Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Set a date, make a plan and get after it. I personally would prefer to not have the option of not living my dream on the days that it's not so dreamy. There's no sense in even having the option of getting wishy washy.

Here's my plan (this week). In four years my building that my business is in will be paid for, and my son will be off to college. I can sell the business and the building for 7-800k. In that four year span I plan to get my scuba instructor license. My wife and I will then move to florida and live aboard our teeny little 27 footer while shopping for a used charter cat that hasn't been all used up. I'll find a job working as a dive instructor at a scuba shop while working on getting my 6 pack license. Once I've made Capt. we'll move south to shop for a small house in a location that I can run enough dive and sail charters to support my not working the rest of the year. I like Belize but the real estate is starting to get pricey. I'm not too picky about location though.

I know. There's a lot of big and important variables left out of my sketchy and far fetched plan, but it beats having nothing to look forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Well Denise, since I am single again, I have been going through the same exercise. What if this, what if that? My 34'er is just barely big enough for me to live on, for a temporary basis. But thats just me, I like space, and a big galley. So, I think about living aboard all the time but I sit here at home and not on my boat, doing the same thing you are. I am figuring out how to finish my house to possibly sell it in the spring. But then what, buy a better house in a better area? Buy a bigger boat with a slip in SF and a slip in Alameda so that I can go back and forth when I need to be with my son? I am sure none of this makes sense to you as it is all personal to me, but just making a point that there is always so much to consider, but why the hell didn't I just go down to the boat tonight and sleep on her? Thats my immediate goal, work with whats available to me right now. Spend days and nights on end staying on her, and see how I like it. Good luck to you.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-31-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I don't get the conundrum at all; I hear what you want to do, I hear a rough idea of how it would go, so what's the issue besides it's something you haven't done and so don't know how that road looks like? You're obviously nervous, but that's a good thing; it means you're alive and contemplating something new. When we stop doing new things is when we start being a waste of space. Life means challenging oneself and seeking out new experiences.
As we get older we become more cautious, but that should just be a little wisdom that keeps (most of us) from doing really stupid things. A lesson that missed that 70+ dork suing his 19-year-old sprig for not doing the nasty with him.
But this is different. Fear is normal, caution is good, think about how to do it, and just do it. It'll work or it won't and you'll still have choices to make.
Keep living while you still have the choice.
Old 10-31-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You have the understand how big a role "stuff" plays in your life. "Stuff", as opposed to provisions, tools, and essentials, is endemic in most lives, and can drive a number of curious boating decisions. In the book "Sell Up and Sail", Bill and Laurel Cooper indicate somewhat contra-intuitively that their age and Laurel's need to cart around a one-tonne library (literally, apparently...we are talking thousands of books) drove them to purchase a 65 foot Dutch sailing barge!

http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog...ng/sellup.html

At the other end of the scale, there are people quite happily living on Contessa 26s. Not many, though...you are more or less at the level of permanent camping at that point.

Investigation of how others have done it can not only help you decide if it is for you, but can also determine if you're doing it the best way (or in the appropriate boat) for yourself. One tactic is NOT to sell the house, but to rent it out for a winter, and to live aboard in the worst local conditions you can anticipate. Get through that cheerfully, and you'll have a lot of your questions answered. Hate it, and you won't have radically altered your circumstances.
Old 10-31-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Valiente,
Well put.
Old 10-31-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Go for it and don't look back. You're considering it seriously enough to post on here about it, so go do it. It's not like you can't ever live back on dry land again if it doesn't work out.

Personally, I would not rent the house while living aboard. There's too many potential problems (poor tentants, late rents payments, no rent payments, broken water heaters, leaking roofs, etc. etc.) that will take up precious space in your mind while you're living aboard. Besides, I'm a Realtor and have seen situation like this end very badly. Playing long-distance landlord is not fun or easy. Management companies are expensive. Sell the house, then move aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Denise -
As I understand it, you are presently paying for both a house and a boat. If you move aboard, your income stays the same because you said you'd keep the HVAC business. Your boat costs stay about the same, maybe increase slightly if your marina charges more for liveaboards (where we are the liveaboard fee is $580/month; if we had the same boat in the same slip but lived on land it would be $500/month). Your house costs decrease (if you rent) or disappear (if you sell). So what's the downside in trying it? At worst, you save some money and decide you don't like the life. At best, you realize you can free yourself of the dirt-dwellers clutter. As Valiente pointed out, you'd at least crystalize the value of 'stuff' in your life.

I'd try moving aboard while keeping your options open by putting your things in storage for a year or two...at least, the ones that have some emotional content. You can always replace a sofa, less so grandma's quilt. I'd rent the house - unlike kwaltersmi, we've had great satisfaction with mgt companies in AZ an MD, both charged about 7 or 8% of the rent, and THEY were the ones that got the 3 am phone call when the water heater went out.
Old 10-31-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I'd go in a heart beat and live on my Gemini, my wife even agrees it's big enough at 34.5x14 ft. Our yahoo group has many many couples that are. We both have occupations that are transportable to anywhere with an internet connection.
What holds us back is the FACT that her mother is 93, and given modern medicine that means my wife will need financial support for at least 40 more years, so we keep the house, jobs etc. I don't expect I'll survive to get my first soc sec check (I've got issues, see other posts). Of course grandkids would bring us back from time to time, but that's doable.
I've spent most of my life in less space than a 30 footer provides; if more space is needed I just go outside and lookaround. Housekeeping is so much easier on a boat too - we have a maid and a lawnservice to 'help' around the house given our busy schedules but I do all the cleaning and maintenance on the boat with joy and happiness (go figure).
Do it while you can, and most importantly while you can still rebuild if its not for you.
Old 10-31-2007
Grampian 26 Owner

sidiag is on a distinguished road
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

-Montrose's Toast

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Stan G.
s/v Tryphena a '74 Grampian 26
-------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
We did it, a few years ago... we were at the point where the house was paid off, the property we planned on building on was paid off.. we were at the point where we would sell the house and build our retirement home on the property we owned........
For us, we weighed out all the options, pro and cons, and decided to travel instead of settleing in.. We're both 55 so we made this decision at 50. Pall we wanted to keep in storage and bought the 42..
We also made an agreement that we would live the life for at least two years before making any other decision.. The first few month had there ups & downs as we got used to our inviorment..
But now we look bac on it and would not have had it any other way.
We've recently been working on a restrained lifestyle........
With the money we had left over the from the house, We invested some of which gives us a return of around $800.00 a month.. and we're working to stay within that area-(without working) and thats tyed to a dock and paying $400.00 amonth for rent.
By working within this budget, we'll be able to leave for our trip around the world within a month or so..
We know we wont be able to move back into a house but we figure when we get to old to sail, we'll buy a motorhome and travel the US hi-ways...watch-out...
We also know that if we dump it all, including the boat, we can by a condo somewhere..... but for now.....we're living our dreams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.