Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
where to live

ok just thought I would put this out there. come may my girlfriend will be finishing school to be an RN and we will not have a reason to stay in the midwest and would like to live on the coast and liveaboard as we build funds to take a few years off to cruise. So my question is with me as an industrial mechanic and her as an RN any suggestions. we want to find a good ballance of good wages cheap marinas that still take live aboards and good sailing.

I know I am asking for the world here
and I know that there are a thousand options but let hear a few

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I would suggest the lower Chesapeake Bay...Hampton/Va Beach/Norfolk as providing excellent cruising grounds and ample work opportunities, decent climate and reasonable prices for marinas.
I am presently in NC and prices are lower here but work opportunities are more restricted.
Old 10-18-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
2nd vote for the Chesapeake...as Cam says NC is good, but jobs can be an issue...norfolk/hampton great for both RN and Industrial...middle bay is good for both but a bit more expensive..solomon's islnad area comes to mind, several militarybases and regional hospitals

At least worth a visit to the area, before you decide. Good thing about the bay is that it is temperate, not like florida/georgia, bad thing the bay is temperate...can be cold and rainy in the winter...

I've lived aboard and worked from the Annapolis area through DC/Woodbridge and down to the Deltaville area and loved every minute of it.

dave
Old 10-18-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
SE Alaska has a huge shortage of RNs, mechanics can always get work, and it is dirt cheap to liveaboard here... and oh yeah, you cant drive here
Old 10-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
With slip fees starting at $140/foot for 6 months, a bit lower during the off-season months, Narragansett Bay is an expensive region for live-aboards. Home prices are also extremely high.

It's also an area with not many "industrial" business opportunities, but if your mechanical skills are diverse, you should find employment; perhaps in one of the electrical utility power plants, at a local commercial shipyard, or in one of the many boat building resourses. They all need skilled mechanics for installing/servicing marine engines.

However, there is a serious shortage of nurses most everywhere, coastal communities included, so your girlfriend will have little difficulty finding job placement. It's the career path my daughter has chosen.

Narragansett Bay is well known as being one of the best sailing areas in the world, with an incomparable quality of life.
Old 10-18-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Narragansett Bay is well known as being one of the best sailing areas in the world, with an incomparable quality of life.
Ya.... that's a great idea - move to the fridged NE and save the slips and RN jobs in the Carolinas for me and my RN wife in a few years
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-18-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Ya.... that's a great idea - move to the fridged NE and save the slips and RN jobs in the Carolinas for me and my RN wife in a few years
Stan,
They're putting up a new "waterfront" community down here on the mainland, with docks to accomodate 70 slips. RE is going down, down, down around here... By the time you and you're wife are ready, you should be able to get a 9,000 sq. ft. waterfront home with dock for about $10,000. How you doing?
Old 10-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
By the time you and you're wife are ready, you should be able to get a 9,000 sq. ft. waterfront home with dock for about $10,000.
I hear there are also some mint condition boats for the taking down in New Orleans . . . all you need to do is dredge the bottom for them.
Old 10-18-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
It's definitely a buyer-beware environment down here. A new 400-home "plantation" recently went up which was situated around a golf course. The developer went bankrupt shortly thereafter, which closed the golf course, and now all of these people have these new homes with backyards overlooking an immense weed patches. They can't golf, and they can't sell their house. They are stuck.
Old 10-18-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Stan,
They're putting up a new "waterfront" community down here on the mainland, with docks to accomodate 70 slips. RE is going down, down, down around here... By the time you and you're wife are ready, you should be able to get a 9,000 sq. ft. waterfront home with dock for about $10,000. How you doing?
I'm doing great ...... sure tease me some more.....but unfortunatly it's going down here too so I probably couldn't sell out now even if I wanted to Oh... well.... that's years away...... so I'll just suck it up and endure some more winters
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.