Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
You seem intent on making generalizations, assumptions and creating stereotypes as you simply rephrase what amounts to the same post, over and over. I don't know if you're seeking some sort of ratification of your thoughts. Are possessed of rampant envy. Or just have nothing better to do.

People are different, and they make choices applicable to themselves (or should), not necessarily to conform to some illusional "norm". There's much worth pondering about this mystery called life, you seem to choose the least rewarding avenues.

This in no way signifies you are one thing or another, it's simply my view.
I find it interesting that you are able to interpret a question as making assumptions. What I have described is my experience. I wonder what that means, so I delve deeper and ask others about theirs.
That's part of community.

It is not the same post, just a similar subject but with a different focus. People are complex and as you point out, generalisations don't work. So the questions are subtly different. While class and mental health are related they are not the same thing.
I think I'm the best judge of what is worthy of my time in pondering, and if you don't find value in it, you don't have to post.

I am an artist and I have been a therapist, and so I've seen a disproportionate number of misfits. I consider myself one, FWIW, not least because I wonder about this stuff.

Some folks are quirky, some are just weird, and some are in fact dangerous. Some of us have varying mixtures of all three.

Living in a context where my cohorts seem quite socially isolated, I wonder about that. Have they been rejected and so reject? Or do they simply hear a different drummer as the cliche goes. Do people choose difference because they have to due to some inner need, or are they shoved out? Are they motivated by anger or adventure? Of course the answer is yes, but I bring it here because sometimes people are willing to be open to strangers on a forum like this.

Sure you can have a post on the best liveaboard marina, but that's old hat. How about a discussion on why we chose this life, aside from the obvious
How many folks here live alone on a boat because they can't stand people? It's a fair question. Why do we choose a lifestyle that's different, sometimes very different than what is typical.

I chose this life because I hoped for more freedom to write. And because I'm weird. I drive a VW bus painted in zebra stripes and fly a red baron kite from my backstay. I wear kilts and threaten to flash my kids when they don't behave. (Try it, it works).
I've always done things differently, and while there was a time when I was scratching at the windows of society trying to get in (weird is viewed with so much suspicion), I no longer care. I have a lot more fun than most people from what I can tell.
Living on a boat seems just one logical extension of this life.

Last edited by HoffaLives; 10-23-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
As long as one doesn't harm others, maintains their responsibilities, and acts without rancor or ill will, they should be free to be however they want to be. Why try to categorize it? Categories are for Jeopardy, not life.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2007

Waterrat is on a distinguished road
Hear! Hear! Lets hear it for the misfits. I can act normal when I have to but that usually bores me. Hoffa, I have read a few of your posts and I appreciate how you ask questions, from different angles. I read many of the forums so I can understand different perspectives on what works best. You have asked questions to get subtly different perspectives. I just look and don't generally ask. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-24-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Most of my family says I think I'm better than them by giving up the house and moving aboard... the truth is, I dont like mowing lawns. In the boat, if you dont like your yard, wait a few hours and tide will change and all your worries float out to sea............................
Old 10-24-2007
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
I like the small spaces...in a boat
Large rooms give me the creeps, flat walls have dark edges, things come out of the dark corners....
Seriously, I am looking to experience this world, not to be normal... Boat seems like another way to see things, sense the world..
I am single, recently divorced, so you can call me a loner, but I don't feel that way. I like to contemplate things and do not enjoy big crowds and frivolous conversion.

The seeker
Old 10-24-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I bought my first boat in 96, became a legal livaboard, did a lot of work to her and dreamed of taking off one day and being self sufficient. Sold the boat in 04 and went back to Europe to be with my father for his last few months of life. Came back to the States later that year, bought another boat and have spent the past 2 1/2 years working on her. I no longer have realistic dreams of the South Pacific, but want the boat capable anyway. I became a legal livaboard recently when the opportunity came along, before that I was a sneakaboard. I'm no prude but my dock did have a few "low lifes" living there, drink, drug type thing, most have been evicted now. Only worries I ever have about those types is possible theft. There are about 5 livaboards on my dock, a retired couple in a houseboat, a retired IBM female, a guy who just got his license to sell boats, and another guy who lives on a junker, but he's always been cool.
The livaboard life suits me to a tee, I feel independent, it's quiet and while I can talk to anyone in the area, no one invades anothers' space obtrusively.
I can't think of a way of life that affords more freedom than this, and thank goodness it's not a viable choice for most. I'm in my late 50's, and look forward to the last 20 years of my life being spent my way, free of as much hassle as possible. Boring for most I'm sure, but that's ok by me.
I think your question was a good one, and I'm happy but a bit surprised that my life ended up where it did. Everybody will have their own road, but it's nice that we can meet here and share, if we want.
All the best.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 10-24-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Hoffalives,

I have enjoyed your posts and responding to them. Most of my liveaboard years have been in Florida. I thought that the use of boats for low income housing was unique to Florida. Certainly, for my experience, it's more common in Florida. I'm not willing to describe my occassional neighbors as misfits, -they fit in quite well. They are the largest group of non-boaters living on boats in Florida. At one marina that I frequent, there are about eight single men, all living on hurricane salvaged boats with hot plates and a large supply of beer. They seem to be thriving. They are not of the scurrying about in the dark variety. Maybe those are the Northern type.

By the way, I was anchored in the upper Chesapeake two months ago and spent a couple of hours trying to raise my fowled anchor. I think I found your car! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 10-24-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Hoffalives,

By the way, I was anchored in the upper Chesapeake two months ago and spent a couple of hours trying to raise my fowled anchor. I think I found your car! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Now, that was funny.
Old 10-24-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I think to self-identify as a misfit requires introspection, as well as a willingness to share that fact. Given the state of western civilization, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't somewhat a badge of honor; I know that mainstream life is NOT a club to which I want to belong. They have it easier, but in my judgment the price they pay is too high. For all it's leftist trappings, I think Canada is more conservative than the US, in the sense that the collective is stronger. If the US is the beacon of individual accomplishment, I think Canada is representative of a country where the collective is more important. We don't tend to have as many iconoclasts.

So it seems to me that more of the folks that live on the margins do so not out of choice, but circumstance and mental health issues. Certainly as you go north you'll find the frontier ethic still holds sway in many communities and anti-social behaviour can be the norm.

The one yuppy liveaboard community on the west coast is in Vancouver - it costs over $40,000.00 as a deposit just to lease a slip at the Heather st. Marina, so there's no misfits there. These folks not only fit in the mainstream, but play it to their benefit.

I've read a lot of the posts that show up on the forum, and I've wondered why these folks don't seem like so many that I've seen living aboard. That's where the class question came about: the notion that perhaps in the states this lifestyle is more desirable and less the refuge of troubled people.
Old 10-24-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Misfits is not necessarily bad is it ? Personally I think misfititis should be encouraged.

Wombat's motto "Grow Old Disgracefully".

I wish I was a whole lot more disreputable than I am and I intend to work on that for some years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3ljtl-384

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.