Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Denise,

Great dream - that many of us share. Someday, I hope to convince my SO that this is the way for us to start our early retirement.

I can't share any of my experience, but here are two websites that I have followed about people that have. The first is the blog of a guy in Toronto that lives (or lived) aboard year round with his wife and son on an Alberg 30. http://weliveonaboat.com/index.html Read the archives, they are well written, and not too long. He hasn't posted in a while, so I hope that everything is OK.

The second is the website of Susanne Geisman. http://www.libertysails.com/Susanne and her husband, Ty, decided to quit their jobs in DC after 9/11. They bought a Morgan 46-2 in 2002, and lived "the cruising dream" from 2003-2006. They rented their condo in DC to some college kids while they were gone. Her book Living a Dream is an excellent overview of the process of making the decision, and acting on it. They returned to DC in September '06 to deal with a family tragedy, and then decided to refill the cruising kitty. Susanne currently does seminars on the boat show circuit, and Ty is a defense contractor consultant.

A third reference would be Beth Lenoard's The Voyager's Handbook especially chapter 1. Check it out. You can read most of Chapter 1 on Amazon.com's see inside link. She addresses crew (more than one) capabilities and motivation, and the assignation of tasks.

I hope these help you in your decision.

Ed

P.S. If I were single, I'd go for it!

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-31-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: forgot the URL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2007
Somewhere cold and damp..

badsneakers is on a distinguished road
My two cents:

I knew a guy who was semi-retired and kept his 30 footer on Lake Erie. He worked (if at all) between Thanksgiving and Memorial Day. He lived aboard all summer. His wife stayed at their condo in PA, she no interest in sailing. Winters he moved back with his wife.

Another couple I know plan to live aboard in the summer on the Chesapeake on their 30+ foot pilothouse. In the winter they store it and head to their condo in FLA and sail an 18 foot weekender. Works for them, too expensive I think for my budget.

This guy's life is my goal for retiring...if I ever get the chance.

The point is: Maybe try living next summer on board. This will at least give you a feel for it. You won't HAVE TO sell, rent, etc the house because it's only two months.

Hell 3-4 months? How bad could it hurt? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He who hesitates is lost. Whether you think you can or you think you can't...either way you're right. And all those other appropriate saying...LOL

Good luck!

"Send lawyers, guns and money."
Old 10-31-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I really appreciate everyones kindly and thoughtful replies. thank you all very much.. I'm already sleeping better! It's looking like a 2 yr plan before I can sell the house. Maybe a yr but not likely.. I think my desire to be near my grandkids outweighs my desire to liveaboard. not sure on that yet. I don't know if the trip from the east coast down the ICW the Gulf, and up the Tenn-Tom ICW is even worth the cost when boats in the 30ish range are easy to find. Inland sailing sounds somewhat limiting but then, I'm not ready for coastal sailing yet either! Anyway I promise not to obsess more then necessary. Thanks all!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I think my desire to be near my grandkids outweighs my desire to liveaboard. not sure on that yet.
Gee, Denise, not sure of their ages, but if I were a kid and grandma lived on a sailboat, that would be incentive to spend MORE time with her, not less!

Maybe you could also consider the previous poster's idea of living aboard during summers and not giving up the house yet?
Old 10-31-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Denise, Nancie & I moved aboard a 30' boat in 1972. We're on a 41' now, but it was just because our children kept growing and they are gone now. We don't use the space we have. 'we love our life and live FAR beneath our means. I know little of moving from a house, because we moved aboard from "college apartments", but I think that it is likely to be easier and more rewarding than you maight expect! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-31-2007

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Denise, I have been living aboard my 32' ketch for a year now. Initially I experienced much of the fear that you speak of but after a year I have found that many things just worked themselves out. As far as your boat I would recommend keeping the OD, put a new motor in it and go for it. You donít want to start your big adventure on new boat that will just add to the stress and anxiety. Stick with what you are comfortable with and after awhile you will know if you need a new boat, and a boat with a new engine will be easier to sell. David
Old 10-31-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
What holds us back is the FACT that her mother is 93, and given modern medicine that means my wife will need financial support for at least 40 more years, so we keep the house, jobs etc. I don't expect I'll survive to get my first soc sec check (I've got issues, see other posts). Of course grandkids would bring us back from time to time, but that's doable
Not to hijack a thread, but b'Jaysus that is the damned saddest thing I've read in a long time. What the hell. You have your own life and you will make your decisions as a couple, but if I knew my mate was holding off on doing her dream because of me I would tie her up and flog the life out of her. And after we had our fun, I would really scold her for daring to use me as a reason to not reach her dreams. I sure as HELL wouldn't want that on my conscience.

If your health really is that poor, and this means that much to you...I mean, anyone can have a house and car and Kentucky bluegrass, but how often do people get a chance for their dreams? Name me anything else worth living for? A nest egg? Money? Long term security? And besides, who says they are mutually exclusive anyway?

It's awful noble of you to make that sacrifice, but does your SO know that you are making it for her?
Old 11-01-2007

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain
Old 11-01-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
And besides, who says they are mutually exclusive anyway?
Chuckles, this confused me too. Given your location, I would think you could at least ditch the house, move aboard, and weekend-cruise the Chesapeake while keeping the jobs, etc?? Kind of an emotional down-payment on the cruising dream?
Old 11-01-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The health issues are cardiac related (multiple heart attacks) and strokes (multiple). Strength wise, no problem - I exercise hard and long. I'm not medically able to detach and go without the very real risk of leaving her stranded with a former skipper, now lump of meat as her crew. My last stroke was minor with no discernible lasting effects but occured two weeks ago 2 hours after pulling in from a three day weekend on Swan Creek. It left me weak, confused and unable to speak coherently for about 6 hours - not something you want when you are on blue water. Our old boat she could sail, the new one, she hasn't yet but likely could, well enough for the local area.
On the other hand, I have my dream boat, sail every weekend and on Tuesday we are departing for 3 weeks in the BVI and Cancun. Life ain't so bad.
Financially, we'll go when she's ready, she does want to and we are working towards it. Ditching the house is not an option in todays market, it would be a significant loss. I signed on for the life time obligation and part of that is making sure she's okay after I'm gone.
Yeah, she's aware - she's my partner in all things and would do the same for me.
Hi jack completed _ sorry