lines) and many of the production cruisers took some drastic cuts in what they were providing. 'take care & joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-20-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One thing to keep in mind, living on a boat at a dock, tends to reduce the amount of time spent sailing. It becomes a hassle to put things away to go out. With that in mind, the Norfolk/Hampton area probably offers the most shoreside (jobs, shopping, marine businesses). If I really intended to do much sailing though, I'd look at Deltaville, VA or Oriental, NC, and plan on probably commuting a ways.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.